1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Worthless foglights?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Justdidit, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I thought so...until i aimed them correctly... BAM!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If your fog lights ...ahem.. suck... AIM them! :) There is a small hole on the under side of the bumper giving you access to the aim them with a Philips head screwdriver roughly 6" long. Clockwise raises them the beam, Counter...the opposite.

...I am also using DDMTunings 9006 55W HID 3000k kit. Makes a WORLD of difference!

Dino33ca likes this.
  2. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    You might notice my headlights are a lil dim with stock 35w ballasts with DDM tunings 6000k bulbs..however, I have tinted my headlights ...but was sent two different shades of tint! Wth??! So until I have re-installed the new Tint, my passenger headlight is brighter than my Drivers side.. see below.[​IMG]

3. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
  4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I tried to do that on my worthless '97 Subaru foglights, only to discover that the mechanical engineer very cleverly designed the mounting brackets to make it impossible to raise the aim. They could only be shimmed down, even worse.

It appeared that those 'fog' lights were designed only to be decorations legal in all 50 state, including a few states were real fog lights were then illegal. This also explained why the fogs on my mother's previous car were worthless. I haven't been interested in factory fogs since.

Are real fog lights legal in all 50 states yet?

5. ahmeow

ahmeow Prius Lover

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was also thinking of mod. the foglight to HID for real lighting but finally just acquired a 64 LED 9006 bulb to match the whitness of the HID headlight. The HID headlight is doing it's job good. :)

Natalie McCarthy and PriusGuy32 like this.
  6. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Mind sharing where you bought the 64 LED 9006 at and how much you paid?

I noticed the fog lights are very yellow compared to the white crisp HID's and it looks tacky. I was hoping to change the fog light bulbs to closer match the HID's.

7. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    You CAN load HID in your Fogs like I did... make a WORLD of difference. You can choose the color temp to match whatever you want.

[​IMG]

I choose 3000k for the fogs because its been proven that this is the best color temp to cut thru fog...foglights. Lots of fog on the coast. However if I were to choose 'driving lights' for the fogs, i would choose closer to 5000k for most lumens. I choose 6000k for my headlights because I like the color and it still produces a ton of lumens.

Natalie McCarthy likes this.
  8. ahmeow

ahmeow Prius Lover

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    H PriusGuy32,
    You can find it at ebay. Just type in LED 9006 bolb will show a lis for you to choose. From HK or China, no problem as I've using them for a yr. No burn out till now. I forgo the pice. It's under $10 each. 64 LEDs is enough. Don't buy the more LEDs as it's longer and unable to suck into the small foglight cavity. Good luck.

9. ahmeow

ahmeow Prius Lover

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thak you Sir for your nice pictures. Yes I know HID fog lighjt really did a good job especially when you need to drive in foggy weather frequetly. In south San Jose, it's seldom have dense fog. So I just got a whiter LED 9006 to match the whitness of the HID headligh. The fty. foglight is really no good. Yellowish.

10. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Yes i do get a bit picture happy sometimes...must be because I am a visual learner.

I'm just confused as to your idea that HID can't be installed in the fog lights to match the headlights. The pictures were to show that I was referencing the color temps and the colors available. 3000k is great for fog...in your case where there is more seldom a different color temp, probably 5000k HIDs would work best, plus have a better lumens than the currently available 9006 LED setups. Unless you have heatsinks to help keep the LED cool...Pretty sure that HID is currently the better way to go. But I'm open to other ideas and facts.

11. ahmeow

ahmeow Prius Lover

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi Justdidit,
    Yes I agreed with you. HID is the best choice as LED is taking over it soon.
    We keep enjoying the nice toy.