1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Would a Gen 2 spare tire and jack work with a Gen 4?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by ny biker, Mar 27, 2022.

1. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    My quick question is in the subject -- if I replace my Gen 2 with a 2022 XLE with rear wheel drive which does not come with a spare tire, would the spare donut and jack from the old car work with the new one?

The full size Gen 2 tires are 15" -- 185/65-15. The 2022 XLE comes with 17" tires -- P215/45R17.

Here's my long story if anyone has advice on my overall best course of action --

I love my car. After 15 years and 216,000 I still feel that buying it was a great decision. In addition to the great gas mileage, it's reliable and has enough cargo space to carry everything I need to carry. But given the age and miles, I am becoming reluctant to use it on long trips. Last year I drove a 2019 Prius as a loaner while having my stolen catalytic converter replaced and was generally happy with it so I'm looking to order/reserve a 2022 model.

For the new car, I want rear wheel drive. The only extra I want is a catalytic converter shield.

I compared the detailed specs on Toyota.com for an LE and an XLE (both RWD). The LE has a spare tire, which I want.

If I get an XLE I lose the spare tire but I gain a few things that I consider important-- an auto-dimming rear view mirror, smart key entry on 3 doors instead of 1 and fog lights. The other differences are not important to me.

I am leaning towards getting the XLE but worry about being stranded by a flat tire so I would look into modifying it to store a spare under the rear storage compartment (assuming that doesn't void any warranties on the car). So far from my research that seems doable.

Thanks!!

#1 ny biker, Mar 27, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2022
  2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "catalytic converter shield" - on Gen 4, they're not being stolen like old PRIUS - only one unconfirmed "hearsay" reports on PriusChat in 6+yrs. There are 2 small ones, one is totally inaccessible (remove the body or the engine to get it).

3. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Good to know, thanks.