1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

would a gen II be worh considering?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by hyhi, Jun 10, 2010.

1. hyhi

hyhi Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Know topic has been covered, especially just before the Gen III were released. Still I'm the new guy so will ask anyway.

For those that own a Gen III and owned prior gen, any series (II, III, IV, V) is there a price point (be fair) at which a Gen II would be worth considering? Not talking about someone giving a Gen II away for next to nothing here.

Trying to figure out the following -
    1. Is the new Gen III so good that even a Gen III, II series would be a better buy then even the best or good packaged' optioned Gen II at a fair price (based on what they are selling for now days on dealer lots at toyota)?

2. If the answer to that question is it depends then what would be a good Gen II package to consider? Guessing they offered many different ones in 09 and prior but leather and backup camera might be nice on a Gen II.

3. I don't know any of the issues (if any) on the Gen II so if there are concerns to speak of (say on the last year 09 Gen II models that would be good to know).

I don't mean to make this a Gen II vs Gen III thread. I'm just a new guy considering options of how to get into a prius at maybe a lower price point by buying used instead of new though the 0% for 36mth or 1.9% for longer does of course save one money when having to finance at last half the deal.

Anyway person at work has, I think, a Gen II which is a pretty light blue color (unlike the darker blue on the 2010) so it made me think about Gen II's today after I sat in hers for a moment. Liked the interior but clueless if later model Gen II's have issues (wrapped dash due to heat, gas tank bladder?, thermal something or another). I recall on some 'I like my Gen II more the Gen III' post I saw today.

Again, I think a prius is cool no matter what year someone owns I would say so not trying to say one is better then the other. Even read something about the UV glass in the new one but even if better then Gen II one could get it tinted.

Both have good points about them and of course time goes by so changes/advances are added to the next gen model line in most cases.

thanks...since I noticed several used 09 models at the lot a few weeks back figured I would ask.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are there still new gen II's on the lot?

3. freo-1

freo-1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I actually went with a 09 Gen II touring with package #6, and I'm very happy with it. The touring actually handles better than the Gen III 15", and it's got all the toys (Nav, leather, bluetooth, upgraded stereo). Also got a lot off the price.

The one thing I did which really improved the ride/handling further was getting Nokian WR/G-2 tyres.

4. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
  5. hyhi

hyhi Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    yes that was the thread I saw as I recall. funny, or not, was trying to find a downloadable pdf of the 2009 prius brochure but cannot locate one on this/other sites. just bad searching on my part I guess. did find a review that showed the specs though thus a gen II package 6 seems to be the top end model (will go look it over in detail after work today but guessing the #6 package had 16" wheels unlike the 17" on gen III V 2010 model thus (if that is correct) maybe the ride is a drop smoother.
    Happy Friday all

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Was in the local Toyota dealer to get some coolant and there were two new GIIs in the showroom. "On sale" for about $25,500 Can. That's only about $3000 off the 2009 list price for base models here (which I believe they were). They were also "demos", so probably not a "good deal".

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, a Gen2 is worth considering. You will need to evaluate the condition, option package, and price of the used Gen2 and compare that to the Gen3 of interest. If you want a sunroof or the avionics (only available on a V) then you will have to buy a 2010. If you want one of the "old" colors you'll have to buy a Gen2.

Gen2 came with 15" wheels. Gen 2 Tourings have 17" wheels.

IMO if you are looking at a lower end 2010 you may be happier with a higher end 2006-2009 (Same car. Options may be bundled differently.)

Personally, my Gen2 had higher FE but my V-AT handles better.

Either way go to www.aaa.com to build & shop for a car.