1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Would a Prius pickup sell?

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by fotomoto, Feb 19, 2016.

1. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I occasionally get to see non-US vehicles made for other markets and came across this one today. It's a Chevy Tornado; Brazilian built and sold in Mexico. In this version, it's a 4cy/5sp FWD and this particular vehicle was a base model with manual windows, door locks, 14in wheels. etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's room under the bed to install a hybrid battery and a couple of e-drives to add AWD and cargo hauling capabilities. Swap the "PWR" letters on the Prius mode button switch for "HAUL" and call it a day! LOL

[​IMG]

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know if you'd have to call it a "Prius Pick-Up" but if you are talking a hybrid pick-up? If you could make the hauling capabilities adequate, and the efficiency gains worthwhile in comparison to ICE pick-ups, I'd think it would have an audience.

At a recent auto show, I was actually somewhat shocked at how expensive Pick-Ups have become.

They are beautiful, luxurious, machines, but buying a Pick-Up now in the US, is an expensive proposition. I'm seeing $35,000-$40,000 dollar Pick-Up Trucks.

I still remember my "low end" entry level 4 cylinder Nissan Pick-Up truck of the 90's. It hauled everything I ever wanted it to haul, and it cost less than almost anything else you could buy at the time.

Seems those days are gone.

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What was the small FORD pick-up model name? It was nice my brother likes them. But apparently not a big demand.

4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I mean take the Prius LB, chop off the back and install a bed (and add the awd stuff I previously mentioned). Done. But hey if that won't work due to uni-body, then, yes, a hybrid truck but a mini design as pictured.

If you're referring to the Ford Ranger, it has had a looooong run (almost 30 years). I've looked at used ones and the owners want crazy money for them (IMO) even with 100's of thousands of miles on them. Same with Tacoma's. All of these have grown portly over the years and can no longer be consider mini-trucks.

#4 fotomoto, Feb 19, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    wjtracy likes this.
  5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yes the Ranger

6. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Haha, I remember it well. Also enjoyed your hybrid boat build. (y)

8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It appears that the hauling and efficiency aren't up to snuff yet. All the ones that came out before had lower tow ratings than even less powerful ICE models. Toyota didn't allow it without AWD on the hybrid. GM's two mode was more capable at towing with a good increase in city fuel economy, but it was expensive without much increase in highway mpg.

We are probably going to see more diesels of reasonable size in the smaller trucks before we see a hybrid one.

As mentioned, it was the Ranger, and it was the last true compact pick up. What's left are now midsize. It was popular enough that Ford held off axing the model for a year or two.

But it was past due for a major redesign. The required safety updates meant the price would increase, and the foot print base system for truck CAFE targets meant that it would be harder for a smaller truck to reach them than a larger one. So they let the model die in North America.

The Ranger was also popular in much of the rest of the world where F150 aren't big sellers. So Ford did design a new global platform for it. I believe it is unibody. Unfortunately, it got bigger than the old model.
    Ford Ranger (T6) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia