1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Would an aftermarket subwoofer drain the battery faster?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by priusenvious1, Jan 12, 2013.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I could do nothing about the car stereo. It didn't have a removable face plate. It had a motorized face plate that flipped around and a security code (that theoretically made the stereo useless to the thief after the power was cut). The CD wallet was left under the seat out of view. I was parked in the parking garage next to Hotel Vancouver in Vancouver BC and it happened overnight on my 1st night I was there.

What was I supposed to do? It's all due to my stupidity, huh?

I learned my lesson to never buy a head unit w/o detachable faceplate and avoid anything aftermarket inside my car. I only bought the car stereo because the stock stereo in the car died.

I was told by the hotel staff that car thieves there tend to target out of state/province plates. After I returned, a Canadian former coworker told me "oh, that's car theft capital of the country! If I'm there, I take everything visible out of the car, including from the glove box and put it in the trunk. I leave the glove box open to show nothing's there..."

As for the second case, it was accidental. I was parked in front of someone's house that I was dating at the time (Zillow put the value of the house at over $1 million, at the time) and accidentally left a fanny pack (with phone, PDA, iPod Shuffle, etc. ) in the back seat of my Prius. The smash and grab happened within ~30 minutes of this. Yes, I was careless and stupid to accidentally leave this in the back.

The house was only a few miles from where I live and neither of our neighborhoods are bad areas, far from it. From
    DQNews - San Francisco Chronicle Zip Code Chart
    , the median price of the homes where she I and lived in San Jose are currently over $850K and from
    DQNews - San Francisco Chronicle Zip Code Chart
    were over $900K, at the time.

I later found out that multiple cars in that neighborhood got broken into that night.

Side note: When I lived in WA, I found out about Advice - rims/tires got stolen - Maxima Forums. Guy w/STOCK alloy wheels on his Maxima were stolen. I lived a few blocks away from there at the time and drove by to confirm his Maxima was up on blocks, missing its wheels. :( At the time, I owned a Maxima of the same generation.

That also isn't a bad area and was less than 1.5 miles from the Microsoft campus.

2. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    This Kicker could easy fit under the passenger seat floor or maybe under the battery pack in the EX cargo area. Nice find!!!

3. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I'm sorry about what had happen;I didn't want to stir all those memories. Nice explanation tho.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    It's just something to keep in mind for anyone who wants to mod or get anything aftermarket. It hopefully explains part of why I'm even less interested in mods than many and is a cautionary tale.

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Under normal usage, you'll probably use about 75 Watts. About 1/3 of EV mile for an hour of subwoofer isn't a bad trade off.

Not sure how much weight it'll add, probably not worth to take consideration.

6. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hold on, you can't stop there.

Assuming your average speed in EV is 20 mph. That 1 mile decrease over 20 miles distance traveled is equivalent to 5% hit on fuel economy. It's not nothing but will be difficult to measure.

In other words, you don't get free energy for nothing. With additional energy draw from an amp and subwoofer, you will take a theoretical fuel economy penalty hit, Prius or not.

But something on the order of 5% is not likely noticeable unless you are really accurate in tracking your fuel economy which may be possible with better EV metrics. But with the gas fuel pump, about 4% is how much I fluctuate between tanks. The average driver will not notice 5%.

7. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Oh man, you really do not want to open a can of worms. Maybe some body will write a 40 pages white paper about the hit loss on a 1/3 of a EVmile.

lensovet likes this.
  8. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I would sacrifice sometimes 260 Wh/mi to crank the sub in order to subdue a nagging passenger ( no pun intended)

9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I get about 12 EV miles so average speed will have to be 12 mph to get an hour drive (and sub operation of 260 Wh). With 2.7 kWh available, that's about 9.6% hit.

If I average 24 mph, sub usage will be half an hour (130 Wh). That's about 4.8% hit.

Since OP is considering a sub that would normally use 75 Watts, we are looking at about 2.8% hit at 12mph (an hour drive) or 1.4% at 24 mph (0.5 hour). The shorter the drive, the lower percentage it will be, just like the headlights and wipers usage.

10. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    OP: traction battery is the name given to the large lithium ion battery that provides the tractive (moving) force for the car. So it's used in both EV and HV modes. The point of that fancy name is to distinguish it from the aux battery, which is the 12V battery you have in all cars.

11. bielinsk

bielinsk Gremlin

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I find in the Advanced during the summer if I was really bumping the music, say 45+, my mileage would suffer in EV. I could easily lose 2 miles off my 13 average.

12. priusenvious1

priusenvious1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    So basically, it's that battery you see in the graphic on the dash display when you see energy flowing in and out?

13. priusenvious1

priusenvious1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    This is useful. Thanks.

14. priusenvious1

priusenvious1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Are you sure it's not from the AC???

15. Gruvin2

Gruvin2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I currently have a 5 channel (660RMS) amp and polk audio components as well as a pair of 6x9's and a 12" sub. I can say the loss of EV is negligible I play at a moderate+ level most times. I play the stereo for my commute of 9.1 mi (30min avg) and still have 3 mi range when I arrive. YMMV of course. I weigh 240lbs and my sub also weighs 52lbs! Sounds soooo much better then stock of course. I love the reactions I get when I pull up to a light and people try to figure out where the bumpin' is coming from, then realize it's from the PIP!

priusenvious1 likes this.
  16. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    yes, exactly

17. bielinsk

bielinsk Gremlin

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I rarely use AC.

18. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thumbs
    Thumbs up. That's a dream combination! 6x9 and subwoofer combination is superior in bass sound!