1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Would installing this void my warranty?

Discussion in 'Prime Accessories and Modifications' started by mveras1972, Jun 24, 2019.

1. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    This is in favor of Toyota. They show that damage was caused by the consumer and the warranty is void for modified items. There is little burden of proof here - the modification would be clear and apparent.

This modification would not void the warranty on the cylinder head, for example, but if there were electrical issues then Toyota might have a strong case for warranty exclusion.

#21 jb in NE, Jul 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It will depend on just what the electrical problems are, how electrically savvy the customer is, and how well the former can pull the wool over everyone else's eyes.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    And the US Federal Government. (when in the US)

4. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The warranty is offered in accordance with applicable laws, which does involve the US government, but the warranty is not between Toyota and the government. Even if the vehicle owner does not get satisfaction from Toyota, the next step is dispute resolution as spelled out in the warranty. There may also be state requirements, etc.

5. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The best warranty is "one that you never use." Get the job done right in the first place.

It is a contract between the vendor and the consumer. Unless the vendor has violated laws and the product causes a life risking safety issue, law enforcement will not likely get involved. Cost for litigation will be in civil court.

Having seen many after market accessories installed by do-it-yourselfers an even so professed professionals, I can see how many of these can cause a voided warranty.

A fuse tap can cause a dead short and burn up the internal wiring harness if incorrectly installed. As I stated before in an earlier post, installing the tap in a reverse direction will negate the protection of the new fuse. A dead short in the new accessory would burn up both the accessory and the internal wiring harness of the vehicle. In that case the warranty is voided.

jb in NE likes this.
  6. mveras1972

mveras1972 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Put the underlined fragments together and it is pretty evident that someone has to demonstrate that the failure was due to a vehicle modification.

7. mveras1972

mveras1972 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I just installed the fuse tap and decided to test the information you provided. I found that, while it is important to install the fuse tap correctly, failure to do so does not result in the output wire not being protected. Instead, what happens is that the car circuit will continue to be protected the same way with one fuse, while on the output wire the current flows through both fuses in series. This is what I found based on my tests with a continuity meter and the tap I purchased. Basically, it is constructed in such a way that there is no way to have the output wire be hardwired when the tap is installed either way. When installed in the correct orientation, one fuse protects the circuit that goes to the car accessory, and the other fuse protects the output wire independently.

iPhone ?