1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Would like better cornering.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Zeus661, Apr 19, 2013.

1. WilMent

WilMent diacritic

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I did the same on my track days, but the ultra high performance track tires are a whole different animal, can't compare that to all-season LRR tires. Weather is almost nice enough to take the Z for a little fun, going to destroy these tires before I sell it:p

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Keep in mind that an increase in handling feel doesn't always translate to better traction. Especially on rougher surfaces. :)

WilMent likes this.
  3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The PIP rides well but I don't feel it is much different than the Prius. I think the difference you felt was likely due to the difference in tires and tire pressure. The Bridgestone Ecopia EP20 seems smoother than the AVID S33D and Fuel Max tires.

4. WilMent

WilMent diacritic

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Very true, but the added confidence is enough on the Prius. I can almost take on/off ramps as fast as my 370Z (On the track it was a different story), I don't see myself going faster than 60mph on it, the tires gave a small sense of slide at that speed. The Z also enters a mini power slide at that speed, difference is on the Z I can power myself out if I lose it, on the Prius - I'm screwed.

WE0H likes this.
  5. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

What gas do you run? I use 89 octane but testing it in other vehicles kind'a makes me think it has a lot of alcohol in it. I drive my car sometimes watching the ScanGauge mpg's and other times just normal. I don't beat on it at all but I will not be dragging my behinder from a stoplight :)

Mike

6. WilMent

WilMent diacritic

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I use 87, what is your experiences on the 89? I have not heard of any benefits running higher than recommended. On most threads and websites, I've read some detrimental effects.
    I never drag the Prius neither in fact none of my previous roadster can win any trophies on a drag race (losing battle vs supercharged and turbo 600+ American muscle), but I usually catchup and past them on the turns, I just take corners and maintain speed limit speed at the turn exit, pretty hard to do on a Prius:p

WE0H likes this.
  7. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Increasing roll stiffness does not translate into higher cornering G force, meaning you are not really going around the corner faster before losing traction. It is the chassis design that matters.

8. WilMent

WilMent diacritic

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    My wife's Prius came with Ecopias, they are much better than the Fuel Max(n) that I had on mine. It must be my imagination along with my lead foot then.

WE0H likes this.
  9. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Oh there was a post long ago on here about running 89 octane verses 87 octane and comparing mpg's. Some found 89 giving a bit more mpg's than 87. I have no idea where that thread is but I recall reading thru it back then. I do know that 105 octane moonshine runs ~45 mpg ;) I run 89 is everything but the cars that need the good stuff. If I am stuck at a place with dirt cheep 87 verses 10 cents a gallon more 89, I will drop in the cheep stuff :) Lately the 105 moonshine has been priced $1.20 a gallon less than 87 octane so that is looking like a smokin deal for this season. We'll see what I run or not ;) One of our boosted cars needs better than 92 pump gas so we run blends to keep those pistons from melting :)

I'm an old school autocrosser so on occasions I will test the grip in my Prius. A couple of times I took a rental and put it in test mode and I could not get it to rip the tires loose off the line :( Need some software tweaks to utilize the full potential of the electric motors.

Mike

10. WilMent

WilMent diacritic

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    105 on a Prius:eek: I'm not familiar with moonshine, but something about that little engine tells me I shouldn't play with the octane too much. It will throw the thermodynamic and compression/combustion ratio way off. Prius gives a little tire spin on reverse only:D

11. WilMent

WilMent diacritic

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Yes, chassis has alot to do with it hence the braces and sway bars. Every tire has a optimal pressure for every purpose. Handling, comfort, or FE can be improved at different levels for each. The Prius recommended pressure however, is no where close to optimal handling for my tires.

WE0H likes this.
  12. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bob Wilson did some testing on that 105 octane stuff. It is normally called E85 :) It runs fine in 1st thru 3rd Gen but some don't like it for whatever reasons. I have a sneakin suspicion that 92 octane is E30 up here and 89 is about E20. I am no chemist but watching mpg's can give a fellow an idea of what's in the tank.

Even though test mode is supposed to turn traction control off, with all that electric torque you'd think it would light 'em up off the line but it doesn't even make 'em scream :( Me thinks the software is holding back big time. I will continue to find someone local that wants to take a stab at the program. It sure would be nice to allow a track mode for those quartermile weekends ;)

Mike

WilMent likes this.
  13. WilMent

WilMent diacritic

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I've read his post before, I am still skeptical on extended use on the Prius though. I am not much of a chemist but I am wary of having too much variation of chemicals inside the tank, combine with combustion I just cannot predict all of the possible chemical reactions. Something about this car keeps me from experimenting too much.

14. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hear YA there. Lots of opinions and stuff online. Bob did his tests as have others. I say to each their own what they run in the tank ;)

Mike [​IMG]

WilMent likes this.
  15. WilMent

WilMent diacritic

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Now back to handling upgrades.

Since the OP never followed up, I don't think it counts as hijacking:ROFLMAO:

WE0H likes this.
  16. WilMent

WilMent diacritic

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Since I couldn't get it off my mind, I've call the dealership about the PIP rental. The suspension is upgraded, along with other things. Apparently, it is one of the weekend hobby car for the mechanics and manager. The service rep gave me the wrong one, and was in a little bit of trouble.