1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Would like to start the ICE in shop to check ICE

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by TheSnowSnake, May 9, 2015.

1. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    See also posts 15 ff in the same thread. I'd say that the OP wouldn't need to buy any hobby chargers. He probably should discuss with Jeff, who I'm sure will be able to steer him in the correct direction and also advise on the best strategy to charge and balance.

#41 dolj, May 13, 2015
    Last edited: May 13, 2015
  2. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Was aware post #15 w/in the thread.

We have differing views on this matter.

Ultimately OP can go do whatever he wants as its his car, money, and time.

3. TheSnowSnake

TheSnowSnake Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Going to order Grid charger good for any Prius we may buy for fun.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I believe it comes with cables you have to install on vehicle. I may have it wrong, maybe some one can confirm?

That's not a deal breaker, but keep in mind you'll subsequently need to uninstall the cable or purchase another.

TheSnowSnake likes this.
  5. TheSnowSnake

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe since I have all of your attention: Is there anything else that could be result of been hit in back, that would prevent ICE from trying to run. I have removed the small battery overnight a few times and was told that would reset the NO-RUN codes. Still waiting for my reader.
    Remember this car is jacked up will sometimes go ready and spin the wheels up to 30 KM then peters out . Ready goes away, I did this once and will not do any longer till I figure whats up. I'm old school figure if the engine is turning at that speed has fuel and spark (putt putt ) yes/no.
    :rolleyes:

Roger Mendel Cables will not be a problem (He says fingers crosssed)..

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well, i wouldn't buy the grid charger until i had the mini vci and retrieved the codes and read the battery voltages.
    the engine is not turning, you would know it. kinda strange that it goes ready though.
    there is a system that uses the engine to burn off excess energy when the battery is full. not sure how/why that would apply here though.

7. TheSnowSnake

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can make it ready (sometimes) and yes it will spin and power the wheels. (NO ICE)
    I will not do this any longer til I read the codes and find out what may be wrong.

8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't mean this in any kind of malicious or disrespectful way, but yeah, you do have some funny ideas. Like you said his car, his money. I'm just trying to give him options and doing it the hard way isn't always the best way.

9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do not do anything else until you have been able to charge the HV battery to a least 3 Bars. Who knows you could have already destroyed your HV pack with what you have done already.

Have you had a chat to Jeff about whether his charger is suitable for your needs?

10. TheSnowSnake

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You know I may have found the problem.. Oh course I require the help of all you fine folks.

When I brought the car home after hitting button twice--The fuel gauge would show one little bar left side then after a few seconds blink the whole bar graph.. OK so I added fuel to my surprise it didn't take much to fill it,.It does the same blink blink I will check the wires and connecter on the fuel tank.. I believe there is a fuel problem. I f there is a fuel problem it will send a no run right?

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i've never heard that, but if you're out of fuel, the ice will shut down and the dash will light up.

12. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Three things your Prius needs to run:

1) Fuel (in the fuel tank) at least 11 litres (3 gal (US))
    2) Electricity (in the HV Battery) at least 2 bars, 3 and its happier.
    3) Electricity (in the 12 V). Make sure it's healthy and fully charged.

If you take care of those things first and then start looking at what DTC's your car has logged.

Post your DTC's and then we can give you an informed opinion of what is wrong.

All the best.

13. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does this mean that all ten bars on the fuel gauge are blinking? If not, how many bars are blinking?

If the Prius has detected a no-fuel problem, then the car will refuse to start until the fuel gauge reports that at least 3-4 more gallons of fuel have been added. If you are not able to add that much fuel, you can get around the problem by disconnecting the 12V battery to clear the existing DTC and force the fuel gauge to read the existing fuel level in the tank.

However I do not think this is the problem if you were able to make the car READY previously. I do not think it is a great idea to run the engine and transaxle in D while the car is up on a lift because the front wheels are turning while the rear wheels are stationary, and at minimum this will cause the skid control ECU heartburn.

14. TheSnowSnake

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am thinking the problem is physical damage to the tank/wires I will check that tomorrow.
    And yes the whole gas graph blinks. I'll check the tank tomorrow.

15. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    No offense taken. We have different views/approaches to achieve the same result: a working HV Battery.

Yes, my approach (rebuilding HV Pack) is not easy. However it has some advantages:
    1) Any visibly defective modules (ie leaking) will be seen immediately.
    2) 3 discharge/charge cycles could point to suspect modules immediately; Post #26 & 27, Gen II Prius Individual Battery Module Replacement | Page 2 | PriusChat
    3) You can better match capacity, voltage, and resistance of the modules to help maximize longevity; Post #32, Gen II Prius Individual Battery Module Replacement | Page 2 | PriusChat

Grid charger would be great for a known working HV Battery, and used in a car that will sit unused for extended periods of time like snow birds.

16. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the sticking point is the "rebuilding" the pack vs rebalancing the pack. You also assume, based on no evidence, that there are definitely one or more bad modules.

However, if you have Techstream, it is not necessary to dismantle the battery and test each cell individually to assess whether there are any defective modules.

If your assumption is correct, then I whole heartily agree with all your points above. But if the battery has only self-discharged and otherwise is in good health, then all that is required is a full balancing charge and then a discharge to between 40 to 80%. Just from sitting for a long period will not lead to bad modules (or even cells). In fact, it is a good way to store NiMH cells.

I think this is my fundamental point of disagreement. I think if you read post #8 and post #15 in the thread you linked to earlier again -- Prius sat for 2 years | Post #8 | PriusChat -- it says it better than I could.

I hope that helps you and others following this slight diversion O/T to see where I'm coming from, but I think this all I will say on this.

17. TheSnowSnake

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I still have not looked at the gas tank hookup but, it makes sense that the car was serviceable until got smacked in the rear. Very minor damage broke the rear bumper and cracked the case on the emergency brake module (replaced). and a slight dent in the truck lid and a little in the section below (I have done a lot of body work and will have no problem with that.) I will keep you up to date with what I find. I guess a no-start code would not prevent running on the battery, thus the ready light and ability to move the vehicle. I just love this stuff what a challenge. The Prius is a amazing piece of ingenuity.

18. TheSnowSnake

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I found this hope it helps:

Bear68
    Easter Egg Time.... Anybody wanna reset the fuel gauge inclination
    sensor? Make sure your fuel level is somewhere between 1/4 and 3/4, and
    temp should be about 70-90 F.

Step 1: PARK ON A LEVEL SURFACE!!!! If you are on a slope you will reset
    the sensor to an incorrect level!!
    Step 2: Press the ODO/trip button to turn the odometer to trip A
    Step 3: Turn off the ignition and set the parking brake.
    Step 4: DO NOT STEP ON THE BRAKE PEDAL! AT ALL! IT ISN"T NEEDED FOR
    THIS PROCEDURE!!
    Step 5: Press and hold the ODO/trip button and press the Power button
    twice.
    Step 6: Release and press the ODO/trip button three times
    Release-Press-Release-Press-Release-Press and HOLD.

The Odometer on the combo meter should now be showing the normal
    mileage, as you hold the ODO/trip button down, the reading should change.
    Something along the lines of 650D0 or similar. The actual figures don't really
    matter.

Step 7: Release and press the ODO/trip botton once more and HOLD it in.
    The figure will change again. This time, only ONE digit will change.
    650D0>65010 as an example.

Don't be afraid to try it. Even if it doesn't work, you won't goof anything up.
    Try, try again. It sometimes takes a half dozen attempts before you get it
    work right the first couple of times you do it. This only needs to be done
    once in a while. I would recommend once every ten tanks or so. I usually
    only do it when a customer has a fuel gauge issue. [Emphasis added.]

19. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    how about towing it with all 4 wheels on the ground and using the braking system to generate power to recharge the battery pack..
    remove the 12 battery and charge it and add a few gallons of gas..I never trust these gauges...I let it drop to two bars once and ran out with in 12 miles...now I fill up every 300 miles no matter what the gauge says

if the car was hit in the back Id bet the 12 volt battery damaged internally ...check the web to see if these cars have a fuel safety cut off relay like the fords do, it kills the fuel pump in a rear end hit or roll over

#59 Beachbummm, May 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  20. TheSnowSnake

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Beachbummm Thanks
    Thats what I thought but the only shut off is reset when battery 12 volt is reset.I'll keep looking the battery is fine and replaced anyway.
    I'm going to trace the C/OPN circuit to see what I can see.
    Do really think towing it would recharge the Main Battery?