1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

would P0A80 code cause hybrid Battery to overheat?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by shens32572, May 23, 2020.

1. shens32572

shens32572 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have been getting "Check hybrid system" message few times this last week. When it happened today the Battery temp was like 130 F (in Dr Prius) . I stopped for 1/2 hour, unplugged 12 volt neg cable, the message went away but the temp actually went up to 136F after setting for 1/2 hour. I should mention I have cleaned the fan & ducts, so I dont think that's the issue. I do live in Phoenix, but it was only like 97 degrees today.

I have a 2014 Gen3 Prius, I pulled the top off the battery to load test the cells with a 55 watt headlight module tester, after 2 minute load test the voltage would drop about .35 -.38 volt on most of the modules , did have 3 that dropped .42 volt,but no smoking gun. The resting voltage was consistent within .02 volts. This is the first season i have had apps (Dr Prius & Torque) so I dont know what temps were last summer.

I did recently recondition Battery with my Prolong Charger / Dis-charger, due to a drop in MPG, battery is getting tired.

The fan is running at different speeds ( was at speed 6 @ 136 F ) I do have a used fan coming from ebay next week, bought just in case that's issue.

My question is would P0A80 code ( from a bad module ?) cause the hybrid Battery to overheat? Would inverter issue cause this? the P0A80 " Replace Hybrid Battery" is only code I have.

There is not a huge difference in the voltage under load on the modules, if there was one or two modules that
    showed 1 volt difference I would be more inclined to try and fix the pack. I might try a used salvage battery, as my car has 200k miles.

any ideas?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    definitely. open the case, and take a good look at all the modules to see if there is any distortion.

and talk to jeff at hybrid automotive

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The code won't overheat the battery, but the conditions that create the code could cause the battery to overheat.

I'd make sure you have all the air ducting to the battery connected properly, run the air conditioner full blast to get cool air into the battery. Check that the battery fan is running full speed. If it's that hot, you should be able to hear the fan loud and clear if you turn off the A/C. It's possible (but unlikely) that one or more of the battery temperature sensors could have come loose and not be reading the actual battery temperature.

The battery isn't very old and age is a bigger factor than miles. However, heat is the great multiplier and you're not exactly living in the ice box of North America.