1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Would you buy a four wheel drive SUV/truck that got 39 mpg?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by burritos, Mar 16, 2008.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hypothetically, let's say that car company A developed some advanced proprietary hybrid technology that enabled them to get great gas mileage and at an affordable price. Let's say the mileage that could be achieved was 39 mpg(real driving) in 4WD, and if applied to a prius sized vehicle, one could get upwards to 90 mpg and double that with a plug-in. However, let's say said company's vision did not care about global warming, didn't not care about emissions, and in an unofficial CNW way despised the left/environmental attitude that is typified in prius buyers. Now let's say company A had a shortsighted vision and ONLY wanted to use to technology to corner the truck and SUV market, but absolutely did not want to use it in the car market, had absolutely no plans to maximize the technology's potential, nor did it want to sell it's technology to any company who did. This of course is an improbable scenario, but it's my scenario so don't change any variables.

Would you have any problem with this company?

If you did, would you buy a truck/SUV from this company?

Yes, we care about absolute MPG, but do you care more about maximizing the technologies potential with regards to MPG?

For me, yes, yes, yes. Would that make me a hypocrite?

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i don't like trucks or other big vehicles but... would they make a high end sports car?

:D

3. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When I look at a vehicle, the question is "do I need this vehicle?"

If my needs justify a pickup I'll get it.

I can't justify getting a 4wd SUV, but if I needed a family vehicle, a 2wd SUV, CUV, or van I might consider.

If a 4wd SUV can get 39mpg, why not get a 68mpg car if that's all you need? In fact, I did that. ;)

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't need a truck or SUV.

I see no reason to take a hit in mileage from my Prius.

But for some people, this would be a good compromise. Especially if it can haul a trailer.

5. Jack66

Jack66 Kinda Jovial Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There was a definite period where I needed a truck and that need has passed so I wouldn't buy the truck/SUV. I would probably recommend it to people that needed an SUV/truck if it was an all-around good vehicle.

What my wife and I really want is a 40+ MPG minivan.

6. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Burritos,

This sounds somewhat like Ford has done. Put a Turbo on the FEH and you got your 39 mpg SUV.

7. wiiawiwb

wiiawiwb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    YES, In a heartbeat.

8. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    We bought a Nissan Frontier 4x4 about a week after we bought our prius. here in the mountains we need four wheel drive, and we need a truck for hauling landscaping plants, mulch, dogs, bikes, etc..... The Nissan gets fairly decent mileage for a 4x4 truck, around 23 I think.

Our Prius now has just over 33,000 miles on it and the truck now is closing in on 10,000.

9. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm not really sure why you think this would be hypocritical. In lots of areas, people need 4wd for winter driving conditions. So a 4wd that gets 39 mpg (why not round up to 40?) would be great because it could replace a lot of vehicles that get 15 -20 mpg. That would save fuel and lower emissions as well.

I bought a Prius, but I kept my 4wd. Because every once in a while, I actually drive it in a snowstorm or tow a trailer with it. But I put the majority of the miles driven on the Prius now, so I am saving fuel and polluting less.

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Not good enough, it it isn't at least 44.3 mpg, I couldn't consider it.

My beautiful wife just reminded me, it would have to achieve 53.72 mpg and not one 1/10th of an mpg less. Yes, my beautiful wife, Morgan Fairchild and by the way, it must run on a mix of well water and bacon fat, yea.

Bob Wilson

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't found a need for an SUV so probably not. Even if it got 50mpg, I don't need a truck.

If it was.. say a 39mpg AWD wagon... maybe since it's lighter (less sheet metal and lighter AWD system vs. 4WD) and better handling (lower centre of gravity), less expensive to insure (it's a Passenger Car not a Light Truck) and cheaper to maintain (servicing and replacement costs such as tyres and brakes).

12. kayak_hauler

kayak_hauler New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I traded in a 97 Nissan truck for my Prius, and kind of miss having the bed. A rack on the car makes it so I can haul boats, bikes, ect. though. Our other vehicle is still a 03 Jeep G Cherokee, so I would definitly trade up for 39 as opposed to ~17 mpg! Right now we're figuring on the Escape when we trade up, but I agree with Tideland, an AWD wagon would serve our purposes just as well...., When's the AWD Prius coming out again?? :rolleyes:

13. Brodie

Brodie New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am selling my F150 4x4 for a Prius. Can't justify getting 15 mpg anymore. however, I will really miss my truck sometimes. I could see getting a cheap one down the road for when I need it. If I could get a 40 mpg AWD or 4WD vehicle I would probably do it.

14. HardCase

HardCase SilverPineMica, the green one

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sure, I'd buy it. While there might be exceptions (for example, where possible I try not to buy products made in China.....although that's sometimes tricky), I tend to look for products that meet my particular needs/wants. Possibly self-centeredly, I look more at my motives than the manufacturer's.....which, almost no matter how you slice it, is going to be profit.

I "need" a truck. I live in a rural state, enjoy getting into the back-country, hunting, camping, traveling the fire and logging roads, and also like the ability to haul the occasional load of lawn-debris or whatnot to the landfill. And I find 4WD to be a better choice given the winter weather we sometimes get around here. My Prius is my daily driver and my road-trip machine. I wouldn't want to take it down a snow covered logging road, however.

I recently purchased a Toyota Tacoma, it's 4WD and compact and yet quite rugged and spacious, and gets better mileage than most trucks. Still, at around 22 mpg I'm not inclined to drive it all that often unless I specifically require its truck capabilities. If I could have gotten something for a half-way reasonable price that got nearly double that mileage, I'd most definitely have done so.

15. removeum

removeum Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    :rolleyes:I currently have a 2007 Lexus 400h AWD and average 30 mpg. So I would think about it only if it was a Toyota/Lexus.