1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Would you buy a Prius again?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dzitlow, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If there's a Camry Hybrid, you can be damn well sure the ES Hybrid will be right behind!

2. senna4ever

senna4ever New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That would be awesome. Imagine a Camry/ES hybrid with gobs of power for Corolla efficiency!

3. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :D:D:D

You know the RX400h? I took one out for a test drive and averaged 9.0L/100km. That included my acceleration/brake test, city roads, short highway trip at 80-90km/h and a nice country road. The salesman wanted to make sure I covered as many different types of road as possible. So yeah, I expect the Camry/ES Hybrid to be much more fuel efficient than that since it'll be lighter and there's a possibility of both a 4 and 6 cylinder hybrid:)

4. Jetson

Jetson New Member

I'd buy another one with out one moments hesitation. I drive a lot, and love every minute. The 50+mpg helps the decision also.

5. devo1182

devo1182 New Member

No. In fact I will trade mine in on a '06 Civic Si or '06 Acura RSX.
    Two Toyota service departments have checked the aim of my HID headlights and both say they are fine. I drive 62 miles at night and at around 13,000 on odometer, my lights suddenly aimed themselves lower.I know there is a problem with the device that senses the load in the rear of the car. After 59 or so miles headlights adjust themseves upward. Ofcourse since I adjusted lights manually myself, they now become to high. The car is to high tech for it's own good.
    As soon as I started thinking about trading car i started to notice other things that irritate me. CD player skips to easily. Self dimming rear view mirror does not get dark enough even with black tape covering sensor. Speakers are crap. Sub helps, but crap is still crap.
    This will probably be me last post here and I want to thank the group for all that you have taught me. Good luck.

6. popoff

popoff New Member

Well, there's at least one in every group. :roll:

To each his own! Sorry it didn't work out for you.

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This is why I bought a package #1.

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    after seeing all the HID headlights problems, I am also glad I didn't get a package with those included... I think we would have regretted it.

I've never had a CD skip... and I like the dimming mirror. I guess everyone has their own preferences. Good luck, devo.

9. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sorry Devo.. I'm sure there is a buyer for your car, waiting at the Honda dealer.

Bob Andersen

10. popoff

popoff New Member

All the problems?

Would you mind elaborating on that? I've had them on 3 vehicles since 2000 and have found them vastly superior to halogen as well as trouble free.

I know the very early ones had an annoying blue tint but that's no longer the case.

11. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    popoff, I've heard a number of nightmare stories about the Prius HID lights. I don't know if it's the auto-leveling system or what, but there was a long thread here somewhere regarding someone going to a whole lot of dealers and noone even acknowledging that anything was wrong. And the guy couldn't even see very far down the road at night. So I'll pass. Glad we got the package 5.

12. Lefty

Lefty New Member

We've only had our 2005 Prius for 3 months, but so far we'd definitely buy one again. We've had no problems, no reasons for us not to buy another one - - and 50 MPG with extremely low emissions are HUGE reasons in favor of buying another one. At this point it's a very simple question for us to answer.

13. tiffanyjoy

tiffanyjoy New Member

i love my HID headlights, so far they work great! *knock on wood*

14. Gen2

Gen2 Member

I definitely would buy another and plan to do so as soon as possible. Why? I couldn't say it any better than Galaxee already has.

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry it didn't work out. Make you sure you get the car you want asap cause the RSX is going the way of the Celica/MR2 and as far as I know, the Civic Si (SiR in Canada) isn't sold in Canada any more.

16. jmneely

jmneely New Member

I just got my third Prius.

My first was an '01 demo w/ 4000 miles on it when I got it. I put 50,000+ on it and traded it for an '02. I put 59,000 on the '02 in three years.

I bought the '05 and sold the '02 for over Blue Book retail.

I've enjoyed driving them and the '02 had absolutely no maintenance issues. I figured last year's gas cost was .03 per mile. The only thing I spent on the '02 was gas and tires. It came with free oil changes.

I commute 26 miles each way to work and it's been good to get decent mileage.

jn

17. bobjeri

bobjeri New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In order to drive a Prii again I have to -- wife took mine. Bye, bye Subaru.

18. Venturer

Venturer New Member

Probably not. It was my idea to get our 05 Tideland even though my wife drives it 80-90% of the time. She admits it's fun to drive, but would not want to start for our daughters home in Idaho. I wouldn't either. We have tinted the windows, which helps keep it cooler. I replaced to OEM tires with Comfortreads, which made it handle better, but it still is one of the worst riding cars we have owned. It's ok for 50 to 100 miles or so, but give me my Avalanche or the minivan we sold to get the Prius for long trips. For the same price, we could have a vehicle that gave a great ride, with more room and comfort. The only difference between 47 mpg (our average) and 28 mpg that many comfortable sedans average is about $50/month in gas. A small price to pay for comfort at our age. I tried to convince myself and my wife that this car was ok and she has been patient with me, but she and I both regret selling our Town & Country minivan.

We'll run it for a year and give it a chance to change our opinion of it. It has a lot of neat features and turns a lot of heads and we haven't had any trouble with it, but our idea of a great car is one that is reasonably economical and gets us to our destination rested and refreshed. One that after a 700 mile day, you look forward to getting back in for another 700 miles.

There, now, I feel better for venting about an investment that, for us, might not have been one of our better ones.

Doug

19. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I would. I originally had a F250 for long cross country trips but out last trip of 600 miles was not bad in it. Granted it was not as smooth but I spent only $40 instead of $160. I did not have any problems unless the road surface was not smooth (then it was noisy, still have OEM tires). This is the only car I did not have buyer's remorse. My next trip is 1800 miles so I will see how I feel about it then.

20. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The only reason why I wouldn't buy another Prius is that in the 4 and a half years until I need another car there will probably, I hope, be something, cooler, better, that gets better gas mileage ....

(or runs on Hydrogen, yes II'm one of those that thinks that the second most abundent element in the universe would make a good fuel) (and yes I realize the carbon atom, which is a basis for oil is the most abundent element, pure carbon burns for poop and polutes)

.... well maybe it will be another Prius but something different than the one I have now.