1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Would you buy another Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by alfon, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Jon Hagen

Jon Hagen Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I would buy another Prius in a heartbeat. Lots of other brand hybrid and EV's soon to hit the market. That can only be a good thing.
    I am sad that the ABAT mini pickup got put on hold. Especially since it was far enough along that Toyota had called for bids from parts suppliers. I have need of a tiny , efficient "gofer" type pickup truck like the ABAT (40mpg if I remember right). My present old Mazda B2600I makes less than 1/2 the ABAT projected highway mpg.:cry:

2. dmvp

dmvp Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I will definitely buy another Prius when this one falls apart, which will be a long time from now. I've had mine for 3 years now and I still love to drive it. I get great gas mileage in all seasons, it drives just fine in the Chicago snow (WITH oem tires), and the leather interior still looks brand new!

3. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius family would be high on my list of options.
    However, I will buy the vehicle that is the most efficient regardless of who makes it. I have 'tied' myself to brands before. However, I feel I no longer have that luxury. Our country's finances are in tatters, we are hanging our environment into something we are not going to like.
    And I for one, don't know how to explain it to the next generation. So I will buy the most efficient car I can.
    In the future I hope that Toyota can provide that.

4. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm on my second Prius, so that may give you an idea of my leanings.

It is hard to say whether my next car will be a Prius, because I am hoping to have it for a long time. I am on the verge of turning 60,000 on my 2010, and I'm hoping to at least double that mileage. That puts my decision at least three years away, and there is no telling what the market will offer by then. If all other things are equal, I'd opt for the Prius just out of trust. I've not had mechanical issues with either car.

At the same time, we are looking to replace my wife's car, and we are seriously looking at a second Prius. It may not be the perfect match, as we need to have a car capable of carrying more people and cargo on long (1,000+ mile) trips.

I will look at other manufacturers, but they'll really have to show me something. The C-Max sounded very interesting, but the first reviews don't seem to help. It may not get the mileage (for the price), and it doesn't have any more usable room than my car. (OK -- maybe a little bit more cargo room, but not as usable.)

I don't want a smaller car. I don't want a much larger car. I don't want to spend a fortune on a depreciating item (so I want a car that holds its value).

So far, the Prius fits the bill.

5. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why not just rent or borrow something for the long trips? I have traded my Prius with a neighbor's "bus" a couple times for 6 person road trips. They liked trying out the Prius and I get their bus detailed as part of the deal. 15mpg isn't so bad split 6 ways.

6. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It is a great point -- one I've made to several other people in similar situations. The full explanation is a bit more detailed than I intended to share. The second car also has to work for carrying three teenagers in the back seat, plus their sports gear, and do so at least three times per week. Even though these may be trips of fewer than 30 miles RT, they do put a limiter on things. The regular Prius just isn't big enough (it was when they were younger/smaller). Our Sienna does a great job, but we've crossed 140,000 miles, and I'm not willing to put big money into the car. I want a replacement for it, ready to be purchased at least, prior to the time I have a breakdown.

I'm leaning toward the Prius v. I wouldn't mind another minivan, but it is just too big and inefficient, anymore, as an everyday driver. The wagon and small SUV market seem to fit the bill. The Prius v looks to be about the best return for the dollar. Another new car with high MPGs (highway, anyway) is the Mazda CX-5. Pretty similar to the Prius v, but a few more features and a little bit more space for people.

Sorry to go on so much, but John Hatchett brought up a great point about renting. That had been our plan, but when we looked at all of the various uses we require, rental was not a 3-4 times per year event. Another option has been to keep the Sienna, for as long as possible for the short-haul trips, and simply add a third car. I don't like the insurance and space requirements, however!

7. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I went from the Sienna to my first Prius shortly after the first teen got a license and made it the pool car as the rest got their license. 3 teens and all their gear fit fine, as long as they ditched the chauffeur. :)

Of course the chauffeur got a nice personal replacement vehicle as a reward for their years of dedicated service.

8. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If my car were in a wreck today, I would buy another Prius. I would take a hard look at the v due to the extra room in the back.

If it were a couple of years from now I would take a hard look at what was currently available. The Volt would have a couple of years on it. Ford is coming out with redesigned hybrids. Honda is coming out with redesigned hybrids.

I would also want to see how the EV batteries were holding up and what the current status of the EV charging infrastructure looked like.

9. car78412

car78412 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    By the time I need to replace my 2010 Prius, I would hope that the Prius would be all electric with charging stations conviently intergrated at refueling stations.

10. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Sienna is a awesome vehicle. I drove a rental 2012 Sienna 2640 miles last week and will be heading out in the morning to add another thousand miles on it :) It gets better mpg's than my SUV in both city & highway driving.

Mike

11. priusincc

priusincc Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I traded my 2007 Prius for a 2012 Prius last month. I like all of the improvements, only a minor loss of storage and cup holders. For now, there are no better long distance, high mileage vehicles on market, unless you need more space/payload. The electric cars are limited. The next promising car appears to be the hydrogen technology. The hybrids are a good bridge to them.

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Most likely, yes. If Toyota continues to improve the Prius and keep it versatile (wagon and hatchback shape) and keeps it the leader in hybrid technology. At 51,000km (32,000 miles), it'll be a while before I replace it (who knows, I may end up supplementing it with a PHV or another Toyota hybrid).

13. Mario13

Mario13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would most definitely buy a Prius again. My other car is a BMW X3 and my last car was a VW Passat. While German cars have their advantages, having at least one vehicle as the workhorse and roadtrip car that gets great mileage has been great. I have actually grown to really like the looks as well. I think it is fun to drive as well....not in a power/handling type of way, but in a techy toy type of way. I have only had it for about 5 months, but I like everything about it so far.

14. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Next time I'll probably defect to a Camry Hybridl........

15. Metalman

Metalman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Now that I've installed a glass pack muffler, a lift kit, and a roof rack with four 100 halogen lights I really love my Prius and would buy another one in a heartbeat.

16. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If/when my girlfriend's Malibu dies, she will probably start driving the Prius. I will likely get another Prius, a Camry hybrid, or an Avalon hybrid.

17. dhancock

dhancock 2 Prius Family

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    We are on our 2nd Prius and the new one has turned out to be a bit of a disappointment. Seats not as comfortable, don't like the dash scheme, can't read gauges nor GPS with polarized sunglasses, DRCC in ATP is buggy and Toyota will not pay any attention, dealer tries to rip me off for $426 to remove "stuck CDs".

Basically, I feel the Prius has gone way downhill - glad to see that there are now non-Toyota hybrid choices.

18. NaptownPrius

NaptownPrius Getting Greener....

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes.

My first 2008 Prius had 98,400 miles on it when an idiot hit me while I was stopped at a red light. It was totaled.
    [​IMG]

Now have a 2012 Prius. Like being home again, only newer and better. Same tags. :)
    [​IMG]

19. JBoat

JBoat New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Would I buy another Prius?

Sure, when you pry my current Prius out of my cold, dead hands. ;) Have never loved a car more than the one I currently own.

WE0H and markabele like this.
  20. I did, and will!