1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

would you buy the volt

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by iaowings, Mar 30, 2007.

?
  1. no

74.2%
  2. yes

25.8%
  1. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Would I buy the Volt?

Nope. It will be built the typical GM way -- as cheaply as possible. I suspect a large gap will be standard between the top of the bumper and the headlights, as on most GM models. Th reliability will suck, as will the drivability.

I'll keep my Prius, thanks.

2. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(8AA @ Mar 31 2007, 05:43 PM) [snapback]415652[/snapback]</div>
    But I don't think you're grasping that normal highway driving, even with a headwind, uses only a fraction of of the engine's full power. The battery can supply passing power when you need it, I think they're smart enough to start recharging the battery before it hits its effective zero charge point.

In a standard old-fashioned ICE-only car, you need to lug around a big motor just for the moments you need to accelerate fast, pull a heavy trailer at high speeds or go up an extended steep hill. All the other times, the engine is running at half-speed or less. Unfortunately, an ICE is most efficient at about 80% load (HP vs. gas consumed), so the engine is too big for normal conditions. This is why pulse-and-glide is so effective in the Prius - you pulse at the efficiency point of the (relatively) small engine, glide with the engine off, and repeat. And when you need extra power that the engine can't supply, the battery kicks in.

My old '65 VW bug could get up to 80 mph (altho it took a long time, and everything in the car was rattling and shaking, including the steering wheel, at those speeds). That was on about a 48 HP engine, if I recall correctly (not the original engine, which was probably a 35 HP engine). If you don't need to accelerate to 60 in less than 10 seconds, you can have a very small engine propel a light car at close to normal driving conditions, if it's at least a 4-speed. Add a battery to that, some improved aerodynamics (the old bug was about .36 or .38 Cd and a tall profile) and you've got more than you need.

I voted Yes on this, mostly because my work is only a few miles away and it would be great to go all-electric in the winter months or rainy times when I can't bike. If the PHEV-kit is readily available for the Prius by then (or the new model is a PHEV), then my vote may change. But if they're first to market, and we're ready for a new car, the Volt would be great for me.

3. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    IF the Volt did everything GM says it does...

I'd wait a couple of of years. If after that time, people say it's not your typical GM POS, THEN I'd get it.

4. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Apr 2 2007, 12:35 PM) [snapback]416415[/snapback]</div>
    Everything that I've read says that the Volt will be full electric for as far as possible, then the ICE will run a generator to power the wheels and charge the battery.

I understand that most highway driving does not use a lot of power, but some of the hills around here might. Also, what if you're not on the highway and your batteries go dead? Given a choice between a series or a full hybrid, I'll take the full hybrid.

5. dipper

dipper Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(8AA @ Apr 2 2007, 05:28 PM) [snapback]416725[/snapback]</div>
    If GM does it right, there should be either buttons for driving modes for user control. If not, then a conservative setting for battery management should be used. The 40 miles PHEV should have a real-world 50 miles range if allow full drain. So that way, acceleration would not kill the mirco size gas motor.

6. fstickel

fstickel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Seems like the word IF is being used alot lately, concerning the Volt.

This car does not exist, and probably will not exist in it's current design.
    Let's all wait , love our Prius's, and see what the magic Detroit will reveal in - 2012
    before signing on to currently, - a dream, and not something you can actually drive away in.

7. Froley1

Froley1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    the key question here is the "if they build it the way they say they will" element----
    toyota i trust---gm i do not----
    froley

8. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    my 2 cents

the only things i am worried about the volt are

1) am i going to need a charger/power supply installed to charge it faster then 110 can do?
    2) i heard that chevy will sell the car, but lease out the battery pack. you won't actually own the battery pack. this has its advantages and disadvantages
    3) 40-48,000 is out of my budget

9. jpadc

jpadc Type before I think too often

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just like with the Prius, I won't listen to all the bashes and loathers who say it costs to much, gives to little and will only have a lifespan of 100,000 miles. Seems a little trollish to reject a car that none of us have ever seen nor driven. I'll be happy to vote once an actual vehicle exist that can be tested in the real world.

I do think, however, that it is in all of our bests interests that a new technology that uses less gasoline than most vehicles driven today succeed, and as such, I wish GM well with the car and will look forward to seeing their offering with an open mind.

BTW: My reading of history is that the big 3 are not "union by choice"

10. Unlimited_MPG

Unlimited_MPG Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I would if it's everything they say it is.

11. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    NO because i think it will be to expensive and toyota can build a car with the same specs for less because there needs to be little investments in new technology.

12. timwalsh300

timwalsh300 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Although the concept is exciting and certainly the way forward, I don't think the Volt will work for me.

In my current living situation I don't even know where I would plug it in. And just filling the "range extender" with gasoline and charging it via that method isn't going to save me anything.

Also, as others have said, it might just be priced out of my range. I bought my '08 Prius for $21,000 and I could keep it on the road for almost 300,000 miles using $4.00 gasoline for the cost of a Volt if it starts around $40,000.

Pretty soon I could be in a living situation that DOES have a place to plug in. But when that happens I'll just be doing a lot of short trips (5-10 miles) and I think a Zap Xebra would be a much better fit for me.

Maybe the Volt will be perfect for a family living in the suburbs with a two-car garage who commutes 40 miles to work everyday.

But I echo the sentiments of others that by the time we can buy a Volt, companies like Toyota and Honda will offer something even better. In fact, I've been predicting to my friends that GM/Chevy will die before the Volt is ever mass produced. I think our nation is starting to get tired of taxpayer-funded bailouts. Time to make room for the next great American automakers like Tesla and Zap.

Tim

13. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The architecture is sound although we should not underestimate the technical challenges. Don't interpret this as a "where can I put down my deposit?" but rather "I would test drive one." Of course I was willing to test drive a two-mode GM hybrid but apparently you only get to do that after you buy it.

Bob Wilson

14. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I don't care if it runs on air. (not even of the compressed variety!) I'm not buying a POS GM .... evaaaaaaaaar!

Those who have owned a GM and a Toyota certainly understand.

... Brad

15. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Based on what GM has published recently, no. Too little seating and cargo space, too expensive. It will be less efficient than the Prius on extended trips based on GM's numbers, while carrying fewer passengers and less stuff.

16. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    NO! Mind you, it will only be available to the general public in 2016.
    Enough time for Toyota to roll out Gen-4 PHEV Prius.

That kind of comment goes also with Ford and Chrysler. :grouphug:

All asking for Gov't baillouts...

17. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I would buy a Volt IF:
    A. It has an all electric range of 40 miles or more.
    B. There are no competitors will an all EV with a range greater than 40 miles.

From the plans I have seen though, GM is going to have old technology the moment they start selling these things. More likely I will buy a Think Ox or Tesla Sedan or maybe the planned Nissan EV. All due to be out in 2009 or 2010.

18. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    OK, since this thing started, MUCH has changed. So it is almost impossible to answer the question. Are we now answering what they originally said it would be, or what it is now?

And in that vien... does anybody have the initial info on what it was intended to be? I know it was originally going to be under $30k. Now it is way above that. I know it was going to have way better performance. But heck if I can find the original list of proposed features and price. Anybody have that? Would be nice to have for the archives.

19. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't know enough about the Volt yet to be able to answer the question. Cost vs other hybrids would be a major factor. The Volt has to be significantly better if it is going to be more expensive. Marketing 101.

20. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I don't like the style of the car, so no I would not buy it irregardless of price or fuel type.