1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Would you purchase a Self Driving Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by JMD, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Sergio-PL

Sergio-PL Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    But I still doubt that current or near future technologies will work in extreme conditions like heavy rain, snow, dirt roads and so on. I think that self driving will be possible on well GPS'ed roads with "self driving certificate" and during good conditions.

Let technology grow. Time will tell how good will it be.

2. jnadke

jnadke Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I believe to an extent these companies are researching "self-driving assistive technology", but I don't think they are as far ahead on the "self-driving AI" as Google is.

The difference is proactive vs reactive. Much like LKA, I believe the technologies these companies (GM/Cadillac, Toyota/Lexus, and Audi) are working on focus more along the lines of helping offload the work from the driver in a more automated fashion ("continue driving in rush hour, continue what I was doing, etc"), rather than truly make life-and-death decisions ("check thoroughly before turning the corner for pedestrians, interpret which turn arrow is mine on the traffic light").

Of course, there's a difference vs actuality and what they say. Nobody wants to be perceived as "behind the tech".

But Google is employing the man that headed up designing the car that won the DARPA Driverless Grand Challenge.

Next to Google, the best tech out there in automated driving is still in the University (CMU is the next biggest competitor.... who is partnered/sponsored by GM), unless some company has managed to keep something more secret than the government does. University tech is always 10 years out.