1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Would you rather have Earthquake first, then Hurricane?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by wjtracy, Aug 26, 2011.

1. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    IMHO we are extremely lucky; imagine it happening at the same time.

Rain coming down heavy, and you have to run out of the home from earthquake!

2. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the building didn't suffer serious damage or catch on fire, there is no reason to leave immediately. If you do you shouldn't hang around close to the building in case something loosened falls off of it.

Before I retired, out drill when I worked in San Jose was to assemble in pre-designated areas away from the buildings for head counts to see if anyone needed to be searched for. It would have to have been a pretty good shake before they required an evacuation.

3. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In both cases, just think of them as "Mother Natures Urban Renewal Program"!

It just forces you to replace or upgrade what was not strong enough to survive!

4. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That map is too low a resolution to be very useful in areas with complex geology. I'm at the north end of that green zone in the middle of California in an area that is statistically less seismic than the green zone on average.

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you are correct ETC! Hurricane first is best.
    The current example is the Washington Monument.
    The Monument suffered serious cracks during the earthquake and is closed. Now they are rushing (hope they completed work) to fix the cracks so that the rain does not flood into the cracks. It's been raining here since 11AM probably have total of ~18 hrs of rain on the way.

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...survived Hurriquake...we now await locust plague or other next shoe to drop

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My office building shakes more when the guys are on the roof repairing (again) the leaky roof than it did during the earthquake. Easterners tend to leave the building then stand in the street looking at it.