1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Would You Recommend a Prius for me?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by clare771, Dec 29, 2011.

1. clare771

clare771 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am a single parent and am concerned about finances with having 1 income. I purchased a car about 5 1/2 years ago and it was a bad decision for me. The car was fine mechanically until recently I have been spending a lot of money on repairs. My car has over 100,000 miles. It also gets bad gas mileage.
    My car is paid off and I've been trying to hang on to it..but I've been stranded several times in the last 6 months due it breaking down.
    My job requires 75-85% local travel. I put around 700-900 miles on my car a month depending on where I go for work and my personal traveling...with getting kids to school etc. I spend a lot on gas. My work does give me the mileage back, but I don't always break even due to high gas prices and all the oil changes etc.

The Prius is more than what I wanted to spend on a car. I am wanting to know if the high cost of the car makes up enough in the low fuel costs for the amount of driving I do?
    Also, are there a lot of repairs after 100,000 miles? I plan on keeping the car until it quits or til repairs get too costly.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If it's more than you want to spend, do try to look for 2011 model Twos being cleared out. Or look for a used 2010 or 2009 (yes, the 09 is a previous gen).

It really does sound like you are due for a new/newer car that's more reliable. Since it sounds like reliability is important, even if you don't buy a Prius, I'd look to a model and make that has consistently average or above average reliability across all model years of all models. Toyota and Honda along w/their luxury nameplates both fit that well, but I wouldn't recommend a Honda hybrid.

I love the gas mileage of my Prius and love that fact that the gas engine doesn't uselessly run when stopped and at low speeds. I also like how it doesn't run at very low speeds, where it's also inefficient.

http://prius.wikia.com/wiki/Lifespan/Operating_costs might put yout mind at ease. However, since you live in a hot climate, I wouldn't be surprised if you need a replacement HV battery somewhere past 150K miles...maybe by 200K miles? http://prius.wikia.com/wiki/Failed_traction_%28HV%29_battery,_what_to_do%3F gives you an idea of what you can do, if that happens.

FWIW, I've never been stranded by car breakdowns...

3. tv4fish

tv4fish Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    + 100 --- We love our used Prius. We have a daily commute of about 50 miles total. I had 2 Explorers previously - sold the older one and bought the Prius. Extremely happy with it, especially when I stop to fill it up. :) 50 mpg vs. about 20. And I am also very impressed with the engineering/technology in the Prius. Honestly, if I would have known how well this little car was made and how well it performs - I would have bought one a long time ago. If you get paid the Federal mileage rate for your travel -- I think a good used Prius w/b a great car for you - especially financially.

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If the cost of the car is not too much of a stretch, I think the Prius would be a good choice. I'm a low-mileage driver, so I don't know about repairs after 100K miles, but the Prius, and Toyotas in general (Hondas also) have a very good record of reliability.

In general, the more miles you drive, the more benefit you get from high fuel efficiency.

If the cost of the car is a strain on your finances, then I would not recommend any new car. Priuses hold their value very well, so a used one might not be as much of a deal as other cars. In that case, a low-mileage used Civic or Corolla might be more economical in the long run. I drive a very expensive electric car because I don't like burning gas at all. But from a purely economic standpoint the cost difference between a new Prius and a used Civic will buy you a lot of gas, and as far as gas mileage, the Civic is no slouch.

If your daily driving is under 50 miles, you might look at the Nissan Leaf. It's ideal range is 100 miles, real-world typically around 85 miles, so 50 would always give you plenty of leeway. However, its long-term performance, reliability, and battery longevity are all unknown, as it's so new. It's probably more a car for the die-hard EV enthusiast until a couple three years have given it a bit of history.

To come back to where I began, if you can afford the Prius, it is an excellent, reliable, clean, and economical car.

5. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I drive at least 1200 miles a month and live in your vicinity. 50.2 actual MPG after one year of ownership and I do not P&G. Compared to my truck, the car pays for itself in gas savings alone. Your gas allowance should more than cover cost. Now comming from a single parent family as a youngster, I appreciate your predicament. Only you can decide the "give and take" of car payment vs gas/upkeep based on your finances. Sounds like a new car is in order though. My Prius has had less problems than any car yet owned. I would stick with a Toyota or Honda whatever you do.

6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agree with daniel.

Financially you'll not be able to justify a new Prius (even if the c is $20k) unless the vast majority of your driving is done in very heavy stop-and-go traffic where the even an efficient conventional subcompact or compact would struggle for fuel economy and the car would suffer much greater wear and tear than a Prius.

At the very least you need to change your mechanic to see if another one can resolve the fundamental source of your recurring problems. A reliable used car is usually the cheapest solution for a lower mileage driver, especially if you can learn to drive your vehicle economically (just avoiding wasting fuel).

If you can't resolve your current issues or you're driving a real gas hog you can look at an efficient used car or, at a cost premium for peace of mind, an efficient new car.

7. ngc4565

ngc4565 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This does not sound like a good Prius scenario in my humble opinion. The Prius is not that efficient on short trips of 5-7 minutes duration. It starts to come into its element after that. Don't expect 50 MPG unless you can drive 10-15 minutes per trip.

8. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Although, in Fort Worth the OP would have a relatively short warm-up time. Think of how much better you do late spring to early fall than late fall to early spring.

With the shorter warm-up time, the mileage should be reasonable, especially in comparison to the poor mileage likely in a conventional car in the same scenario.

I think the greater issue is the low number of miles rather than the short trips.

9. clare771

clare771 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for all the information. I live in a large metro-plex so everywhere I go ranges from 15-45 minutes one way. My kids school is a 30 minute drive one way. I calculate my mileage for work weekly and on average use 200 miles a week just for work. I also take the kids to school and their activities and other typical errands. It all varies some each month.

My family thinks I should go with something cheaper like a Ford Focus. They are concerned with the cost of repairing a Hybrid if it were to need it.

My mechanic is good. I just made a mistake with the car purchase....which is why I want to do my homework first this time. My current car is a Suzuki Forenza and it gets bad gas milage and has a lot of mechanical issues.

Right now it doesn't start all the time and has several issues going on. I already put in a lot of money for repairs this year.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would look at corolla or camry, probably more cost efficient in the short and long term. prius is not really for those on a limited budget. also, you're mechanic, most likely, wont be able to do much more that change the oil and etc. if you have an issue outside of warranty, you will probably have to go back to the dealer.

11. ngc4565

ngc4565 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hers in an excellent scenario for either a Plug-in-Prius or a Nissan Volt. Unfortunately the costs are prohibitive and she may never recover them. The biggest cost with any vehicle is depreciation. Using a full cost model based on a 150,000 mile vehicle life, a Honda Fit or Civic would be less expensive. The model changes drastically if fuel prices exceed $5/gallon.

12. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's why we really need to know more about the driving scenario and mileage. Tough stop-and-go urban with ICEV 20mpg and Prius 40mpg, 900 miles per month, gas $3.50/gallon saves $945/year in gas. 25mpg v 45mpg only $672.

13. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Spend an hour in a library reading the April 2011 issue of Consumer Reports magazine. It's full of car buying advice and data on good economical recent used cars. A used Prius in good condition is probably not the lowest cost solution for your circumstances.

14. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The bottom line is what you need and can afford now. Obviously you need reliable transportation. Used vehicles are a crap shot at best. A new Yaris, Corolla, Civic or Fit would be cheaper on the monthly, mileage would be Low to mid 30MPG. Prius would be higher on the monthly, but mileage will be close to 48/51MPG. Your driving usage is similar to mine on the other end of the metroplex. Do the math, but please stay away from the low priced Big Three offerings. I am a Mechanic by trade, trust me on this one.

15. ngc4565

ngc4565 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is a common misconception. The Prius maintenance costs are probably lower than that of a conventional vehicle for the first 100,000 miles. The hybrid components have no real maintenance costs for the first 100 to 150 thousand miles. Meanwhile the brakes will last longer; a lot longer. The recommended oil change interval is longer too.

Nevertheless, I would still encourage you to look at another vehicle based upon your diving habits IF COST IS YOUR PRIMARY CONCERN.

16. clare771

clare771 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you buy an extended warranty for the battery?

17. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  18. Gurple42

Gurple42 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The main battery has a factory warranty of 100000 Miles. And if you drive at least 12 thousand miles a year, a new Prius 2 is an excellent buy right now, dealers are clearing the last of the 2011's, you really have to decide soon on the Prius, the 2012's are coming out next month and no immediate deals can be expected. Can't make up your mind in a hurry, then a Corolla or Civic will do the job for you, however I think that after 100000 miles you will have saved money with the Prius.

19. clare771

clare771 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I went through my old oil changes receipts and looked at my mileage. In 2011 I put a little over 20k on my car and I didn't drive much this summer. I was off work for a little while due to a medical reason. My mileage could be closer to 30k a year.

I'm going to check them out and do the math. I didn't realize I drive that much. I do live in a big metroplex so it's easy to do here....especially with the amount of traveling I do for work.

20. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    When I saw this newest post, I got really confused. Obviously, your original estimate is way off. You would be a decent candidate for Prius. I've never put 20K miles/year on any of my cars. That's a lot in my book but nothing compared to some other folks.

Over here in the Bay Area, I see specials like Specials on new and used cars, trucks, vans, SUVs, parts and service specials..

I was over there w/a friend who was in the market for a Prius and I'm pretty sure that $21,688 included destination charge. They had a # of colors available in model Two except for light silver (I forget the Toyota marketing name).

My friend ended up buying a model Three from another dealer for ~$22,060 (somewhere around there in the low $22K range), including destination charge, after the Toyota's Nor Cal $1K incentive. That amount is before tax, title and license. The other dealer did have a light silver Two and a decent selection of Twos and Threes.

The Toyota CPO used inventory in my area didn't look that great given the budget my friend had. Some used ones were relatively overpriced vs. buying a new one. Others were too well equipped, making them expensive.

I'm unaware of any extended warranty on the HV battery. If you're worried about failure after the 8 year/100K mile HV battery warranty (for the OP), I'd budget for maybe the $1675 (http://www.re-involt.com/FAQ.html) + installation for one from re-involt. Since you live in a hot climate, I might be concerned about it failing somewhere past 150K miles.

Although http://www.cars.com/go/advice/incentives/incentivesAll.jsp?zc=76116#toyota doesn't show any cash back incentives for your area (I picked a random Fort Worth zip) on the Prius, http://www.buyatoyota.com/Specials/SpecialOffersDetails.aspx?series=prius seems to claim there is a $1K incentive while http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/car-incentives.html says up to $750.