1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Would You Recommend a Prius for me?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by clare771, Dec 29, 2011.

1. New Zealand Anna

New Zealand Anna New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm considering buying a Used 2009 Prius C, however am wondering whether the fact that we only use a car 1-2x per week to run around town will be an issue. (Town in Wellington, NZ - very hilly.) Also, how much difference is there between the 2009 and 2010 models? (I saw a previous post saying the 2009 model was a previous generation.) Is it worth me waiting a year until the 2010 models are available as used cars? Any advice?

2. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    The Prius C is new for 2012 - which model are you actually looking at?

3. New Zealand Anna

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmmm. The info in the ads here is as follows: 2009 Toyota Prius Hybrid 1.5P H5 ECVT. I assumed it was a Prius C, as that is the category it was listed under on the website. Does that make sense?

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Anna! I think that would be a Gen-2 Prius.
    Prius is absolutely fabulous family car sort of a mini-SUV lots of room good MPG no probs.
    I am trying to remember Wellington topography but I seem to have a big hill in my mind.
    Lived in New Plymouth 6 months decades ago.
    Anyways you seem to be describing a low useage scenario which is fine but your MPG may be disaapointing if you take short trips, because the Prius takes 5-10 minutes to warm up.

Also you did say hills! The Prius engine will have no problem with that but MPG may be further hit and you may not like the hearing the gaso engine so work hard if it's a long hill.
    Keep in mind Prius cost is +$US5000 (new) over cost of equivalent non-hybrid, so unless you do enough kilometeres you will not save enough on $gaso to make up the difference between say a Corolla or Camry something like that.

5. New Zealand Anna

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm, true. Thanks. Food for thought.

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, Prius c is new for the '12 model year. It's impossible for an 09 to be a Prius c. The creepy ad at
    sorta explains it. At the time, only the c concept was shown.

Hopefully someone in NZ can see Toyota Prius Family.

2012 Prius c: Overview video | PriusChat was a decent overview of the c but for the US market.. I highly doubt the trim levels/grade levels would be the same in NZ.

Gen 2 (04-09) Prius used a 1.5L engine. 2010+ liftbacks (aka regular Prius), Plug-in Prius and Prius v wagon all use a 1.8L. Prius c uses the 1.5L engine again but supposedly has undergone substantial redesign.