1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Would you still drive after this accident damage?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jacen17, Jul 31, 2021.

1. jacen17

jacen17 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all
    Sadly I was rear-ended a month back and my Gen2 Prius sustained moderate damage. I was hoping it was only cosmetic, however today discovered that there is damage to what I have learned is the brake control box (capacitor bank) and possibly to the 12Vaux battery. I don't think I can remove the battery nor is it worth the effort as the car is totaled.

I would like to be able to safely drive the car a month or two while I search for a replacement vehicle - what do you think, bad idea? Photos attached.

Attached Files:

2. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Confused. When our Subie was rear ended and totaled the insurance company took the car and sent us a check. How do you still have the car?

Be really careful with the insurance company. The price of used cars has gone way up lately and there will be a strong incentive for them to use an out of date KBB or similar "value" for your vehicle. For the same reason, the amount of damage which would total a car 2 years ago may not total it today. Perhaps before you settle with the insurance company you might want to get a repair quote from a shop or two?

It does not look like your car is in very bad shape. It needs a new hatch, bumper and bumper cover, maybe a new tail light (depending why it fell out like that), and perhaps some pounding out of metal in the back. Other than that it seems to be in pretty good shape. A photo underneath might help us comprehend the full extent of the damage, from the one external shot I would not have expected to have seen the problem near the battery. For comparison, when the insurance company totaled our Subie wagon the whole back end was bent downward starting at the roof over the back axle and the body work was jammed into both rear tires (it was rear ended while stopped to turn left by a similar sized car going around 30 mph). I was in a junkyard yesterday with my son and the guys in front of us were from a shop (in full shop uniforms!) and they were buying parts to fix what looked like a mid 2000 Toyota which must have had far more damage than your car suffered, as they had in their cart everything from the radiator forward plus a hood and some large piece of metal framework from underneath.

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Looks like a body shop could use a frame bender and fix that car up to look pretty good. In terms of continuing to drive it, you need to make sure all the electronics in that back corner aren't damaged and aren't being squeezed in a way that bumps in the road could cause further damage.

4. jacen17

jacen17 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks guys. I did bring the car to a mechanic and the worst of the damage is that the rear frame is pushed forward maybe an inch, which is what is compressing the auxiliary battery and preventing the hatch door from opening. I will bring it to a body shop but I doubt it will be worth the cost to repair. I bought the car for about $3k and the insurance company offered me $4300 if they took the car, or $3400 if I kept the car. Not having a second vehicle I decided to keep it for now, but ultimately I may sell or salvage it.

bisco likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good deal. might be worth just driving it. make sure you look around before selling, cars are hard to come by these days, and prices are way up

6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you can get a price on just the frame bending part of the job the rest of the work can be done with basic tools most people have in their tool box. And before you take it in remove the bumper cover. If its a slow day and you did all the prep work for them they might be able to do it in a 1/2 hour for you.

7. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the damage does not affect the rear suspension at all I would be tempted to fix it, since it should not be much of a safety issue then. If you can get the bent body pieces pulled back to roughly their original position for a reasonable amount, and the electronics are not squished, the rest of the parts shouldn't run too much at a junkyard.

But first check out the insurance situation in your state. The "rebuilt" title car could probably still get liability insurance but the insurer could charge more for it than what you paid before. Other forms of coverage probably will not be available since the insurance company won't want to figure out what was preexisting damage. Maybe you could get some strange thing like "coverage from the back doors forward", which wouldn't help you if you get hit from behind again, but would cover other accidents?

One more point, could you really buy an identical car for $4300 today? That seems a bit low given the inflation in used car prices.