1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Would you trust a chinese electric car?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by burritos, Aug 13, 2007.

1. tballx

tballx New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boo @ Aug 13 2007, 02:13 PM) [snapback]494946[/snapback]</div>
    You could probably make the argument that East Asian people are a distinct race but that has nothing to do with the nation of China. You are way off.

2. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ceric @ Aug 13 2007, 05:17 PM) [snapback]494999[/snapback]</div>
    I didn't know this; thank you.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ceric @ Aug 13 2007, 05:17 PM) [snapback]494999[/snapback]</div>
    That's what I meant, as well.

3. 007Prius

007Prius New Member

It's hard to find something that is not made in China unless you are willing to pay top dollar or have it custom made, Walmart is the Devil of it all:lol: As far as cars go, well the Kia and Hyundai( now powered by Kia) are made in Korea, Hyundai almost went under but somehow managed to pull through when used Mitsubishi drivetrain, The Chinese are way behind on times but the way their economy is booming it will not take them too long to compete with major brands in years to come.

4. Kablooie

Kablooie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It wouldn't be this one, would it?

[​IMG]

5. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Most of the products made by Apple come from China. That includes Macbooks, Imacs, Apple TVs and Iphones. The products are made to American quality standards. Many of China's products are good but an unusual number have major <even deadly> safety problems. I would have to see a good crash test of the car before I bought one. But baring that I would want to support a $30,000 electric car that could go over 100 miles and seat four. If I knew that Tesla or Mitsubishi was comming out with soon I would wait and see which is better.

Talk about Chinese quality <or lack of it> is not racist. Its simple consumer information. If it was lies that would be a different story but people and pets have died due to poisoning.

I don't like lawyers but you have to admit the threat of lawsuit in the USA makes most companies watch quality and safety. China insulates its companies from US legal threat so they are not quite as afraid of US lawyers and it shows.

6. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boo @ Aug 13 2007, 04:13 PM) [snapback]494946[/snapback]</div>
    It's not the fact that it was made by Chinese people that makes me wary of it. You take the same people in the factory in China, transplant them to a country (it doesn't even have to be the U.S.) where they have some sort of safety standards for the product, and I'd seriously think about it.

I have absolutely nothing against the people of China (and I love Chinese food - as long as it's grown and prepared in the U.S. And being a regular customer of restaurants in Chinatown in Boston and San Francisco, I know "the real thing" vs. the stuff they pass off at the mall).

But for me, "Made in China" means the exact same thing as "WARNING! DEADLY PRODUCT!"

7. ruaqt

ruaqt Junior Member

If they offer the car for sale at dealership near me, I will investigate it. I would review crash data and whether the batteries explode for any reason. I am intrigued that they have the battery technology. I speculate they have a source of easily obtained lithium.

The more EV or PHEV cars the better.

8. Wiyosaya

Wiyosaya Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 13 2007, 05:50 PM) [snapback]494977[/snapback]</div>
    Add TOYS to that list now.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 13 2007, 05:50 PM) [snapback]494977[/snapback]</div>
    Hopefully, the market will teach them a lesson - assuming that by the time the market message gets through that there will be people left to manufacture something in China. :unsure:

9. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wiyosaya @ Aug 14 2007, 12:13 PM) [snapback]495414[/snapback]</div>
    And children's jewelry. Both with lead paint.

Mattel recalling more Chinese-made toys.

10. mwalsh

mwalsh Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably. I've already expressed my interest in the Miles XS500, and would be happy to buy one with proper assurances of quality and "worthiness for use".

I've said before that I envisage that the Chinese are where the Japanese were in the early 1960s and where the Koreans were in the 1980s. All the Chinese need is a bit of maturity in their manufacturing standards, and that WILL come in time.

11. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mwalsh @ Aug 14 2007, 03:59 PM) [snapback]495539[/snapback]</div>
    If the Chinese government identifies poor quality as a problem, a solution (and resulting impovement) will be found very quickly. People in dictatorships are highly motivated and have demonstrated the ability to produce sophisticated equipment quickly.

12. MikeSF

MikeSF Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    After reading a recent popular science article about the "iClone" and how China is just one huge copyright infringing, pirate filled, country that makes all the software piracy look pale in comparison... I would like to say I would NEVER buy anything made in China, made by a chinese company. Now if it was outsourced American/Japanese/Korean goods with higher quality demands, then yes. (That last bit just to get the whole "racist" b.s. argument out)

The article I was referrng to
    http://www.popsci.com/popsci/technology/e7...ecbccdrcrd.html

13. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Aug 14 2007, 03:21 AM) [snapback]494860[/snapback]</div>
    I applaud the Chinese for making an environmental move, but deplore their corporate corruption/gangster economy. Given the recent spate of questionable quality and/or dangerous imports, I'd be very cautious.
    Electricity is the same everywhere, but quality control is not.

14. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thinking about this more; re-reading my last response.

I think what bothers me (besides the cloning thing) is that I'd like the company and factory to share the values of the product itself.

Sort of like, for some of us, the issues with GM and the Volt.

I'd be totally okay with a Chinese-made electric car, but I'd need to know more about the company. It'd really need to be a standout in the way it pursued responsible business practices (is that even possible, given the situation currently?)

I would probably not be among the first tier of folks who'd initially buy them, but I would wait two to three years, see how that model is performing, and ---if it looks good--- purchase one before the next model is introduced.

Kind of like I did with my Prius.

15. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Racism and prejudice all stems from the comparison of the acts or words of one or a few and the attribution of that characteristic, trait or quality to the entire group. So yes your remarks are racist and bigoted. Most if not all of you know nothing or next to nothing about the subject of this topic. Out of the millions of products made in China you pick a small group of products quite possibly made by a few with bad intentions and then attribute that to all Chinese and Chinese made products. That is racism, prejudice, bias, intolerance, discrimination and bigotry no matter how you spin it or excuse it. It’s done quite a bit on this board and sadly by the people that object to it the most. Sorry Boo.

Wildkow

16. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I found this rather interesting:

Source: http://www.allbusiness.com/transportation/...g/219333-1.html

17. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boo @ Aug 13 2007, 05:13 PM) [snapback]494946[/snapback]</div>
    PriusChatters:

Yes, I'm aware of the recent headlines. Yes, I've studied the issues some. Here are some brief thoughts:

The reason why I made my above initial post is that I think it's at worst, racist or jingoistic --- and at best, unscientific, unproductive and misleading --- to blame or negatively characterize an entire race or country because of some or even a lot of bad products. By simplistically attributing problems to "Chinese" --- be that a reference to race or national origin --- only gives cover to those truly responsible, and makes finding solutions difficult if not impossible.

1. If you are looking to blame someone for a bad imported product, I think you have to look first to the manufacturer or importer --- and not the workers or the country where the product was made.

When Mattel or any other US manufacturer chooses to manufacture a product in China, it doesn't lose its legal or moral responsibility or liability for that product. It's still responsible for making sure that product is made right. To say or hint that the product is bad because it was made by Chinese or made in China, is just plain wrong. Just two examples:

--- Remember when Japanese-made cars first began to acquire a reputation in the US for reliability and quality workmanship (as compared to US-made cars)? --- it was popular in this country to blame American workers for the unreliable US-made cars. Then after a few years, Toyota and other Japanese manufacturers decided to build cars in the US with, obviously, American workers. And lo and behold, those Japanese cars made in the US by American workers were found to be just as reliable as their counterparts made in Japan ... made you wonder whether the true reason for the poor reliability of American cars was due to loose tolerances or poor design, engineering or supervision, rather than the American worker.

--- The most recent Mattel toy recall is another great example of the fallacies of lumping everything into race or national origin. The headlines scream "MATTEL RECALLS 19 MILLION TOYS MADE IN CHINA". But out of those 19 million toys, about 250,000 were recalled because of the criminal use of lead paint, and the other 18.75 million were recalled because of the manufacturer's design problem with the toys' magnets --- and Mattel, to its credit, clearly admitted and said this. But still, the headlines (including the NY Times) scream "MATTEL RECALLS 19 MILLION TOYS MADE IN CHINA" (emphasis added).

2. In the second instance, I think you have to look at the different responsible arms of the respective governments:

--- In the case of the Chinese government, I think you find understaffing and corruption.

--- In the case of the US government, I think you find understaffing and corruption (although a little less so ... call it understaffing and corruption light).

3. If you're looking to blame systems, that would be capitalism.

4. BTW, I note parethetically that ever since I made my initial post, I find most of the responses and discussion to be more substantive and productive.

18. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hello all

I own a ZAP PK which is an electric vehicle made in China. As yet, I have had no problems with it. The things which have disturbed me about it are issues of design, not workmanship.

Things made in China are made with a different system than in Japan. This is what disturbs me.

Most exporters from China are partnerships between a domestic and a foreign company. The real leader is the foreign company which makes the profit and does the design. This keeps the Chinese worker poor and under government control.

I suspect that China will not mature into a future Japan nor will it have the Japanese set of values. The process of emerging from Communism is quite different than having always been a capitaist country like Japan.

It is probably unwise and foolish to make sweeping generalizations about China. They are struggling to find their way into the modern world against terrible odds.

With the right design, absolutely wonderful things are made in China (the iPod, for example). Look to the importer, not the Chinese company to see who to trust.

19. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I do not see it as a racist issue, I see it as a quality control issue. So, if China takes the appropriate steps to bring their quality up to standards we in the USA expect, then fine. I also would like to see a little balance in trade. I do not want China (or any other country for you racist sensative people) beiong able to make products and dump them in the USA without buying goods which are USA made. But at present, no China made goods for me if I can help it. And again, no problem with Chinese people here.

20. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If those Chinese cars had the backing of a company like Toyota I would.
    I ride a South Korean motorcycle which would run rings around a harley at 1/3 the price. If the Chinese produce a vehicle which is good quality, well priced, meets the Australian design rules, and suits my needs I would consider it.

There is a chance a lot of the smaller GM vehicles you see on the road are South Korean, General Motors owns Daewoo and they sell Daewoo cars in Australia under the Holden badge which has been GMs Aussie brand for 50+ years. Look out for them. In Australia they are models like Viva, Barina, Astra, Epica, and Captiva. Some of these have engines made here in Australia which are sent to South Korea, fitted there and shipped all over Asia and back to Australia. It's a World Car and it's available in a showroom near you.
    Don't expect GM to tell you where the car is really made.
    When you think of Harley Davidson, you think as American as apple pie, right? The alloy wheels Harley use are made here in Adelaide! We can make apple pie too. Most of the electrics come out of China!