1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Would you trust a chinese electric car?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by burritos, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boo @ Aug 16 2007, 03:41 PM) [snapback]497213[/snapback]</div>
    But it isn't one manufacturer any more than it is one type of product. It's across the board.

Is there a good, quality product, produced by a good Chinese company? Probably. But I'll never know because it's lost in the midst of the badly made, dangerous, etc. cr@p. So to protect myself from the bad I won't buy any. That is easiest for me to manage.

You can blame the importer for designing badly or failing to properly supervise their manufacturing, but not entirely. Designs get changed to cut corners and make money. The prototype that was approved may not be what they're actually making for the consumer. Sometimes the Importer will catch it. Sometimes not. Sometimes it will be stopped, sometimes it will get by.

I think that U.S. companies are now a lot more aware of what is going on. Look at Mattel. When they were made aware of what was going on they went looking for the problems, found them and addressed the problem. I shutter to think what GM would have done in a similar situation.

I think you can look at the country and the workers. You can look at the values and the working culture. You can have a country where the general workers take pride in their product and strive to make sure what they do passes inspection. Or you can have a country in which the general workforce does whatever minimum they can to get by and is more concerned with slipping shoddy work by. And you can have a mix. I think there is way too much of the "sneak it by and hope not to get caught" kind of cutting corners. Melamine in pet food to make it appear to have more protein? Baby formula with no nutritional value whatsoever? Antifreeze in toothpaste? This wasn't one company. And it wasn't just importers. The baby food was an "in-house" thing killing Chinese babies. And I'll bet money there are plenty more incidents we never heard about for the simple reason they WERE within China and didn't effect other countries. They cover up that sort of thing up.

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you would find the work force do as good a job as they can do in the circumstances, the production pressures and conditions are a seriously limiting factor. The Chinese work under the conditions you would have to work under if trade unions never came about. These things happen because multinational companies know they may happen and do nothing to prevent it. If Matel cared they would have a company representative in the Chinese factory that makes their product ensuring quality standards.

What quality systems do Matel insist on?
    What is the audit schedule?
    What system of constant improvement is in place?
    Do they ensure fair pay and conditions in the factories producing their products?
    The chain of responsability goes beyond borders and beyond factory gates or American head quarters.
    At the end of the day it wasn't Chinese workers exposing kids around the world to lead paint, it was Matel.

3. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 22 2007, 10:47 AM) [snapback]500293[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, there are. My iPod, for one. I'm just going to avoid the "made in China" label for anything that will go into my body.

4. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Aug 22 2007, 11:37 AM) [snapback]500327[/snapback]</div>
    I think, at some point, if you lie with dogs, you're going to awaken with fleas.

At this point, I don't think that we can reliably expect a significant number of Chinese companies to meet American standards. So, if I'm a manufacturer, I have to ask myself --given the current economic and political climate--- can I honestly expect my product to be made correctly?

If there's any doubt about this, which there is, I think we ought to begin to be able to hold American manufacturers responsible for their decision on to whom to outsource their jobs. It's clear that there's a big problem over there...part of the cost of doing business in China should now be enhanced quality control.

Maybe that would add a bit of cost to these overly-cheap products.

5. asj2009

asj2009 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you had asked this same question in the 1970s (just 30-40 years ago) and substituted "Japanese" for "Chinese", you would probably say NO too; and yet, here we are just 30-40 years later and the term "Japanese" is now synonymous with "quality". Which just goes to show, things change. The Chinese are very entrepreneurial, probably much more so than Japanese, and it'll only be a matter of time before some companies over there have very high quality brands.

6. 50states

50states New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We should not underestimate the power and diligence of the Chinese. They are soon to become a huge automotive superpower! They have purchased Hummer and working on Saab and Volvo. I have read that they plan to overtake Toyota as the automotive giant in the very near future. Will Mandarin become the new world language??

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Take note people, this thread has been raised from the dead and is over 2 years since the last post before ASJ2009 pulled out the defibrillator on it.

8. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I did a little digging on this vehicle, which apparently was also known as Hafei Saibao EV, and is now called the Coda Sedan. As of June this year Edmunds is saying it will come to northern California in "late 2010" for about $45,000.

See Coda Automotive

9. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, it's almost Halloween, it's okay if there are a couple of
    zombies running around...
    _H*

10. asj2009

asj2009 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Whoops...didn't realize it was a dead thread...i was doing a search and that thread came up....

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    mehhh,
    it aint the 1st zombie to be resurected ... and look how things have changed since '07. GM (before going banko) was buying/outsourcing from the chinese anyway (and canada & mexico), and everything else we buy (walmart, etc) comes from abroad anyway ... the joke will be on china shortly ... after we print a few more trillion fake paper dollars to pay them, and china tries to call in our debt ... the good ol' U.S.A. will then go belly up & leave our foreign trading partners holding the bag! AaaaaHahahahahahahaaaa!
    :pound: :pound: :pound:

then you think about that scenerio for a while ... and then ...

:Cry: :Cry: :Cry:

12. Rhino

Rhino New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think many people in the US have already voted with their wallets. Basically, a lot of people trust a car if it is made by Toyota regardless of whether the workers are Japanese or Americans. But the same people don't trust a car made by an all US outfit (Chrysler, GM). So why not trust a Toyota made in China?

13. striker308

striker308 Three time Prius owner

Evans, NY (USA) / South Williamsport, PA (USA)
    Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    if it passes all of the US safety standards and had a good warranty yes. most auto makers are using china made electrical components already. even the prius has china made componants.

Now the the question was would I trust one = as much as I trust anything made in China.

would I buy one? HELL NO.

1 person likes this.
  14. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll buy the first affordable, reliable, EV that meets my needs and my frame regardless of who makes it. I'd even buy one from GM if they would make one. Note I said WOULD, not COULD. They've already proven they CAN make one.

I'm 6'2" and need to be able to drive 50 miles at 50 mph on a single charge in the dead of winter.

15. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I don't even buy shrimps from China....