1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Would you want a Prius AWD?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Tideland Prius, Aug 7, 2009.

?
  1. Yes, it would be awesome! Make it Toyota!

27.6%
  2. Sure, I'd consider one

14.7%
  3. Nah. I'd rather see a RAV4/Matrix AWD Hybrid

16.6%
  4. No. It'll add unnecessary complexity and expense to the product

37.4%
  5. Undecided

3.7%
  1. indianagreg

indianagreg Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Those were my first thoughts as well.

2. oxnardprof

oxnardprof Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I am a GII owner, but I would not want an AWD in any car. Of course, I livei n Southern California, so I would not need one in any case.

However, a significant part of my appreciation for the Prius is fuel efficiency, and the AWD would compromise that, for a function that is not needed for most drivers, and not in a hatchback vehicle in my opinion.

3. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

I think that a low-powered AWD system could be done that would provide lots of low speed torque in the rear wheels and little to no mileage impact when not being used. 5 HP Wheel motors put on the rear hubs would be great for getting through snow, and in the summer, they just free wheel. Might even be able to replace the rear friction brakes altogether, which would lessen the costs.

The reason AWD is so much a gas guzler in other cars is the continuous turning of all the power transfer and gearing from the front of the car to the rear. With Electric AWD, that inverter just gets turned off, and does nothing, and eats no electricity when its not in use.

What is more, Toyota already has this type of system (albeit with a center motor instead of wheel motors) in the 4WD Highlander and AWD GS450h.

1 person likes this.
  4. Irakusa

Irakusa New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    In my neck of the woods where it's easy to have snow 8 or 9 months of the year I would LOVE to have an AWD Prius for my commute. I have a truck for off-roading, I don't need huge clearance on my commuter vehicle. I'm talking about the pure safety benefit. My drive is 2 mountain passes and a decent amount of time hugging the top rim of a canyon. Mistakes are deadly and ice is frequent. That and the frequency of rocks coming down the mountainside in spring and fall makes you want all the traction you can get when it gets critical. Living here actually makes me wonder why all cars aren't AWD, though I do see the reasons flatlanders get away with F or R...

It actually felt like a risk to purchase a FWD car here, and lots of my friends are placing their bets on whether I'll still have this Prius by winter of 2011. Here's hoping, since I love it!

BTW - a locking differential would be even better!

5. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was going to suggest this as well but you beat me to it! Sure a little bit of complexity and weight is added, but I doubt it would impact the mileage too much. It would be nice to have low speed traction in the rear wheels in snow and going up steep hills in rain and snow. Isn't that how the RX400h works?

I really doubt that Toyota will consider AWD for the Prius but you never know. Having owned a few Audis I can say that AWD is a real nice feature to have.

6. accordingly

accordingly Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't need it, FWD is more than sufficient to drive around in snow for me, and I wouldn't consider the Prius for offroading. I actually think having AWD makes people think they can get away with more in the snow than they can when it really doesn't do much once the vehicle is moving.

7. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I took my TCH off the driveway onto the grass which had dew on it and as soon as I hit a very slight grade my car's traction control shut me down. I won't even consider driving my Prius in the winter without snow tires this year but even then I don't trust it. I'll be driving the HH (similar concern but at least it has 4wd-i).

8. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    But then you're stuck with the 15" wheels and not all the Adv. Tech. features available in U.S. Prius, no?

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Fine.. go to Australia. They have everything except the 17" alloys.

Ok guys. Yes please read the question carefully. I'm sure an AWD Prius would have a little more ground clearance than a standard 2WD one.

Plus, note that 4WD-i is in 2WD most of the time. It sends power to the rear elec. motor when slippage is detected at the front wheels. Basically, the same system as the Highlander and RX (like I said before...)

10. grahamy

grahamy New Member

Model:
    III
    ]
    No, no, and no!
    It would not be a Prius. More tire wear, lower mpg, minimal handling gain, and a move in the reverse direction from Prius technology which is all about substituting electronic control for old-fashioned mechanical solutions.
    In snowy conditions in New England I saw too many SUV's in the ditch on a corner, presumably ending up there in the mistaken belief that 4-wheel drive gave a vehicle better lateral stability.

11. pdth

pdth Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Man, to read some of these comments, you would think AWD is the cause of bad driving skills!

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Umm... you have no idea how 4WD-i works, do you? It uses a rear electric motor. There's no driveshaft or any of the heavy mechanical bits you speak of. It's an ingenious solution if you think about (esp. since most wouldn't take their SUV off-road anyway and if they do, they'll use one with 4WD not AWD)

13. mplsman

mplsman New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yup. I live in Minneapolis. If the Prius came with AWD I would've purchased one years ago.

:rockon:

14. DrJon

DrJon New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is why our other car is the Subaru Outback. My wife feels safe in the snow in the Outback. Great for a trip to the local ski area on a snow day! Don't think we'll try this in the Prius, even with dedicated snow tires!

15. pdth

pdth Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Actually we used to own both a Ford Expedition and a Honda CRV, and found that for off-road places we like to travel to (trailheads and campsites), the CRV was just fine other than being under-powered. We really didn't need the 4WD and ended up getting rid of the Expedition as it was not economical and was starting to need a lot of repairs.

But the thing is, most people, ourselves included, just don't travel off road very often. We go maybe 4-5 times a year and that's probably more than most SUV owners. Very few go on difficult 4WD trails and yes they use tougher equipment. So Toyota's solution makes a lot of sense, because you don't have to invest too much weight in a feature you might not use very often.

We replaced the Expedition with the Forester, which has more power than the CRV and is now our first choice for off road use. We found in our recent road trip that the Prius has more power than the Forester (i.e. able to climb steep hills more easily). So if there were a vehicle with the Forester's capabilities but more economical like the Prius, that would interest us when the Forester comes up for replacement.

I'm not sure which is more responsible for the Prius' fuel economy — the hybrid engine or the aerodynamics. I suspect it's both. So an efficient AWD vehicle probably wouldn't have the usual SUV boxy shape. But that's just fine with me.

16. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    There's not enough overall power in the Prius HSD powertrain to make it work, IMHO. Build it into the Matrix or RAV-4 using the Camry HSD platform w/ 4wd-i and you'd have a winner in that category.

17. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I traded in an '08 Highlander Hybrid with the 4WD-i setup, and on acceleration and when wheel slip was detected the rear wheels got power. Otherwise only the fronts got power, so "most of the time" it handled like a FWD vehicle.

With the traction control and VSC and all the other stuff on the Prius, I think it's just fine like it is. I didn't find the 4WD-i on the Highlander to be any great shakes, and certainly didn't ever feel like it gave me any more confidence driving in adverse conditions.

18. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Reading this thread I just have to wonder how much semantics might influence peoples feelings.

The second you call it a PRIUS AWD a lot of people dislike the idea because they are applying Prius expectations to the whole concept.

I wonder if it just was the same concept, idea and general vehicle but you called it something entirely different, if people wouldn't relax and go "Hmm..sounds interesting"?

19. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not picturing an SUV at all. An electric motor in each wheel, with full traction control, would be brilliant. It'd be more efficient, not less. With an height-adjustable suspension, an AWD/4x4 Prius could be the safest, most capable car on the road.

20. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm with you there. Surely Toyota's already designing the 2015 - where do we put our suggestions for that? :)