1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Would you want to go back to vBulletin (the old software)?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cwerdna, Jun 6, 2012.

?
  1. YES! Definitely! This new software sucks!

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Yes, but I don't feel as strongly as the above.

6 vote(s)
    21.4%
  3. Maybe.

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. Don't care either way/neutral.

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  5. No, I'd rather stick w/this new software.

11 vote(s)
    39.3%
  6. NO! There's NO WAY I'd want to go back!

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So, given the new look, changes, extra features, feature loss (I've noted a bunch), bugs, seemingly much better performance, new limitations, would you want Danny to go back to vBulletin? (I have no idea if this is even in the realm of possibility for Danny.)

I do recall Danny posting about some of his reasons why he switched away from vBulletin.

I recognize that some of the issues we're seeing are still work in progress but I'm not clear how many of them are fixable by Danny. Some of it might require work by the developers of this new software. I'm talking about stuff like:
    - no icon for a thread,
    - inability to specify titles for replies to threads,
    - not being able to easily see how liked a given post,
    - inability to see what posts you yourself have thanked/liked (?),
    - no TABLE support (so old tables are now busted)
    - a lot fewer emoticons (so many of the old ones are busted now)
    - inability to turn off link parsing
    - inability to turn off emoticon parsing so stuff like site:priuschat.com gets converted (should be
    Code:
    site:priuschat.com

It's not clear how high a priority fixing the above/creating features to match what vBulletin is to he developers.

Some of the feature loss is a bit annoying...

2. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    He could go back but I think the new forum software is much better, the Alerts and What's New with the blue button (First Unread) pretty much run the show for me. Hop on, check Alerts then do a What's New.

Newest first would be nice but First Unread blue button probably works better.

I really like the Home page much better since it is driven by the Forum content along with PC Facebook and PC Twitter content.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm really starting to like the new forum. It feels more friendly to me. It has a tighter integration into the social aspect which is noticeable in the twitter and facebook tie-ins. And since we think of Priuschat as a community, the social connections make it that much more so.

Oh sure there are new sets of features and some of the same features are simply named something else but all in all, I'm liking it so far. Also, there are Moderation features you guys don't see which are a TON easier to access than previously. So I'm really liking that part. For example, now I can finally ban cwedna in only one click. How cool is that?!

4. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I love the user interface on vBulletin and really hate to give it up, but most of the basic functionality still exists.

It's not been brought up much if at all, but PC would be down weekly for a few hours and/or be slow at other times - have not noticed that so far.

Is vBulletin losing their edge? Don't know, but their latest version should be faster and work with social media - does it?

I'm starting to get into social media, but will be slow using it here....starting on Twitter, really active on LinkedIn, but really not into Facebook. I want to be careful what I say on FB.

5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's been designed with Apple's "minimal user options is a better user experience" motto. Even the graphics are a ripoff from an iOS inspired theme. Problem is the techies will hate it, the laymen will love it, and others won't even noticed it changed.

I don't like it at all, and have no use for any of the social aspects or any of the "improvements".

ftl likes this.
  6. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Considering that the new software will ignore a users post AND his quoted posts I'd have to say . . .

HELL NO!

Stev0 likes this.
  7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    First of all, there is a crazy respect I have to have for a poll that basically presents 2 Yes answers. 2 Maybe answers, and 2 No answers.

At this point? I miss the old Prius Chat. But it's too early and a work in progress, so I'm not going to say go back.

8. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I didn't really care for vbulletin before, so I vote no... I really don't care... but no, it's Danny's new toy and he should be able to enjoy his toys without me telling him what he should be enjoying...

I am happy the forum is still up, and that I can come here for news and entertainment.

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm surprised I've gotten so few responses considering the # of active users we have here.

I guess people don't come to FHoP much or they're in the don't care/neutral camp?

10. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I love the new forum. Interface is much improved in my opinion.
    'Alerts' is awesome.
    'What's New' is even more easily accessible.
    So is watched threads and recent activity.

Performance is hugely improved.

Yes there are little details that are different or not available.
    To me though, it feels like the foundation of the site is much stronger and solid.

11. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Going back to vBulletin isn't enough. We should just go back to Usenet (rec.autos.prius).

Trebuchet likes this.
  12. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I'm really taking a shine to this reincarnation, particularly how fast it is compared to the previous version. I like most of the new features (although I can't say I've explored them all), especially the alerts. I think Danny deserves a lot of credit for making the leap. Just like with any software, some will hate it, some will love it, and any new visitors to PriusChat won't know what we're talking about.

Trebuchet and amm0bob like this.