1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

wouldn't start

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Kedavis, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Something that should have been suggested sooner; check the manual on what to do for extended parking of the car. On my old gen2, you could turn off the smart key system to reduce its drain on the battery for example.

Restating what I said before, you'll likely want to be more proactive when replacement time starts approaching after what this battery has been through.

Maybe she also has one of these.
    [​IMG]

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That guy has a real "what are you looking at" look. Expect he gets that a lot.

Kedavis, jerrymildred and Trollbait like this.
  3. Kedavis

Kedavis Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I drove it Monday for 15 minutes on the highway and local roads. It had no problems starting. The "check engine" light is still on.
    A Toyota service tech told me that the "check engine" light will go off on its own if no problems are detected after a couple days. He said I should drive at least every 3 days in gas-only mode for at least 20 minutes. That's more than I drive normally (every couple days, on EV or flex mode, for 5-15 minutes).
    I read the 2 manual sections on the key. It says some battery-saving features are automatic, some you can set yourself. I'll be sure to keep them in mind next time if I plan on leaving the car idle for a while.
    Thanks for the advice.

4. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The 20 minutes driving is what I remember hearing for what a starter battery needing to replenish what was used for turning over the engine. The solar battery maintainer is probably something to look into for anybody with mostly short drives looking to extend the battery's life as long as possible.

Kedavis likes this.
  5. Kedavis

Kedavis Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks. I'll have to look into that.

6. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The traction battery starts the engine. A solar charger will not replenish that,

7. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    My comment was specific to what I heard about non-hybrids.
    Turning on the car is less work for the 12V in a battery in a hybrid, but modern cars have higher vampire loads now, and past hybrids tended to have smaller capacity 12 volts. Lead-acid batteries last longer sitting at 100% charge, and when only discharged shallowly. For any car that is parked most of the time, or its daily drive cycle is under the time the car needs to fully recharge the battery, a solar battery maintainer could help extend its life.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  8. mistermojorizin

mistermojorizin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I was trying to find these sections about battery-saving features and couldn't find them. Would you mind telling me which sections?