1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wow, crappy gas mileage on a 260 mile round trip from Charlotte to Asheville NC

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by Brad K, Mar 7, 2014.

1. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I've done that RT twice in the last year and got 48 mpg averaging 65 mph from Greensboro. That includes climbing the hill into Asheville at 65 mph. Are you driving steadily? Or measuring the mpg by the display instead of dividing distance by gallons to refill from full tank?

2. Brad K

Brad K Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    It was the cold and driving rain that did it I am sure, hasnt been that bad since but its always been dry and sunny

3. Brad K

Brad K Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Another update: Went camping in the mnts, took 2 adults, two backpacks, cooler and a 65 lb dog. I went 60 mph on an 80 mile trip from Morganton NC to Charlotte NC and the car got 60 mpg according to the computer, so probably 58 mpg in reality. On the way there I did 70 mph and computer said only 47 mpg so probably 45 mpg. It is hilly all the way to and from but no real climb, just rolling hills. Both days dry weather and 60-70 degrees

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    excellent!(y)

Brad K likes this.
  5. Brad K

Brad K Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I got 455 miles on this tank, Im estimating I can get 503 miles before it goes dry

ztanos likes this.
  6. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought it was BS, until I checked with EPA.

Compare Old and New MPG Estimates

looks like you should have kept your honda.

7. Brad K

Brad K Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    on a 470 mile trip to Florida on the interstate going between 70 and 80 mph depending on what the traffic flow would allow, I got about 45.5-46 mpg. On the way back I took the state highways in the country for 2/3 until I hoped on the interstate for the last 2 hours. This cut off about 70 miles but the State roads are only 55 mph. There was zero traffic so it was great. I got 58 mpg according to the computer (so probably 56) until the interstate. I started doing about 80 until my average dropped below 55 so I slowed to 68 mph for the remainder of the trip, costing only a little time but it never dropped below 54.5 mpg trip computer all the way home. Travel time was about the same as the interstate but mpgs were much better. I think the key to this car is going 68 mph or less.

8. Brad K

Brad K Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

naw this car is FAR FAR superior to the Honda and it was worn out

9. rjdriver

rjdriver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    As you have found on subsequent trips (and I have found the same on my 2012 C) 70 mph or there about seems to be the cutoff between getting over or under 50 mpg on the highway. I am surprised you didn't do better on the return trip from Asheville, as its all down hill with a drop of around 1400 feet in elevation to Charlotte. Must have been the cold and the rain. At 32-34 degrees the heat would be on all the time, and with rain I would imagine the AC was needed for frequent defogging. The need to keep the cabin warm means the ICE would never shut off, even if you were coasting down hill. And since the AC runs off the hybrid battery there would be little opportunity for economy there while coasting either. Just a bad confluence of weather, environment, and speed.

skayaks likes this.
  10. tjohn6041

tjohn6041 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I would recommend be very mindful of the airflow off other vehicles. A big one is to not be in the bow shock of box trucks or any large vehicle. Draft where you can and don't gas it up any hills.