1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

WOW the prius nav is even more useless than I thought!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by RaZa, May 7, 2012.

1. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Rant warning. If you don't want to hear me whine and bitch please move on lol

So I'm driving today and realize hey I need to hit hit an ATM for some $$. Well I'm driving so we all know what that means. Useless nav. So I decide to give the voice recognition a try just for the heck of it, since I know my garmin will give me the answer I need within seconds. So I ask the nav to find nearest ATM. It understood me perfectly, but guess what? NO MATCHES FOUND!!! Really? No atms? Really? AT ALL ANYWHERE?? The garmin came up with at least 10 matches within a mile of where I was (which was downtown Orlando Florida btw, not like I'm in the middle of some unpopulated desert or something.) So has anyone ever found anything about the current nav that useful in any way what-so-ever? So far I have not. Dam I hate toyota for putting that crap in my car. Premium system my a$$. 7 inch diagonal waste of space more like it.

Oh and guess what? I didn't run over any nuns or children while I was using the garmin either. The speed lockout crap pi$$es me off to no end, but I guess it's irrelevant now that I know that the nav is completely non functional anyways.. Oh well. Looking forward to seeing what after market navs will be compatible with 2012's. The only thing of interest I have seen on that screen is the 30 minute mpg bar-graph which I would gladly live without for a working system though.

2. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Same issue with 6". Hands free is supposed to be for when you are driving.

Not to worry though since driving or not, the thing can't understand you and if it does it can't find anything unless you know the Toyota Nav Code Talker cryptography. Where "Street" is "St." or "ST" or who knows what.

They were offering the update for $168. I'm looking for a nice Garmin that costs $167.

Which makes you wonder why they just don't embed a Garmin nav in the dash.

3. AZGeek

AZGeek Semi-informed Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    That's disappointing to hear. Was this with Entune enabled via the smartphone link? I thought added back some missing functionality.

4. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hell I bought a nuvi 50 back in november for $110. It's a 5 inch screen and lifetime maps and is hands down the best nav I've used.

I've read about the kenwood double din system that uses garmin software for it's nav. It looks really good, and I may be looking into getting this soon.

5. swg

swg 12 Prius / 13 Volt

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've been very happy with the nav, its functionality and the voice recognition in both prii's we have. Both are the 6" version. I use the 'find next' all the time with about a 90% recognition. Sorry to hear of your issues though, I realize it must of been very frustrating especially if you have the premium nav!

ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T ? 2

6. jabecker

jabecker driver of Prii since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Whatever else it might be, premium it is not. Why should I have to go through the hassle of pairing my phone with Entune, with the added privilege of paying for the data usage, when almost any off-the-shelf product would work much better?

I'd gladly trade for the system in my 2005. At least it worked.

7. jabecker

jabecker driver of Prii since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is the update only for the 6"? What does it cover?

8. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I keep old fashioned paper maps in my car. I never really liked using nav systems, call me old fashioned I guess.

9. rickelchilango

rickelchilango Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I haven't tried the voice recognition thing yet, but I still think the new nav is a downgrade from the one on the 2010 (and most likely 2011)..

I do like the on-screen audio changes, like how it shows the cover art for the track you are playing via an iPod, but that's mainly it..

But, as far as the navigation part of it goes, total downgrade.. Not only is the screen smaller than that on the 2010, but there's the black bar at the bottom of the screen that tells you what street you are currently on, which I was able to hide on the 2010 model, but not on this one.. Unless it's hidden within the settings somewhere? Anyway, having that at the bottom of the screen makes the view-able area even smaller! POS.. I prefer using my iPhone for navigation purposes, to be honest..

10. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As frustrating as people with low standards of functionality saying they are "very happy" with markedly inferior products for markedly superior pricing and how everyone else should share their low standards and "be happy".

11. skilbovia

skilbovia Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I am firmly completely totally convinced that we are putting ourselves and others at risk when we fart around with electronic devices when we are driving. I don't care about your civil liberties or second amendment rights. I can't believe what I see on the roads these days. People used to never drive across centerlines unless they were drunk. I see it all the time now during the day when drinking is at a minimum. I appreciate that Toyota makes the attempt to protect us from ourselves. I think greying out features on the nav system is as important as seatbelts and airbags.
    If you disagree, please twiddle when there are no other cars around. I really don't care if you do yourself in programming your Garmin. Just please don't take me with you.

1 person likes this.
  12. Big Steve

Big Steve ramblin wreck

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I agree totally. Yes I am frustrated if I want to do something I think is safe, and the system prevents it, but agree that it is the right thing for Toyota to do.

Further after using Garmin for years, I think the Deluxe Nav in my car is great. It gets me from where I am to where I want to be, and never says out loud "Recalculating!"

1 person likes this.
  13. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've had no problems finding my way around with the nav on my 2010. I really prefer a built in nav to sticking things on my windshield by suction cup and dangling curly wires everywhere.

14. ralleia

ralleia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm getting a Prius with the premium NAV, but it was more about the traffic and other data interfaces for me. One of my pet peeves is going down the interstate, passing an exit and just over the next crest, traffic is going 0.1 miles per minute because somebody messed up big time three miles ahead...

15. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I could not agree more. I see this more and more while driving to and from work every day. People distracted by cell phones or other electronics.

If you do not have one moment to whip in to the first parking lot or pull off the side of the road to input an address, please don't take me with you either.

16. TruSound

TruSound Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Couldn't agree more, I'll plug in addresses that have existed in Los Angeles for 20+ years, this nav can't find it, extremely frustrating...not to mention the lack of decent voice recognition, guess my English is not as good as I thought it was.

17. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Which is the whole point of Hand Free, eyes on the road which is why Toyota's lousy system is so frustrating. It actually distracts users to see what error message or what bobo choices it offers based upon whatever dialect of Klingon it uses.

1 person likes this.
  18. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm very happy with my Nuvi w/lifetime traffic. It's saved me from many nasty jams going up and down 95.

Another thing with factory nav systems is the cost for repair when they're out of warranty. A fellow just had one replaced and it was $810 just for the exchange unit.

19. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Then why half nice person it? Toyota should go all the way and just turn off everything but the speed indicator. How many of you are taking your eyes of the road to gaze at the hsi? Most I'd wager. Double standard.

Also Toyota has done things that simply promote even more distraction then if they simply left things alone. For example, if I need to make a call while I'm driving my morning commute I'm simply not going to pull off the road to find the number to make the call, sorry. Toyota totally blocks my address book, so essentially they are encouraging me to now have to pull out my phone and thumb through it to find a number instead of just being able to use the large touchscreen right in front of my face which wouldn't be nearly as distracting. More double standards.

In a nutshell I'm talking about convenience here, not distractions. I paid a premium price for a "top of the line" system and it's so inconvenient to use, and so crippled, I literally cannot use it at all. I would prefer to have the choice since I paid for it, just as you would have the choice NOT to use it if it's that big of a problem for you. All this means is now I have to go out of my way to find something better. Toyota chastising and limiting me is not the answer. It just creates ill will. I will never buy another factory nav system ever again. 100% complete waste of money.

In the mean time all you guys with toyota on this one should make sure to turn off and otherwise disable any screens or distractions on your dash or nav. If you're not willing to do this at least realize how hypocritical you're being and stop posting here.

Garmins have stopped saying recalculating over a year ago...

2 people like this.
  20. swg

swg 12 Prius / 13 Volt

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well just so you know I traded an Acura TL Type S with what the industry calls one of the best navs. No I can't change the temp with the prii or other extra goodies but as I said it is very good. I also returned a Garmin I had in the other vehicle we traded. You are entitled to your your opinion and I'm entitled to mine!!!

ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T ? 2