1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wow, was I surprised...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by stevepea, Nov 8, 2018.

1. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Something interesting happened in California last night.

Quick background: cars are much more fuel efficient now, and consume much less gas than 30 years ago. The problem is, less gas used = less money coming in to repair the roads (via the state gas tax), thus the gas tax and car registration fee was hiked recently. So there was a state ballot initiative which would have repealed the recent hikes in the gas tax and registration fees.

Well, Californians went to the polls... and amazingly, a majority of Californians actually realized that in this world, you do not get something for nothing.

Please don't make this political, as I'm not posting this with politics in mind (there are other threads for that).

Rather, politics aside, just in the abstract, I'm totally amazed that a majority of a state as large as California:
    (1) Realized that you don't get something for nothing in this world
    (2) Was able to connect the dots and figure out why a higher tax was needed
    (3) Voted to keep taxing ourselves more because of it.

Who does that anymore, when it's a politician's job (of either party) to promise something for nothing?

That's what has me amazed.

What was the last time a majority of people decided to go ahead and "take their medicine?"
    Or "eat their broccoli"?

This isn't about left vs right, about if there were better options or not, if it was the right approach or not, or anything like that.

Rather, the politics of it aside, I'm just amazed that so many people here decided we were okay with "taking our medicine" and "eating our vegetables", as it were. Huh.

#1 stevepea, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    Tideland Prius likes this.
  2. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    You are assuming of course, that the State is actually going to use that money to fix roads.
    Maybe some of it... but I bet the majority of the tax money gets skimmed off, and blown somewhere else.
    Hope I'm wrong, and hope some of that State money is shared with the local cities. The streets are a mess in a lot of areas.

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    State referendums mean that it's pretty hard to say that the people didn't get rudder input.
    I approve of them unreservedly as long as folks understand that they can be challenged to conform with legal norms.
    Example: Prop 9
    Oh wait.
    Excuse me....I forget that the California recycles some of their prop numbers.
    Prop 9 in this case would have attempted to split Caly into three states.......because evidently gazillionaires are not necessarily familiar with the US Constitution (as amended...)

As long as the ballot initiatives are accurately phrased (something that hasn't happened in the past) I think that they're just fine, and it doesn't have to be the cause celeb for political feces farmers.
    For P6, I don't have 'skin in that game' but if I'm accurately informed from folks that I know who live behind the wire, the reason that P6 was a 'thing' is that road taxes sometimes....aren't.
    That's about as far as I can dip my toe into that scummy pond on this side of the kindergarten.

California residents collectively are not tax averse.
    And they LOOOOOOOOVE bonds!
    Period.

If I could afford to live there, and if they were not already choked with 39.54 million other people living there I might consider moving there myself.
    After all.....we have ultra liberal enclaves east of the Rockies that have to endure abysmal weather and one thing you have to give props to Caly for (pun almost unintended) is that they have good weather!!!

The people have spoken....

4. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I understand you don't get something for nothing and I'm willing to pay my fair share, BUT that's not what happened here. We were already paying our fair share and the people were sold a bill of goods. The discussion should have been how our gas taxes, already among the highest in the nation before the legislature passed the increase, were being spent on everything BUT fixing roads. This election we were inundated with millions of dollars in scare tactic advertising, never mentioning once that they were already collecting a lot of money that should be earmarked for roads but aren't.

The only redeeming thing about this ballot initiative is that it was written spelling out exactly how the funds could be spent (% for road repair, % for mass transit, etc.) so they couldn't siphon off the funds for pet and social projects like they've been doing for the last 25 years.

ETC(SS) - You're right about people here loving bonds. They don't realize that they have to be paid with interest by the taxpayers. It's amazing how many discussions over the years I've had with people who don't understand that.