1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wow: What a difference a browser makes

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stevewoods, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had trouble with FireFox on PriusChat last fall and switched to Edge for a couple of weeks, but slipped back to FireFox.

Today, somehow, I accidentally opened Edge and decided to go ahead and visit PriusChat.

Wow -- got hit with a hail storm of ads. I don't see any of those with FF. Back to FF (sorry, Danny).

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When I upgraded to Win10 I tried Edge for a while, and found it so bare-bones and awkward. Discovered MS had (grudgingly I assume) continued to provide Internet Explorer, switched back: ahh.

But then, I forget what, but something was playing up in IE, and I had FireFox installed, mainly for increased security if visiting PB for example, so thought I'd give it a go. Love it now.

Had a similar experience trying to find a simple email program, after fighting with MS's offering ended up with Mozilla Thunderbird.

And yet another similar experience with MS's built-in games in Win10: they've turned them into Las Vegas style, ad laden crap in Win10. Found the old-school games, updated to run on 10, available from Winaero. IIRC, you just need to be careful during install, disable extra installs.

RCO likes this.
  3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The very first time I opened Edge, it was hit with an attack and security warnings before the page I wanted even loaded.

RCO likes this.
  4. davids45

davids45 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    G'day,

Probably it's 'bad form' to talk about ad-blockers given some ads here are helping to pay for running PriusChat, ..... but what firefox ad-blocking extensions are you using?

Recently I've found Ublock to be quite effective in mozilla browsers (I use seamonkey as well as firefox).
    Ublock's tool-bar icon is telling me I've blocked out 9 ads while posting now. I don't know that's the true number or these are all pop-up ads, but without a blocker, I had found getting started in PriusChat was somewhat slow and annoying (please, no comments about that's how my Prius c starts too!).

Anyway, the Ublock add-on is feeling better than the 'standard' Adblock, so I'm curious how others find things.

David S.

RCO likes this.
  5. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, I know what you mean about bad form....but for awhile....a year or so ago, my browser was totally knocked out by all the video ads on the left side of the screen. Don't see any, any more.

But, having said that, I really don't know much about computers/browsers. All I did was install FF. I did not add any extras. I did call up my list of add-ons and extensions and there is nothing there except Silverlight, Adobe, Shockwave, Picasa and Video codec....the only ones I recognize are Picasa and Adobe....

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Recently the Republicans decided our Internet practices can be recorded and sold. So I'm looking at VPN solutions to stop this nonsense. I'll also fix the cookie problem so in effect, I'll become a 'nuclear submarine' in the ocean . . . a hole in the ocean.

Bob Wilson

7. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Cyberghost offers a really good free one, Bob. I'd recommend giving it a try. Their premium subscription is faster with more international servers. Every now and again they offer a cheap deal outside black Friday which is a great idea. I have taken one of theirs last year for up to 5 devices, but haven't seen it this year yet. NO, I don't work for them or married one of 'em. As i said they will allow free installation on pc, laptop, Android or iOS.

8. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Meh....
    I just ignore the ads.....or I'll watch the site get bumfuzzled when I talk about Dodge Challengers, and before you can say "planet-killer" I'll get banner ads for the nearest Dodge dealership to wherever the VPN causes PC to think that I am at the moment......usually Atlanta or Chicargo.
    Sometimes, I'll dash out to the googles and do a quick looky-see to answer a question and *poof!!!* I get ads for window tint, moose repellent, infant car seats, all manner of things.

Occasionally the ads will be useful and relate to something that I'm actually looking to buy.....like a Fitbit Charge 2 ‑ Activity Tracker with Heart Rate Monitor... that I'm interested in getting so that my neighbors can laugh at the old fart trying to do the couch-to-5k thing.

I'll actually do a few click thrus to earn Danny some Bongo Bucks.......sometimes just to see what ads come up next.

Interesting enough.....PC is, well........PC.

I've never gotten a banner ad for Smith&Wesson or Sig Sauer...... :eek:

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I started using Adblock because priuschat just wouldn't run with the ads, at least back with internet explorer on windows 7. I've disabled it once or twice and got same problems. Haven't lately though.

10. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @Stevewoods, I've been using Firefox for many years. Always really liked it. I still do, but lately it's become a processor hog. It's very fast and about as secure as they come, but lately it kills my laptop battery and makes the fans absolutely roar on some sites including this one. Not a problem on the desktop, though. I have very few plug ins and tried disabling them, but it didn't help. Since I'm in the Apple universe, I decided to give Safari another shot. I never was thrilled with it. But this version is growing on me and it's nice to have work & home computers in sync. And if a site wants my location, Safari asks me if that's OK or not. But, FF is still more powerful and configurable, imho. And a lot more available for Windows users.

I've only opened Edge a couple times on computers at work. Ick!! :sick:

RCO likes this.
  11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Until a few years ago, low bandwidth and a 3GB monthly data limit (on a land-based connection, no cable TV) forced me to block ads, scripts, and most third-party web content in order to get reasonable page loading times and keep down overage charges. Then after witnessing repeated outbreaks of ad-delivered malware, I was quite happy to have blocked the delivery vehicles before the attacks happened.

The monthly data limit has since been lifted. The bandwidth has been increased, but remains well below industry norms. The continued industry trend of severe web page bloat thus demands that I continue to block the voluminous but non-essential elements of most web pages.

12. davids45

davids45 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    G'day,

As well as many other browsers (PaleMoon, Chrome, Chromium, Vivaldi, Iron, Slimjet to name a few), there is also LightFirefox which claims to be less resource-intensive than the standard version of Firefox. It should use or even share the same profile as a normal Firefox?

Light download | SourceForge.net

And probably there are even more out there based on Firefox or mozilla software.

I've loaded and tried LightFirefox on my desktop, but as I don't use Windows, I don't have a browser speed problem and can't say I see much difference. Lots of U-tubing may be a good test of any difference, but I'm too old for this 'modern' stuff - give me words, not pictures.

David S.

RCO likes this.
  13. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I've been considering the same purchase here lately. Interested in the sleep tracking and other functions. Can't decide though between the Charge 2 or the new Alta HR. Alta form factor smaller but Charge has more functions. And then take a look at the Samsung Gear Fit 2. Too flashy maybe, color display and all. Think I may just settle on the Charge 2 after all.

Oh, and to stay on topic, I use Chrome browser mostly with a paid version of Ad Block and a new add-on I'm trying called Privacy Badger. It breaks some websites, but blocks and eats the cookies of tracking sites. I also use Firefox, IE, and Edge sometimes. I webmaster a little bit and have to check content and presentation in various browsers.

14. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I went with the Charge 2.
    I like the form factor of the Alta, but the lack of even being able to tether it to a GPS was a show stopper.
    $129 at Wally, and it seems to be a SOLID performer thus far.......although it's tough getting used to wearing a watch again.
    The pedometer function seems to be a little optimistic (I'll ground truth it with the GPS later) since it says that I logged 12,000 steps today.
    The sleep function seems to run and the optical heart rate is about as good as they get.
    What fun is that??? :D
    [​IMG]

I'm on the company's VPN now (FF over Win7) and so I just get generic ads here.
    Funny thing.
    I've been doing extensive research for a new summer EDC (shhhh! it's a gun thing! :eek: ) and PC didn't know quite what to make of it, so they sent me ads from a sporting goods company (Academy Sports.)

I clicked on the banner add, since I already go to their site regularly, and I don't mind tossing Danny a dime every now and then.
    Really.....adds bother me not in the least.

15. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    That pretty much cinches it for me then. Some of the Best Buy reviews were less than stellar and had me worried, but I think people that have problems with technology will always have problems with technology. It's been a good 5 years since I retired my Casio Alti-Depth watch when the second replacement band broke, so I'll have to get used to the collar with the bell on it again. The reviews did say the step counts could be thrown off by riding in cars on bumpy roads. Plenty of those around. I'll see later this week what kind of deals my local AAFES store might have.

16. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Re: the Charge 2. I mostly like mine, especially since they updated the firmware shortly after I got it in Nov. or Dec. Two things, though.
    1. The wrist band is horrible. What are they thinking? My only two viable options were too loose or too tight. So I bought one of these:

MUCH more comfortable now. And easier.
    2. The heart rate monitor usually thinks I'm dead when I'm out for a vigorous walk. The new band is infinitely adjustable and I've had it all up and down my wrist and it still only shows my heart rate about 1/4 of the time. VERY frustrating. But when I'm not active, it's perfect. There are lots of discussions about that on their forum.
    I agree that the step counter can be a little optimistic. Tying my shoe counts as anywhere from 7-12 steps. LOL!

And for the real topic, I'm with @ETC(SS) on the ads. They don't bother me either IF they stay off to the side and don't obscure what I'm trying to read. When that happens, I'm as likely as not to never come back to that web site. That's just too rude.

17. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Thanks for the tip. I was looking at the leather bands, wondering if they were worth the $. I have read many reviews and spent time on the forum. Probably get my Charge 2 next Friday.

jerrymildred likes this.
  18. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmmmmm!!!!!
    I haven't had the HR problems with mine, but the silicone band is pretty frustrating after two days.
    I was thinking that it just a problem between my ears getting used to wearing a watch again, but I think that I'm going to have to check out the velcro replacement band @ the zon.

Just to keep it topic friendly, I'll wait until there's an Amazon banner ad to give PC the credit.....

AzWxGuy and jerrymildred like this.