1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wozniak cites 'scary' 2010 Prius acceleration problem

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by cwerdna, Feb 2, 2010.

1. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'd say it's a large subset of the total population. :madgrin:

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't really have a comment on Steve's alleged problem. If it is something that is happening and he can replicate it then maybe his high profile announcement will lead to a resolution....but his description of what is happening is pretty vague and given as much scrutiny as The Prius is exposed to in this very site, I've seen very few complaints about any problem with the cruise control and acceleration. Honestly I'm just curious as to what he is talking about. Toyota has already sold a ton of the 2010 Prius and by my knowledge Steve is the only one complaining. I'd really like to know what "scary" acceleration he is talking about.

Also I guess I have to say, Ugh...Poor Toyota. One of their biggest sellers and one that hasn't been part of the accelerator pedal recall but now it get's this stigma attached because of Wozniak?

If it's really a problem, then as always discover and fix. BUT man, what horrible timing to release publicly, a personal observation. The media will jump all over his comment.

It's like Toyota is trying to fight a huge forest fire of negative publicity and Steve is over in the corner lighting bushes on fire.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Interesting. The earlier, NHW11 cruise control consists of a series of resistors with momentary contact switches to enter different values. I haven't looked at the ZVW30 but now I'm wondering if both the NHW20 and ZVW30 are using the same setup and either have some resistor value drift or cr*p in the gap of the switches.

I'll check my maintenance manual for the ZVW30 but I don't think it covers the cruise control switches. I haven't ordered the electrical schematics, yet.

Does anyone with the NHW20 manual set know how the cruise control stalk signals are encoded?

Bob Wilson

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What's alleged!? He's heading for either a coronary, or a stroke, not to mention having to shop at the big & portly store. He's an important 'idea' man and it'd be a shame to see hime die early and ... oh wait ... you were talking about .... never mind

:p

5. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    In the NHW20, the cruise control switch signals go directly to the Hybrid Vehicle ECU. The cruise control is handled by the HV ECU and the Skid Control ECU (for the cancel function from the stoplight switch).

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. Hidyho

Hidyho Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Its going to be interesting to see where it goes from here.

7. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Here's his quote from Slashdot about the problem:

The CC is supposed to only go up 1 MPH at a time, so I think the first part of his "problem" is normal. Maybe not for a guy who also drives exotic cars, but for a Prius you would expect it to take some time to reach that 1 MPH extra. But I've never heard of the problem where it won't stop increasing speed. Might have to take the car out tonight after hours to test.

8. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's just cold. Honestly if it's a problem and his announcement leads to it being fixed then all Prius owners and Toyota owe him a debt of thanks.

Just that this was one of the first headlines I read today and I just had to think....what horrible timing for Toyota.

With a little further digging it does appear that Steve has potentially uncovered a flaw. Seems like he is talking about acceleration with cruise control at speeds above 80mph.

I don't think this is going to affect many Prius owners in day to day driving but if it is a flaw Kudos to Steve.

9. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just be careful. Maybe that is why Wozniak was hesitant to be too descriptive at first. Imagine how many Prius owners are going to want to hit the freeway and go 80mph plus and "test" this theory.

10. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm a trained professional, TEM. Or something like that.

11. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What? That's completely unrelated...the Prius will take forever to pick up speed at those speeds...and yea, you click up the CC 15 times eventually it'll go into WOT mode and speed you up 15mph--just like you commanded it to.

What a duffus, that is a "commanded" acceleration just not behaving like he wants/expects it to.

12. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't think 85 mph speed is legal on any public highways in the US... Hope that not too many 2010 PriusChat members get speeding tickets tonight, as they test the bug pointed out by Steve Wozniak...

13. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It'll be interesting to see the Prius/Toyota fanboys and the Apple fanboys battle it out.

14. ToyotaFleetManager

ToyotaFleetManager New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The highest speed limits in the US is in Texas. Parts of Interstate 10 and Interstate 20 in West Texas has a maximum daytime speed limit of 80mph. So where exactly is Woz driving with a legal speed limit of 85mph?

15. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Probably his driveway.

Tom

16. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, still be careful. The problem with freeways is that the "Trained Professionals" often meet the Untrained Idiots.

17. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Exactly what I thought when I first read his comment. So I think what we've learned is you don't want to use the Prius Cruise Control on the German Autobahn.

18. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Don't mess with the Woz.

19. Tom183

Tom183 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well, he was (deliberately?) evasive in the first two comments about his problem, which suggests he's doing this more for attention than because the problem is serious - maybe he's hoping to get invited to be on "Dancing with the Stars"...
    When he finally does provide details, he describes a situation where the CC would try to accellerate slowly/smoothly to a new speed, but if you keep hitting it, will accellerate hard. Perhaps there is a genuine problem when the CC crosses a certain speed threshold, but it seems nearly as likely that he's holding it too long and it is interpreting that as "go really fast, now!".

20. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Illustrating exactly why it pays to purchase any model car at least 3 years after its initial introduction, so that the inevitable flaws and operational anomalies have been detected and corrected.

1 person likes this.