1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wrecked my gen2 today looking into options for selling for parts

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Lauren Vandergrift, Sep 7, 2019.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    but if you get an almost new oem, you're pretty much guaranteed 10 years of trouble free driving. that's worth a lot more to some people than whack a mole

Raytheeagle likes this.
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Correct, and much like gambling... There's always a chance you're gonna run across something like that for $50 at a wrecker who's not scared to resell, but most of them are.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed. i just think for many buyers who need a new battery, a bird in the hand is worth two in the wrecking yard :p

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    True, but the bird in the hand of someone who is trying to get rid of a bird is way different than someone who wants to catch only the best birds in a market where people don't even know how to identify the best birds.

For example I rescue giant house plants. I've a huge collection spread out all over town... So when people get on Craigslist and ask hundreds of dollars for houseplants that have grown too big for their home I always contact them and say, the reason a nursery can charge hundreds for a giant houseplant is it comes with a warranty replacement policy, which a craigslist seller has no way to offer. I then tell them that I never spend more than $20 for these plants and soon as they give up on their asking price and are tired of the plant not selling they know I'll pick it up same day they call for $20. And sure enough after a month or two... I get the call.

It's all about knowing your market... The rebuilders on PriusChat could tell you plenty of similar stories, but I suspect most of them are keeping their knowledge to themselves and are private messaging the original poster if they're in nearby location.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed, but this thread is about parting out a prius, and battery value

6. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, and my point is that Hybrid battery packs in the first 1/2 dozen years of the technology had huge value. Today, they have almost no value because the labor involved in rebuilding a pack and giving a warranty is the majority of the value.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    idk, a lot of people come on here and some want cheap rebuilt, and some want oem or our friend in colorado