1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wrecking MK1 Prius, 1998, sell whole or parts. IN AUSTRALIA!!!

Discussion in 'Private Sales' started by mk1PRIUSowner, Jun 12, 2008.

1. mk1PRIUSowner

mk1PRIUSowner MK1 Prius, I've got lots of em

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Hi everybody,

I've got a MK1 Prius, 1998 model that I can't get going, so I will sell it in parts or whole, to the best offer.

There is a couple here, so maybe sell one whole and one in parts? Expressions of interest wanted on the parts one. Let me know what parts you are after, and how much you think you'll pay for them.

The cars are in excellent condition throughout, with approx. 50.000 to 60.000 kms (not miles) on them only.

They are sky blue and grey/purple in color.

Enquiries from Australia only please.

Maybe if you have some good advice how to get them going?? Maybe I can keep one on the road?

One don't start, the other starts, but when you drive away, after about 200 metre the 'rabbit' sign comes up and it's recently started the big triangle asterisk warning light too.
    When you continue to drive, it's slows right down to walking pace and is very irresponsive to the throttle.

The rabbit goes away when you let it run for a bit, but comes back after you put the foot down when driving.

any help would be appreciated.

2. jmakuyi

jmakuyi New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Were you able to get any answers concerning your prius that could start but couldn't move? I am facing similar problems.
    I would be glad if I got some answers. I was wondering if the batteries need replacement.

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    There is a yahoo group called Mk1_Prius, and I recall that several posters there are also down under. Suggest you bring this up there as well.

4. luddite_john

luddite_john Enthusiastic Amatuer

Vehicle:
    1998 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I am in Canberra, and I also have a 1998 Grey Import (NHW10 Prius), bought it unseen from Queensland.

I was able to get it going i(t had all the problems mentioned), and I am now looking for a right hand drive shaft, so if you are going to sell your prius('s...es ???), or even just some parts, I am definitely interested.

As to getting yours going again, I deliberately bought a non going Prius, specifically to learn about batteries, hybrids and electric vehicles in general (so that one day I might just convert a car to electric for the "Hell of it", most likely a Porsche 944).

I had my battery back repaired, and I also paid for an auxillary power feed (Power Jockey), so that under severe power conditions (Uphill, hard accelleration etc), my Prius also uses the 12 volt Battery to provide an of additional power (almost 175 watts, so that the Prius keeps up with standard traffic from the traffic lights).

The wife has taken a shine to my grey baby, so now I have to share the Prius, she likes the height of the seats, how quiet it is, (and the incredible milegage).

This week I will be updating the Satellite Navigation system, so it doesnt look like I am driving in the ocean, somewhere off Japan.

Send me a message if you would like to talk about parts etc.

John H

5. Flatbat

Flatbat New Member

Vehicle:
    1998 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi John H, I am in queensland with the same model Prius that has a sick hybrid battery. I was quoted about $4000 to get the cells checked and repaired which is a great price compared to other quotes I've received. I'm tossing up whether to fork out and then sell it as a going car (for possibly $5,500) or hope to find a battery enthusiast who would take it off my hands for about $1500 - what do you think my chances are? and where would I go to sell it??
    any advice sincerely appreciated Flatbat

6. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I realize you are in australia, but I would look at getting a rebuilt Re-Involt pack from the states. With the USD being so low, you would come out way ahead. Under $1500USD for the pack using GenII (2004-2009) cells which are far superior inside of the older style pack for a direct swap. Cross Pacific shipping should be a couple hundred for something of that weight, but that is way lower than what you are finding.

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As an FYI, Re-Involt's prices are at FAQ.

Only problem is, I don't know if their packs will work on the NHW10 which is what these folks have. We never got the NHW10 in the US and it uses D-cells internally, unlike any Prius we ever got.

At least from John's Stuff - Toyota Prius History, the pack voltage is close enough (looking at Original aka NHW10 vs. Classic aka NHW11).

8. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Forgot this was for the NHW10... It wouldn't hurt to send an email to them just to see if maybe they toyed with the idea and/or know of a way to fix it. They are smart folks and worst case if you shipped your pack to them I am sure they could revive it.