Wrong Cabin Air Filter?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by romad, Nov 21, 2019.

1. romad

romad 2004 Prīus Package 6 Owner

Oroville, California People's Repub./Prescott, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The cabin air filter I've been using for 15 years is part # 87139-47010-83. However, the latest part number I was given for my 2004 Prius is 87139-YZZ19. While it fits, it isn't as well made as the previous part number. Did Toyota cheapen the product, or was I sold the wrong filter? Any suggested aftermarket cabin air filter as a replacement for OEM?

2. egg_salad

egg_salad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I can't answer your questions about part numbers, sorry. But that's because I don't consider the CAF to be a hyper-critical part. Then again, I don't have asthma, allergies, or any other respiratory problems. I buy the cheapest CAF I can find and change it every 6 months. Last time I bought 3 of the TYC brand from Amazon. They cost a mere $3.20. They seem to do the job just fine.

3. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Toyota’s application chart (PDF) shows that part number 87139-YZZ19 is valid for 2001–2009 Prius cars, but the “YZZ” means it’s locally sourced as a substitute, presumably to be sold at a competitive price. See footnote 8: “Warranty Part Number: Please use 87139-47010-83 (Pollen).” In other words, if a dealer has to replace the filter as part of a warranty repair, they are required to use the original part.

4. romad

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, and it looked like a piece of crap as at most it will just keep the leaves out. I'd been given a gift certificate a while back and I used it up buying a stock of cabin & engine air filters. This was the last cabin filter; all the rest of the cabin filters were the correct 87139-47010-83 filter. I'll do an Internet search to find the correct filter as I'm sure I can beat dealer pricing.

I looked at the chart and it states right there that the YZZ filter won't block dust & pollen, just debris & "odors".

bisco likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    odors should be the charcoal filter, which is a different part number. i like the oems, they are made well and fit correctly. and i get a lot more than 15k out of them

i tried a few aftermarket and wasn't satisfied.

6. romad

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, the YZZ one from Toyota may have some charcoal sprinkled on it as it looked dirty right out of the box (besides not having finished edges) and seems very porous compared to the regular filter. Once I get home, I'll order the correct Toyota filter online and maybe compare the quality to those like the FRAM one at your FLAPS.

7. Lincorp

Lincorp New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I just made this mistake a few months ago when i replaced both filters. Bought the 83 by accident and when i got it i thought they sent the wrong part. It appears the YYZ is a charcoal activated filter so that is why it is much beefier and does more than just keep the leaves and dust out.

Edit: Wrong YYZ, here is the premium one i was talking about
    87139-YZZ03

bisco and SFO like this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i tried a fram, could not insert it without the sides collapsing