1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wrong Headlight

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by wjterry, Jan 26, 2010.

1. wjterry

wjterry New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I recently purchased a pair of Type H4 Phillips X-treme headlight bulbs for my 2010 Prius III. I read the bulb is brighter (supposedly 80% brighter) than the factory installed bulb. However, when I got the bulbs, which were said to be a suitable fit to the existing socket/wiring, I found there was zero compatibility between the bulb base and the socket into which they are supposed to plug.

Has anyone had any experience with these bulbs in particular, or has anyone replaced their factory installed bulbs with an after market bulb that is a brighter bulb and fits the existing socket? If so, which bulb did you buy and where did you get it?

2. hockeydad

hockeydad New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I'm pretty sure the low beam halogen bulb for the G3 is H11, and not H4. There is a thread about this (somewhere). Who told you H4?

You can always confirm by pulling your existing bulb out. But I'm 99% certain they are H11.

3. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I second you on that... they are H11s for models other than the V. I did a HID conversion and bought the H11 kit.

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Gen II use H4. For Gen III, you need H11 bulb.

5. rstark18

rstark18 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You can also use H9 bulb with a very quick and easy mod to the bulbs socket (you must shave off one tab with a utility knife). H9's are 2100 lumen where the H11's are 1200 which makes the H9's brighter. Even though they are brighter they still have the same "halogen" color temp. I had them installed for a while but eventually went with a good HID kit.