1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wrong oil in the compressor

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kolez2000, Oct 11, 2021.

1. kolez2000

kolez2000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I changed my compressor and I just noticed I use the wrong oil for my compressor. The compressor started by not coming on. When I take of the car battery and connect's it, the compressor works.
    Can I discharge all the oil and refrigerant from the system to save the compressor? Pls advice.
    I would like to this tomorrow

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You need a very precise measurement of exact amount of refrigerant and oil. Because the system is a variable pressure system you can't use pressure to determine if you added the right amounts.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If the wrong oil has been put in the system, and is discovered quickly, there may be some recovery possible. This thread links to an article where a shop added around 150 ml of the wrong oil to a system, used the car for a couple of days, then replaced the compressor and flushed the entire rest of the system using a HECAT H-1000 flush system, and recharged it with the correct oil. The system was still ok 49,000 miles later.

Replacing the compressor may be an expense, and I do not know whether HECAT flush systems are available nearby. But it is less labor and expense than having to replace more of the A/C system.