1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wrong Windshield on Prius with Advanced Tech Package

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by normythebear, Jun 19, 2020.

1. normythebear

normythebear New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I bought my 2012 Prius 5 with Advanced Technology Package at about 153k miles about one year ago. I was eager to try out the Lane Keep Assist but was disappointed that it didn't seem to work well. I figured it was just technology that hadn't matured yet.
    However, as the months went on, I first noticed that the LKA camera seemed to be blocked by the windshield dots, which doesn't seem like something an engineer would design. I tried to find photos on the internet and to find another Prius with the ATP, but apparently, these are pretty rare and had a hard time finding photos of the windshield. When I have found it, the dots seem to be in a different shape to allow for the camera.

What I'm asking is: can you confirm that this is the incorrect windshield? And if so, what options do I have besides replacing the entire thing? I would consider it if it vastly increased the capabilities of LKA, but as of now, I don't know how well the system actually works when not obstructed. Currently, it is essentially non-funtional.

Are the dots removable? I tried a razor blade but ended up scraping a coating on the windshield I didn't even know was there.
    What's odd is that the HUD seems to work fine. The HUD only comes with the ATP, and I thought it required a specific reflective coating to work. So either both HUD and LKA would work, or neither would work.
    Any suggestions? IMG_0584.jpeg IMG_0585.jpeg IMG_0588.jpeg IMG_0589.jpeg

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That doesn't look like OEM so it's definitely been replaced and probably the previous owner either didn't tell the shop that he has LKA or the shop didn't know (or the owner didn't care).

Here's a video from a PriusChat member demonstrating LKA

3. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Correct, your windshield is not the same as the one in the video. Here's a screengrab. Even with HUD, pre-collision braking, and radar cruise control, my 2012 Advanced never had LKA- just a blank button on the steering wheel. upload_2020-6-19_5-18-5.png

4. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have the ATP and the windshield looks like the one Pluggo posted. There are no dots in front of the camera. I have a 2015 model and the LKA isn't really worth a crap. It kinda sort of nudges you into the lane, but seems to like to hug the right a bit. I think it helps with extremely minor corrections that ultimately help you stay in the lane while going straight, but it certainly isn't going to turn the car on a curve.

That having been said, when you have the LKA on, do you get the BEEPs when it detects that you are leaving the lane without a turn signall? Frankly, that's about the most you can expect from the system.

Also, is the radar cruise working well? To me, that's the primary advantage of the technology package and that works really well, imho.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  6. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    When you bought the car, was LKA working properly at the time?

7. normythebear

normythebear New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for the replies! My windshield fritz look completely different than that
    The LKA wasn't working even when I bought it about 20k miles ago. It was the only one with the tech package I could find for sale about 12 months ago. I can't find any definitive data, but I hope that the replacement windshield at least has the UV protection that all the other windows have. Yeah, LKA doesn't really work at all and when actually it turns on, it basically beeps non stop. However, the radar cruise control is great. I just wish it would come to a complete halt and accelerate smoothly, instead of basically full-throttle. That way it could be used for stop-go traffic.
    I tried to remove the dots myself with a razor, but all I did was scrape off a film that I didn't even know existed. Maybe it has something to do with the HUD reflection? Those dots are surprisingly hardy. I'll take it to a windshield shop and see if they can help.

A major reason I wanted a fully functional LKA was to try OpenPilot. Has anyone had any success with it?

Mendel Leisk likes this.