1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

WSJ's Leaf Review: Critique the critic

Discussion in 'Nissan/Infiniti Hybrids and EVs' started by hill, Sep 13, 2010.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Here's a journalist up in the bay area saying some good, and some bad:

Getting a Charge From the 2011 Nissan Leaf -- Rumble Seat by Dan Neil - WSJ.com

I don't mind if the thing IS as ugly as he claims. But here's the part I liked:

;)

2. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it is that ugly, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and not using gas is a beautiful thing. I think they might have made it ugly on purpose, so that people could show they were suffering to drive on electricity.:)

I liked these quotes

3. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "The braking system—a combination of a drag-inducing 3-kilowatt generator (regenerative braking) and conventional hydraulic brakes—has been electronically modulated to feel exactly like nothing in particular. "

Can anyone compare this regen power with the power Prius/PriusPHV can regen?
    Sounded too low to me.

4. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I knew something was ringing my ears:
    Questions about the Prius Braking System
    (year 2004)

55 Amps maximum current during braking, when going through a 201V battery, means roughly 11kW.

Does Nissan have other way of regen added to this 3kw, that say, via main motor?

5. DarrenG

DarrenG Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This bit annoys me:
    Why is this being made such a big issue? Do deaf people get run over more than hearing people?

If a man and a small boy step off the curb without seeing the car, then they need to learn some simple safety liking opening their goddam eyes! Has anyone been run over by a Prius running in EV mode? It's a non-issue which some idiots are making into a big thing. End of rant!

6. robbyr2

robbyr2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So, because the man is such a bad example for the boy by not looking both ways before crossing the street, we all get noisemakers that make hybrids and EVs louder than most 4 cylinder ICE cars.

7. gasmiser1

gasmiser1 EV Wantabee

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I saw the Leaf in person yesterday @ Boardwalk Nissan, Redwood City, CA :D It was a hands-on tour, no test rides or drives.

Fit and finish is on par with the Mirano or Maxima (except Leaf is not leather interior). Seat were quite comfortable with plenty of headroom. I'm 6'2" and I still had a few inches of headroom in the back seat and several inches headroom in the front seats. Seat fabric was just like the Prius has; microfiber type. Doors are double rubber sealed, AC blows ICE cold, touch screen was fast reacting, adequate truck space and room for a bike with the seats in back down, MP3, USB, and CD slots, traction control, but the wimpy horn has to be upgraded right away.

Overall, I was impressed with the Leaf. It looks much, much better in person.

8. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I enjoyed this candid review. I know what he means about EV driving seeming boring to certain car nuts. All the engine and drivetrain noises are reduced to about nil in a BEV. But this car will be the ultimate warm fuzzy for those wanting to change and limit gas usage or get off it altogether.