1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wth!? (dashboard dead after headliner removal...?)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by blaisep, Sep 12, 2016.

1. blaisep

blaisep Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My 2006 failed to start this morning! I mean, no dashboard lights at all, even with a jumper cable connected to another car!!

<24 hours earlier...>
    I finally decided to take on the headliner removal, so that I could replace the antenna with an antenna for my mobile ham rig. The grab bar clips were a huge PITA. I took pictures of the tool I used and some tips to post on Prius chat.I got all the other plastic parts, dome lights, etc. out and stashed in ziploc bags.
    I was proud of myself.
    Getting the headliner off the top of the B and C pillars was hard. I didn't want to damage the liner. I decided to leave it in place and deal with it tomorrow. Then I found the excellent writeup by @charliehoward so I was optimistic that the end was in sight.

Now, the dashboard is completely unresponsive. I can hear the brake actuator pumps buzzing from time to time, and they buzz when I step on the brake. Otherwise there is NO response to the start button!
    Could I have blown a fuse or something?
    Does anyone know where I should begin to look?
    I have to admit, I have never read of anyone trying to drive the car when the domelights are disconnected... is there some kind of safety switch that I need to deal with?

2. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You blew the dome light fuse. Everything runs off this including the combination meter (dashboard).

Attached Files:

blaisep likes this.
  3. blaisep

blaisep Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That makes perfect sense... un-f@#%-believable. Thank you sire, you're a gentleman and a scholar.

4. blaisep

blaisep Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here are some pics I took to help the next guy who runs into this...

Attached Files:

goldfinger likes this.