1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

WTH dealer won't budge on MSRP for order

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by madengr, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    No one would.

2. madengr

madengr New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    FWIW..

Hendrick Toyota Merriam (Kansas City) has a Blue Advanced with moonstone. It has tinted windows, side door guards, and the front protection package. MSRP is $34,900. It also has 200 miles and repaired hail damage (which did not show up on the VIN report). Adding the all-weather mats and side bumpers, they would not go below $35,200. Wasn't paying that after reading of people here getting them for under $31k on the coasts. No rebates nor 0% financing. Thus I walked, for the 4th time. Told them I was in no hurry, and wanted to check out the Hyundai Ioniq in the fall.

MSRP has dropped about $1k over the last few months.

3. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You should consider hiring an agent to locate and negotiate your new car purchase, and then have it delivered.

4. madengr

madengr New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, may have to do that. A few weeks ago, another dealer close by had this similar car. Of course they wouldn't budge either. I'm wondering if it is the same car. I should keep track of VIN numbers when I look at these things. We are in no rush though, so we'll wait until we can get one at a price I'm comfortable with.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    c'mon east, get 5k off your purchase and drive it back home. it's a lovely time of year for a road trip.(y)

William Redoubt likes this.
  6. Steve Lee

Steve Lee Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    madengr,
    I had similar experience like yours. Here in Houston Texas was abit more lets say non negotiable(at least did not charge additional premium).. Toyota dealer wanted MSRP and in top of that wait 3-6 months, and non refundable deposit. Prior purchasing Prius prime, I was reviewing "thread for all comfirmed prices" and saw "priusinme" purchased Prius Prime Advanced for $30,335 (vehicle only, with TM $1500 cash back, not including TTL), so I contacted the same dealer the price quoted was slightly different due TM providing $2500 cash back, so I purchased via phone. Went to Portland Maine, inspected vehicle and drove it to Houston Texas. I had Maine Lobster for dinner, drove in the morning, learned vehicle characteristics while driving and was nice time overall. There were two Prius Prime Premium for around $27700 (I do not remember if it included TM $2500 cash back, I think was not). May be you can consider shipping the vehicle if your financial calculation provides benefit in doing so.
    One week later "eguigal" purchased Prius Prime Advance for $29628 (vehicle only with TM $2500 cash back, no TTL).

William Redoubt likes this.
  7. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The sad thing here is that the markup between invoice and MSRP on Prime is barely 3%.
    That's probably why MSRP is what most dealerships who won't mark cars up will want.
    I sell for $500 over invoice right now, but that's typically within 1% of MSRP anyway.
    To keep the base price of the car down, they eliminated the normal dealer profit margin of 5-6-7% (what a Prius hybrid model - normal non Prime - offers) and just expected us dealers to suck it up. We don't have a choice. We don't get to negotiate. :( Lots of stores add extras like tint for $995 (riiiight) and fancy $2000-$3999 wheels and extraneous extras aftermarket to bolster profit and value.

mmmodem likes this.
  8. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The word, "invoice" is meaningless in a car deal because it does not reflect the final cost of the vehicle to the dealer. While I don't begrudge dealers making a reasonable markup I know that the profit on a sale is not based on invoice, even if no extras are included.

#48 William Redoubt, May 7, 2017
    Last edited: May 7, 2017