1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

WTH R ICE

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Sayhey, Mar 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sayhey

Sayhey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Priuschat rant:

This is for people who post on this forum using acronyms such as ICE. They are too lazy to type out the meaning. They are showing off that they know what ICE means and implying that the people who don't know are beneath them, which is a counterproductive elitist way of communicating. Further, I've never seen a moderator here call out posters who are lazy and elitist in their use of acronyms.

I come here for comprehension. I try to understand things that have no place in my normal intellectual life: the inner workings of a Prius. I've owned three Prius cars, the latest a Prime. I don't seek in-depth knowledge, but I want to know enough to use my car properly and to get out of it the advantages I paid for.

I start to read and usually, and almost immediately, I'm hit with ICE (or some other unexplained acronym, with ICE merely an example). I go to an acronym site to find what ICE means, and, of course, there are lots and lots of meanings, take your pick. I click away from this site then, angry at the failure to help people such as me to comprehend, which, ironically, I judge to be the primary purpose of this site.

Acronyms are walls. I would have thought encouraging newcomers would be a priority here. Not, apparently, to many members nor to the moderators, since I've never seen a poster dressed down for posting esoteric acronyms.

I don't care about spelling, as long as it is reasonably close. I don't care about grammar, punctuation. I do care that my mind is distracted - baffled - by acronyms known only to "insiders." My reading is disrupted, destroyed by frustration really, because I'm not smoothly comprehending.

The test for an acronym should be, can intended readers take it in stride, comprehending at a glance. FBI is one that most people here can understand without having their attention arrested. I don't know of an acronym pertinent to Prius discussions that would meet that test. If a person is interested in communicating knowledge about Prius, why then be so lazy as to build an acronym wall to stop regular folk who are working hard to absorb that knowledge? Makes not a bit of sense.

End rant.

Future rant: Toyota's fast odometers, overstated miles, overstated mileage.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  2. I agree concerning the use of acronyms. However, this forum is shared by users with different levels of experience and familiarity concerning vehicles and technology related to hybrid systems. So, if someone uses an acronym and you have not yet become familiar with it, then, ask them, and others should have the courtesy to provide a simple, plain, and straightforward response (without sarcasm) to that question. It is expected that through increasing interactions, you will learn some acronyms. In general, I understand and sympathize with the frustration that people experience with learning these for the first time, so that is why for my first few years here, I just stayed away from acronyms.

Also, technically they're not acronyms, they're called initialisms, if the letters put together do not actually make up a new word. For instance, "SOC" (state of charge) is not a word, so SOC is an initialism.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    "ICE" always gets my fur up, "engine" works just fine. Even sillier: "ice engine".

Did you mean to say speedometer? I'm fine with that, just means I'm going slightly slower than displayed. Believe that's legislated.

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Unfortunately, this was buried in the older Prius generation sections.
    PriusChat Glossary | PriusChat

A handful of common ones for hybrids.
    ICE- internal combustion engine. I think I first saw this in a high school class.
    MG or M/G - motor/generator. The electric side of the hybrid. In Toyota's, MG1 is the smaller one that mostly acts as a starter and generator, MG2 is the big one that propels the car and provides regen(regenerative) braking. AWD models have a MG3 to power the rear wheels.
    SOC - state of charge, the amount of charge in the battery.

Seeing how people are posting from tablets and phones, don't expect these short hands to go away. Plus, the manufacturers use them in the owner's manuals and marketing literature. People here didn't come up with TSS-P.

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I attempt to spell out Three Letter Acronyms i use on the first use in a thread, often with the initial letters capitalized. After that, I feel free to TLA away.

6. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I feel your pain! The Contemporary method of communication involves a lot of abbreviated words. It can be very very frustrating and sound elitist. I see it daily and it can be overwhelming in text messages. All these shortcuts imply an inherent impatience with language. Communication is so important, and not knowing all the "words" used in sentences is very frustrating. I speak here as a non-native English speaker who learned English at 7 years old, and had a reasonable grasp of the language in 6 months. I KNOW the pain of language barriers. You feel left out, outside the mainstream. When you read a passage here or someone's text, filled with acronyms or initialisms whose definitions you don't know, you do feel left out. I admit I have to use google too often for a translation of abbreviations used in communications I receive; it's a new habit you just about have to cultivate. I don't believe any of the people here are elitist; if you chat with them as I have for over a year, you get a sense of caring enthusiasm that they generate for fellow owners of their cars. There is humor, sarcasm, good natured ribbing, and certainly enthusiasm!! These people love their cars and like to share their experiences with others like themselves. These abbreviations are useful in that they make chatting quicker; you just hate to type out Internal Combustion Engine every time you want to use the term, when ICE is so quick, and catchy!
    As Good Folks we could do a bit more to help occasional or new visitors to the Forum.
    How to be more inclusive?? I guess we here, could come up with a glossary of terms, but then the new user would have to know that there is a glossary! We could as posters, include a definition, once in a text, for each abbreviation we use in the text. Maybe we could say, "There is a glossary of abbreviations" and indicate how to access this, at the bottom of our texts. I think there's a Newbie Section. We might stress a visit here to help our new posters. I guess it's all about what my late wife would say to me, "Henri, it's about patience and kindness".

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.
    AChoiredTaste.com

Dudley1030, benagi and Mendel Leisk like this.
  7. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome.
    We do not wake kindly to cussing here.
    What is is with new users who do not look in the Newbies forum. Do we need a definition for Newbie? :rolleyes:

You would have found this and saved us from a long post in a useless thread.

PriusChat Glossary | PriusChat

8. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  9. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Just to curtail the Second rant, op's third post.....

Toyota designed the prius for a 25" otside circumference tire and often sells the car with undersized tires, just like ICE, the tire discrepancy is a know issue, but you are certainly entitled to rant or rave or stay silent.

Fourth post...undersized 12v battery.

Fifth post...noisy interior.

10. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    My opposing rant is about users with a 6 year old forum membership and two whole posts that are just rants. And to boot, a rant about the definition of a term that a person reading the forum for 6 years would have already learned many times over if they had only paid a little attention. Multiple Prii owner or not, life if too short. Many more important things to worry about than this.

11. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I've always been able to post a question in PC if I need an explanation or education from any of the more knowledgeable members, and have always received quick, kind and gracious replies. It's always my perception that the members here actually show their willingness to help. Humility goes a long way. I hope the OP can get past their frustration, and learn to enjoy discovering the vast amount of information available here.

HPrimeAdvanced and Prodigyplace like this.
  12. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good point. I assumed a new user and did not check when they joined. If I had seen that they may have just got added to my ignore list as an obvious troll.

13. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    WTH? Why so mean? You are reading PC on a puter. Goog for the answer. UR rant is adorb.

HPrimeAdvanced and benagi like this.
  14. William Redoubt

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't often trust an answer from someone named Lucifer. Just sayin'!

15. William Redoubt

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I thought the newbie was people who drive the Prius unclothed. Oh wait a minute! That would be a nudie! What is a newbie?

16. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Seek and ye shall find... :D

upload_2018-3-11_12-40-8.png

Dudley1030 and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  17. A newbie is on some beach in Florida on Spring Break looking for nudies :LOL:

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a standard industry practice, not specific to Toyota. And as someone else already pointed out, forced by law in some jurisdictions.
    This isn't happening on my Toyotas, and shouldn't be happening on any modern cars anymore. The class action product defect legal industry fleeced several other car makers a decade or so ago, alleging warranty fraud from overreading odometers. Two of my past cars of different brands were covered, earning those lawyers fat reimbursement checks even though my particular cars displayed no such defect.

My Toyota odometers read about 0.2-0.3% low, not high. Subaru got hit by such a class action lawsuit, now my subsequent Subaru reads 1.8% low.

19. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

;) If you want to be that way about it, just the opposite side of the same coin, if that coin is in your area of believability.

20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Cargo cult definition: elaborate preparation, for something that's never coming. Case in point:

Are you ever going to use "engine" in a sentence, and have someone respond:

"Hang, what kind of engine are you referring to? Would that be internal or external? And does it have combustion, or no?"

HPrimeAdvanced, fuzzy1 and Mark57 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.