1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

WWYD? Totaled '08 Prius 200k miles?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Descovy, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Descovy

Descovy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What would you do? Prius was in a fender bender that will likely total the car. Should I buy back the salvage title and get it repaired? Or let it go? How much life is left in it with an original HV battery and 200k miles?

Here's the deal. We bought it new in '08. Those miles are all ours. We know how its been maintained. No real issues. It does burn oil now. Maybe 1-1.5 bottles between oil changes. The hybrid battery is still the original one.

We gave it to my 17 year old to drive. She was involved in a fender bender last week. A car cut in front of her to turn left in a school zone, and the other driver admitted fault. The accident tore off her bumper, impacted the collision bar which pierced the radiator. All internals under the hood were unharmed. Headlights are fine too.

It was towed to a Toyota dealership collision center, and their visual inspection came to $4200 of damage. But they say things like "you need a new hood" The hood has a ding but its otherwise fine. And its a dealership collision center. So they worry about matching paint and things like that.

I'm still awaiting on the insurance adjuster. Best case scenario is insurance agrees to fix it. But theres a good chance it will be totaled, based on the value of the car. So I'm trying to decide what to do in that scenario. A friend knows a small bodyshop that works on salvage titled cars. KBB value is about $4k. How much would you say I should invest in repairs?

An added wrinkle. I live in Houston. So Hurricane Harvey has made an impact on the used car market. I don't think I can trust anything out there in our price range. This is a 3rd car... the kid car. At most I can afford $6-7000. Although my husband has a lead on a nearby town selling their fleet of old cop cars for $5k.

So, do you think I should repair the Prius with a salvage title? Or let it ago (Assuming it gets totaled)

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you don't want to spend a lot of money on a good used car, I would fix it. But expect issues to start cropping up, you had a good run.

3. Descovy

Descovy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    If it were me, I'd buy it back, spend as little as possible to safely fix it considering it's a "learners car", and save the surplus for a new, Toyota HV battery ($2500 installed) when the time comes. Resell the battery when you retire the car.

Downside of a salvage title: you can't get full coverage insurance (but why get it on such a vehicle) and Toyota officially excludes them from any extended recalls/warranties.

5. Descovy

Descovy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Shocked, but I just got a call from insurance and they agreed to pay for the repairs.

Which is good for us.

fotomoto likes this.
  6. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Based on my experience....most people that fix up salvages are pretty good DIY'ers with body work. Or they have easy access to body shops across the southern border, where labor rates are much less.

Wait and see what you are offered by the insurance company. If it's around $4k, then I'd find a good, used Prius. Find someone well qualified to help you inspect the car. There are mobile mechanics that specialize in giving a potential purchase a thorough look. With your $6-7k budget, put the difference away for when the traction battery goes in your next Prius.

Edit: Just saw your post. Good luck. Insist on Toyota parts.

Edit 2: Wow, I just googled Texas' total loss policy and it's at 100% of the value of the car. In most other states, the insurance company would be required to write you a check.

7. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do you have the option of them writing you a check? If so I'd take the money and buy a nicer one with less miles.

8. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^ Respectfully do not concur.
    A ten year old car with 200K is normal miles with a KNOWN history.
    That's about as nice as 10-year-old cars get.

Good Luck!
    Start saving for a re-manned traction battery and this car can last until your baby girl is done with college.