1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

xenonsupply.com - H.I.D. kit. My personal review.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by jblackwell, Jun 9, 2012.

1. jblackwell

jblackwell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good evening community,

After seeing several folks contemplate which H.I.D. kits best for their needs and reading 100's of threads about positives and negatives of each, I decided to take the plunge and try one out for the Prius brother and sisterhood.

After reading about several kits problems related to ground shadowing and hearing xenonsupply.com's claim that their kit eliminated it, I decided to give it a try.

Here are some before and after photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next post will contain photos of the kit and those taken during the installation process.

2. jblackwell

jblackwell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Kit photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

torr310 likes this.
  3. jblackwell

jblackwell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Install photos.

The kit WAS SO EASY. I'm fairly competent when it comes to knowing my way around a car; however, this installation requires almost no technical ability. It is capable of being purely a plug and play if you are OK with an untidy mess of wires behind the headlight assembly, but I went ahead and taped the slim digital ballasts on the opposite sides of the trim panels as shown in the xenonsupply.com video.

Please let me know if you have any questions, requests, or concerns.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

KeithW2, torr310, GCPExit12 and 2 others like this.
  4. Steve Type-4

Steve Type-4 Trading HP for MPG

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the review and photos. I had Xenon Supply HIDS on my to-do list after seeing their ground-wire shadowless demo and install video on YouTube. Are these the premium slims or regular models? I was a bit skeptical about their pricing but your photos convinced me!

5. jblackwell

jblackwell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    These are the premium slim digital ballasts.

Steve Type-4 likes this.
  6. BigPete

BigPete Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Great to see a plug-n-play HID kit!!! I'm from the UK and this looks a great kit, VERY interested!

What would you say the % increase is light output wise over Stock bulbs? I have upgraded Philips bulbs that say 100% more output, they certainly add a LOT more light on the road etc than the stock so wondering whether the upgrade it worth it? Obviously you get a power gain aswell as these draw less.

Did you go for the 4300K or 6000K, i;d probably opt for the 4300k as it says these give out the max light.

scl212 likes this.
  7. zhutton

zhutton Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    BigPete: jump on eBay and have a look at 'Alltronix' seller. Customer service is awesome. I got the canbus, h11 35w 4300k kit from him

8. GCPExit12

GCPExit12 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks for the very comprehensive review and DYI, great pictures! Were you able to determine what caused the squares to appear above the cutoff line? They seemed to show up only at close range, which led me to believe the driving lights above the main projectors. But in your photos it looks like the same white as your HID's. Are they produced by the projector lens or did you change the color of your driving lights as well?

9. BigPete

BigPete Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok cool can you send a link, unsure how to search by seller, duh!!! Are they a straight fit like the ones mentioned in this post, look SO easy to fit.

10. MPGMachine

MPGMachine Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just picked up the same kit and its on its way. I bought directly off Xenonsupply and used their facebook code. Not sure if I need it but I also got the wiring harness to go with it.

Btw what kind of camera are you using to take the photos? Camera phone? I was hoping to get more output than that from the kit so Im wondering if its your camera compensating for a brighter light.

I'll snap before and after myself with my DSLR if I can.

11. BigPete

BigPete Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Looking forward to the shots!

SimiPrius likes this.
  12. pacanes

pacanes Curious Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I got the same kit about a month ago. In my install, the squares above the cutoff line was present with the OEM halogen bulbs as well. It must be the design of the projectors and has nothing to do with the HID bulbs. Overall, the light output has at least doubled and the color of the light makes things look more natural.

I also got the wiring harness. I didn't want to risk frying the stock wires/circuit/relay powering the ballasts. However, I didn't get it from them. I got 2 harnesses from eBay for $16 delivered. I wanted to have independent relay per side so if there is any problem with the relay or the fuse, only one light will go out and I can still drive home with the other light. With the single relay harness XenonSupply is selling, if there is a problem with the harness, both lights will go out :eek:. Didn't want to go there.

13. zhutton

zhutton Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pop this number into the search on eBay and it'll take you straight to the kit. 230604115475

And yes, straight fit, watch the video on xenon supply and how he fits it, it's a very good and clear video. Definitely pop the sound panels off with a Phillips though and hide the ballasts, nice and safe and also looks clean and tidy

14. LulzChicken

LulzChicken Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Great posts! Thank you!

15. Exterra1

Exterra1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you use the Premium, slim ballasts, and did you use the relay wiring harness, or harness's? I would think that to use the relay harness would be a real hassle since the battery is in the trunk, right?

16. jblackwell

jblackwell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This was the 6000k kit and the photos were takes with an iPhone 4S. Not the greatest low light camera, but it's what I had. The harness complete kit was $116 delivered and worth every penny in my opinion. Truly plug and play.

I contemplated the 4300k and may simply buy the bulbs at some point; however, I'm happy with the color of the 6000k. It is definitely more light than stock and the little squares in question were there before and after.

17. jblackwell

jblackwell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Plug and play....ordered the full kit with harness and slim digital ballasts. All contained under the hood and total plug and play. Screw messing with relays and all of that mess when it truly isn't necessary.

Order this:

Toyota Prius HID Xenon Low Beam Package Deal

18. pacanes

pacanes Curious Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    For the relay harness, you can tap into the positive terminal in the fuse box just right of the engine. No need to run a wire to the battery in the trunk. I saw a picture on another thread where in the fuse box. Here is a picture I copied from that thread. Other members did not use any relay harness and reported no problems. I did it because is was cheap insurance against frying your stock wires. It's a little more work but worth it in my book.

5000k HID lights in Winter Gray Prius IV | PriusChat

[​IMG]

mgb4tim likes this.
  19. BigPete

BigPete Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Great link! Have you got any photo's of the light output? I have upgraded Philips bulbs ib mine, unto 100% more light and I have to say they are pretty good, so just unsure of what to do!!!

20. zhutton

zhutton Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you want to ring me you can pm me?

4300k | 35W | H11

hid low with High set to 2 (Halogen High)

[​IMG]

Low beam set to 5

[​IMG]

Low beam set to 0

[​IMG]

LulzChicken likes this.