1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

xenonsupply.com - H.I.D. kit. My personal review.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by jblackwell, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Tencrore

Tencrore New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  2. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  3. jmrmotorhead

jmrmotorhead Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So if I ordered my kit this last week will it not come with the correct connectors to fit the stock wiring? If not XS will be getting an unhappy email! I bought this kit because I didn't want to mess with the cars wiring, I have the know how, just don't want to mess with a brand new car... I might be doing the relay harness harness after all....

4. Chwaz

Chwaz Blizzard Brigade #189

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So I also got mine today, and ended up having to tape one of the connectors on each side due to them taking a shortcut on connectors. Everything is fine, just have to see how it stand up after a heavy rain. photo 1.JPG

5. jmrmotorhead

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What temp are those? Looks wicked bright!

6. Chwaz

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  7. Christian Yang

Christian Yang New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Same thing here. I received the bulbs with the bare tabs. Rather disappointed. Unless they give me a fit, I will live with them... It took quite an effort to get them in, the bulbs put up a good fight. The plug n play ended up being a 2 hour fight. As far as the bare tabs, I taped them up nice and tight. We shall see. The bulbs themselves would not fit and had to make minor mods with a file. The guides were too big!!!... Worse comes to worse, will have to call them and get them to resolve it with a new set of bulbs. So far so good. The color so far in day light seems fine. Can't wait to tonight. I really like the ballast and I also like the the 3M tape they supplied. Really nice.

8. allen2oo3

allen2oo3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had a 4 hour drive through the desert last night and the lights were great. It's such a nice improvement over stock.

9. Chwaz

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes it is, makes a huge differences to the car IMO. Love the color of the 6k, haven't seen the 4.3k ones.

10. Chwaz

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just a update, I ended up calling Xenonsupply. First spoke to someone in sales, then was transfer to technical support. After giving my explaination on why they should have included the H11 wire caps. They ended up sending me a pair, it was shipped the same day. Will keep yall updated when it comes in.

11. jmrmotorhead

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Great to know! Thanks for the update.

12. crebble

crebble Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For those contemplating adding HIDs to your Prius: XenonSupply 27% off Black Friday sale!

I have the 6000K H11 kit in my C.

Coupon code "blackcyber2012"

Attached Files:

• 9.jpg
      9.jpg
      File size:
      140.1 KB
      Views:
    JLee81 and Chwaz like this.
  13. jmrmotorhead

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Darn! Should have waited! Mine came in today, and they must have heard our complaints. Stock plug was pre installed on the harness. I'm happy

Chwaz likes this.
  14. Habiru

Habiru Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I just got mine from xenonsupply. The plug came bare no harness & the bulbs metal tabs to screw into the headlight fixture. After 3 hours of trying to install the bulbs i have given up. i took a measurement of the factoy bulbs & the tabs are close to 1 3/4 inches apart while the xenon hid h11 bulb tabs are less than an inch apart ... short of taking the headlight out of the car to attempt to install these it does not appear that these can fit in the headlight clips. Visally from my angle it does not appear that these hid will fit in my 2012. I cannot see a connector that would catch.

15. jmrmotorhead

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I wonder why this is such a varying product? I haven't installed or tried to install them because it is a "xmas gift" for the fiance haha. I will report back when I get it in after Christmas.

16. Chwaz

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So I got the wire cap last week from them and here's what they look like. image.jpg

17. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I put my Xenon Supply 4300k HIDs in a few weeks ago on my 2012 Canadian Base and have been generally happy with the install. I also got just the bare spades for connection so I ordered these male sockets for about $8 (including postage) on eBay:

2x H8 H9 H10 H11 880 Male connectors connector HID Plug | eBay

They arrived today (13 days - great postal service for $2!) but it is too cold to go and put them on. Maybe this weekend. I think I will be able to pull the seals over the existing spades, install the spades into the plug and push the seal back in - no cutting or soldering, but if I have to I will. :)

The only slight gripes I have are that:
    1) The cut-off is a little low in my opinion and certainly much lower than my wife's Forester and other small SUVs. That has nothing to do with Xenon Supply, however.
    2) There is a decidedly purple spot at what I assume is the center of the pattern along the cut-off. This is just annoying as your eye gets drawn to it when you see the lights up against the back of a car or wall. It is not noticeable when driving without traffic ahead of you.

I have a few comments on other poster's issues:
    1) The 35 watt XS bulbs actually draw LESS current than the OEM halogens - even at start-up (2.9A with 4.2A max vs 4.6A steady state for the halogens). There is no additional "load/strain/stress" on the electrical system and no need for an auxiliary relay system. HID bulbs are about 4x as efficient at converting electricity to light so more light with less current. Since they use less current and are more efficient they also run cooler than halogen (assuming the same or lower wattage), and thus not much danger of melting anything around them.
    2) This may sound stupid, but I did it, so others might have too. Make sure when you reach in, that you are not removing the high beam (9005?) bulb - it will have a decidedly different tab arrangement!

3) Make sure the orange seal is in the right location. So that the bulbs will fit in their containers, the seal is NOT in the right location when it arrives. If the seal is not moved backward into the groove behind the bulb it will be impossible to get the bulb to fit in the housing. You need to remove the whitish retainer ring before you can move the seal to the proper location.
    4) Instead of starting with the left bulb which is difficult to access and see, start with the right one, after you have lifted off the radiator overflow tank - it is much easier to see what you are doing on that side.

torr310, jhinsc and Chwaz like this.
  18. Chwaz

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Very interesting point there Steve. Extremely helpful as well, I personally actually did remove the high beam at first. Yes the seal part can cause a lot of problems for someone when trying to install, I actually notice something wasn't in place when I was going over the kit before I installed it. Did ended up catching the plastic piece that was in the seal place, and ended up removing it and moving the seal. I can see how much troubles it might had caused the users that did ended up spending hours trying to get it in the housing.

I'm sure the ones that see this post before the installation will be very thankful.

I do have a question for you though, why the 4300k over the 6000k???

19. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am old and just wanted more light, not to make a statement! :) They are similar in color from most other HID-equipped cars since that is the color temp that most OEMs use (they are almost identical to my wife's Forester). I think legally, in Ontario, you are not supposed to be using lights above 4300k anyway (although many do). If I remember correctly most 6000k come in 55W instead of 35W. That is because the efficiency at 6000k is less than at 4300k (I could be wrong on this - others please jump in). I looked at 55w ballasts as well and they are still within the stock specs of the OEM lights so no worries there, but it's a Prius - I feel good when I lower the electrical requirements - 37% less power draw and more light! :)

Adam Leibovitch likes this.
  20. Chwaz

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I believe that both are 35w ballasts, I was just asking because when my 6000k bulbs goes out I was going to give 4300k a shot. Everything should still work fine, just would need to change out the bulb.