1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

XM activation?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by CharlesH, Mar 1, 2012.

1. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    When I got home with my new plug-in, I discovered that both the XM music and data (like traffic overlays on the map and gasoline station prices) were already activated. I was expecting to have to call XM and do something to begin the 3-month subscription. So did the dealer do something as part of their prep? Or is this a temporary activation that will expire in a few days?

This is the Advanced package, BTW.

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    They activate it at either the post or dealership. When a subsicription is about to run out they contact you for renewal based on your purchase info from the dealership.

1 person likes this.
  3. mozdzen

mozdzen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    And after you activate and your subscription runs out, it may take you 30 mins on the phone to get them to cancel your subscription. I had to call twice. The first call of 30 mins of hold time didn't get it deactivated. For this reason, I dare not take advantage of their 6 month specials.

4. CharlesH

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My bank has an online feature where you can generate temporary Visa card numbers that bill to your "real" Visa card, but have independent limits and expiration dates, and can be cancelled at will. They are promoted to deal with exactly the situation being discussed. So if a payee like Sirius/XM doesn't want to process your cancel request, you just cancel the temporary number and let them sort out the charge-back fees that Visa will assess to them when the payee tries to process a charge against the now-invalid card number.

1 person likes this.
  5. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Did you give the dealer your credit card number for them to activate the XM Radio trial? If not, they probably don't have your information on file to automatically renew you after the trial expires.

6. mozdzen

mozdzen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    I like that idea. Only draw back is that it is a pain in the neck.
    Netflix on the other hand lets me pause, cancel, change plans, etc all on the fly, so I have no worries about signing up for anything with them.

7. CharlesH

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    They don't have any credit card number from me. Toyota paid Sirius/XM for the trial, and when it expires, Sirius/XM will come to me for a subscription paid for by me. I am pretty much stuck with having to do this, since a lot of the Advanced Package features (such as traffic info) use Sirius/XM data.