1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

XM Antenna Install

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by mcontrols, Jun 6, 2007.

1. mcontrols

mcontrols New Member

Just got my XM kits from MetroTPN. Found the official Toyota installation instructions. Toyota instructions are for installing the antenna on the passenger side dash and the XM box goes under the back seat floor support. Not sure about the antenna on the dash. Anybody have their antenna on the dash? How does it look and work? Pictures?

I think I may install the antenna on the outside rear via the Eddy Bell method. Any Recommendations?

Thanks,

MC

2. richinlou

richinlou New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had an XM antenna centered on the dash of the Volvo (as far forward as I could place it) I had before I purchased my Prius. It worked very well. I've recently installed a factory XM unit in my Prius and placed the antenna on the roof per the instructions. I can't tell any difference in reception between the two locations.

3. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    JimboK, among others, has the XM antenna on the dash. I'm sure he'll post a picture soon. I have my Sirius antenna under my shark fin antenna. Neither Jim, nor I have noticed any dropouts, except for the usual things such as overpasses and car-eating dinosaurs.

EDIT: I got impatient ... Jim was taking too long. :lol: Check out this thread for more info/pictures.

4. mcontrols

mcontrols New Member

Thanks for the input guys. The Toyota installation guide shows the antenna on the passenger side dash. Even comes with a template that you put against the windshield and the A pillar and it has a notched spot where you put the ground plate on the surface of the dash. Then, you put the antenna in the center of the ground plate. NOTE: the ground plate is the same color and texture as the surface of the dash. The antenna is about the size of a quarter so it won't be too noticeable. Think I'll just install as Toyota says and see how it works.

MC

5. priusFTW

priusFTW Gen III JBL non Nav

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mcontrols @ Jun 8 2007, 10:20 PM) [snapback]458447[/snapback]</div>
    Well you can just temporarily install it there and see how your reception is. You may have transponders in your area. As for me, I tried it there, then moved it to the roof. The installation was quite simple for the roof too. I simply lifted up the boot in the rear cargo hinge area, ran the wire down and around and then followed the rest of eddie bell's instructions.

[​IMG]

6. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Skwyre7 @ Jun 6 2007, 10:44 AM) [snapback]456520[/snapback]</div>
    Hey, gimme a break. It was Friday night. I was busy. At my fiancee's house. Working on the honey-do list. (Of course!) ;)

I did mine in the winter with leaves off the trees. Now that spring is here I've found a couple of spots on my commute where tall trees line the road closely and where reception briefly drops out. It's nothing more than a minor nuisance, not enough to justify the work needed to move the antenna.

7. mcontrols

mcontrols New Member

Installed XM receiver this weekend. Followed the Toyota installation guide and installed the antenna on the passenger side dash. Looks good and works great.

I have to say that I was surprised at how easily the install went. Took less than three hours and I was really taking my time. I could probably do another in about an hour and skip Step One completely. Step 1 is all about removing the rear floor and stuff to get to the battery to disconnect it. I was doing nothing to the electrical system so I see no reason to disconnect the battery.

BIG difference between the Toyota method and the Eddy Bell process is that using the Toyota method eliminates having to disassemble the dash or even remove the radio at all. Simply reach behind the radio and plug in the receiver - DONE!!!!

Kinda of surprised too that the receiver installs under the floor support bracket under the back seat. I would have thought there would have been room under the dash but it is well out of the way and protected under the floor.

Thanks to all here for their input.

MC

8. pviebey

pviebey New Member

One idea I thought I'd share.

Once had window tint and GPS installed into a car. GPS wouldn't work (no sat lock).

After watching the guy fiddle around for a long time, I asked "Say, does that window tint have a metallic base?"

Uh Yeah.

Moved antenna to rear trunk deck (outside of glass), problem solved.

Any metal wrapped 'around' a XM, Sirius, GPS or any high frequency antenna will see significant decrease in signal strength, since the metal blocks it.

So, I'd just say for these type of antennas, an internal install will cause more frequent 'dropouts'.

My XM and my wife's Sirius antennas are both on the rear hatches of our Prius' (or whatever the plural is <grin>). Works quite fine, no problems, and good signal strength (although Sirius seems to drop more often with terrestrial eg tree) type interference).

Again, just a thought.

pat

9. funfinn

funfinn Junior Member

I installed per instructions and all was well until the trees got leaves, then its drop out city. I am going to relocate to roof when I get a couple of hours. If you are mainly on the 'open road' it should be no problem.