1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

XM install in 2008 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by glenthompson, Apr 6, 2012.

1. glenthompson

glenthompson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Just picked up a 2008 Prius and want to install a XM radio. This Prius has the navigation and JBL audio. How difficult is the factory XM kit to install. This site has instructions for the older Prius but not the 08. The instructions I saw required taking apart most of the dash which is more than I'd like to attempt.

thanks,
    Glen

2. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  3. motochris

motochris ^^ newb ^^

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    What interface are you guys using to add the XM?

4. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My car is a 5, JBL, NAV. My kit was the Toyota one ane it just plugged into the back of the HU. Hardest part was routing the antenna wire to the back! It's actually quite easy, any questions PM me!

1 person likes this.
  5. motochris

motochris ^^ newb ^^

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Just picked mine up yesterday.. first Prius ever. It's an '08 with 15,000 miles. Couldn't turn it down. It's a "package 2" I believe. No JBL or Nav. The first question the wife had was about adding sat radio. (it's her car) I saw the stuff from Coastaletech first, but doing searches here it looks like people use a few different setups.
    Any difference between the CT one and the Toyota one? The CT is $299. Do you buy the Toyota one thru the dealer only or are there other sellers?
    Thanks for any info... diggin this site already. :D

I'm planning to look into the switch for extended EV driving as well.

6. zubero

zubero Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I also planning the xm on my 2008, its got package 2. Dealer told me I can't have xm since I do not have the Sat button on my panel.
    Is it possible?

Thx for reply folks.

AT100 ? 2

7. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes he is correct. I have the JBL system, and that does have the Sat Button!
    Your alternative is to pick up one of the Roadie type units and if you have at least a line in jack, plug it there.
    If not, a FM retransmit unit will work on your radio. I had one put in my wife's Solara, that works out well! Amazon has a unit for 39.99 and would do the job, you have to install it!

Amazon.com: XM XDNX1V1 Onyx Dock and Play Radio with Car Kit (Black): Car Electronics
    This would work for you, and it's inexpensive!

8. zubero

zubero Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Kk6pd, thanks for your reply. So sad I am that the factory xm isn't possible in my car.
    Now if I plan to get the dash unit, which fm transmitter would be a good choice I do not have a line in jack.
    From my experience I've had not a good experience with the fm transmitters.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thx
    Z

Motorola Triumph ? 2.

9. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have run 2 of the XM with FM transmitter units, they had the antenna interface and antenna pass thru type. they have worked for years and actually sound great, for the price you cant beat them. I installed one in my 4Runner, and had Circuit City install the one I bought for the wife! If it's the only way to get XM, give it a shot!

Here is the unit I bought 2 of, I even have a spare if one breaks, it still sits in a box! Check this one, I trust it!

Amazon.com: Pioneer GEX-FM903XM - Satellite radio tuner: Electronics

10. zubero

zubero Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    KK6PD thx for your reply. I'm planning to get the on dash unit. The first one you mentioned and a GOgroove FlexSMART X2 FM Transmitter.

Let me know what you think.

Any other combination anyone using, which wont be too invasive with the dashboard?

Thanks for ideas :)

Motorola Triumph ? 2.

11. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So did you make the buy? Hopefully you are currently enjoying XM as you motor along!

12. zubero

zubero Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not yet :(. I went to best buy, looking to get the edge, installed by best buy. They said, it be hardwired thorough the dash into the stereo, which will ensure best sound quality. Installation should be $80.

Looking to get it in the future. Lemme know of you guys have a better ideas.

Motorola Triumph ? 2.

13. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is actually a good install price. It is about what I paid Best Buy to do my wife's Solara years ago!

14. motochris

motochris ^^ newb ^^

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    NO... that is incorrect!!
    You CAN add the factory XM radio parts to the radios regardless if they have the Sat. button on the front or not. Once installed, you use either the MODE button on the steering wheel or the AM button on the radio face to toggle between the Sat and all other functions.
    I installed the factory stuff on MY Package 2 radio not too long ago. Works great!

15. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Really.....?
    So you are saying that the software switch is there, just the lack of the physical button on the dash, and the mode button on the steering wheel toggles through and does find the SAT mode, Cool!
    Nice find!
    I stand corrected, and wonder how you figured this out.
    Did you just do a install on a hunch, or did you find something somewhere that tipped you off?
    Anyway, good tip, thanks!

16. motochris

motochris ^^ newb ^^

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Correct, everything is already there.
    Says right on the CoastalTech site--- Above are different views which are seen while the XM satellite receiver is in operation. To turn it on, just press the mode button on your steering wheel or press the AM button on your radio repeatedly until the SAT1, 2, or 3 screen is viewed. Then select your station or browse through the channels in the TYPE or style of music you desire.

KK6PD likes this.