1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

XM NavTraffic subscription - is it incuded?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by ramdulari, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Jim Calvert

Jim Calvert New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just checked. My area is Columbus, Ohio - and it is covered.

2. walterm

walterm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Having just gotten my new Prius with the XM (trial) service I have a question about how the traffic info works that I haven't seen a clear answer in the manual.

Do you have to be being guided to a destination by the Navigation system to get traffic warnings, or does it automatically show incidents ahead of you on the road you're on (assuming the road is covered by XM traffic)? I did see where you have to enable "show traffic alerts" on the map screen, but I've never seen anything show up. Perhaps I'm just driving at times there are no incidents to report?

3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

The way it worked for me (I let it run out and will not be renewing it) was when I had a destination plugged in and it was guiding me to a destination it would alert me in miles how long to an incident. Then I could click for more information. When just driving around, if there was an incident (construction, delay etc) it would put an icon on the screen on the road/point where the incident is, like a square rotated 45 degrees which looked like a road hazard sign. If I clicked on it it would bring up a thing saying what the incident was but it wouldnt go out of its way to alert me of it since it didnt know if I would be using that road...

1 person likes this.
  4. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Indyking,

Your right about the Nav Traffic...I actually one day put in a destination after leaving work and it told me "ahead on the route in 6 miles is construction for 4 miles" which I thought was really pretty cool.... as for my subscription price, since I have XM Whole House audio system as well as other components, I get the discount for the 2nd Reciever so it comes out less which is nice. I am still in the trial on NAV so have to decide by the end of November yet before taking or rejecting it....

I forgot about the colors on the map, thanks for bringing that up, I will have to keep an eye on that next time in case I see that...

Thanks!;)

5. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You probably know that you can also use voice commands as well..."ZOOM IN" AND "ZOOM OUT"

6. Earman

Earman CDN Prius III Technology Blue

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What kind of information is visible on screen when one gets traffic info from satellite radio?

I have set-up my system to include traffic info (none of the menu options were greyed out, so I am assuming traffic is available during the 3 months trial period). However, I don't seem to see any difference on the display when I select 'show' or 'hide' traffic info... I am in Vancouver which is covered by the seervice.

I tried both with a destination and just having the map woithout a destination, I don't see anything different for traffic.

Could someone post a pix (or a link) of what it looks like with traffic info on the map?

Thanks!

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I realise this is a few years late but for completeness, other parts of Canada (i.e. outside the GTA) starting getting traffic flow info around 2011 (up til then, it was just traffic incident such as construction or flooding).

In addition, the map database has to support traffic information. I upgraded my map from 8.1 (factory disc) to 13.1 in December and the number of roads that include traffic flow increased substantially (8.1 only showed a few highways such as Hwy 1 (Vancouver and Calgary), 99/Granville, Hwy 2/QEII/Deerfoot, Hwy 16/Yellowhead etc), now it includes major surface streets.