1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

XM radio installation in Los Angeles area

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by ernda, Apr 2, 2007.

1. ernda

ernda New Member

I'd like to get XM radio installed in my 2006 Prius. A dealer quoted about $950 for parts and instalaltion. Anyone here can recommend a good place to get it installed in Los Angeles? Is it better to buy the unit online? If so, is it better to get Toyota's factory unit? I would appreciate any suggestions. I'm not interested in installing this myself. Thanks very much

2. greenani

greenani New Member

Although mine is a 2007, you might want to try Toyota in Glendale. They quoted me $443.67 (tax inclusive) for the xm receiver to work through the navigation touch screen, and $160 for install (don't know about tax). Of course, it depends on whether your Prius is XM ready or not, that may add more parts to install - and jack up the price I'm sure.
    I purchased a Toyota aftermarket unit, from Coastal, that I thought I might install myself, but I'm also considering having a pro do it. (BTW, it's $100 less, comes with 3 months free subscription, it shipped as scheduled and arrived on time- I mention this because other members have not have the same possitive experience with them). The installer's name is Norman, 323-816-1941. I have not gone to see him with the job yet, as I just found out about him today. Hope this helps.

3. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's insane! If you can get your hands on the reciever and antenna you can use the guide I'm going to post later on installing a DICE kit to install the SAT kit. But honestly, it's really easy. A pro can do it in less than 30 mins. They would be making 10 to 25 bucks a minute off of you.

4. Lesliermm

Lesliermm New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Would be interested in knowing how it goes with Norman! I need help with Coastal install too!

5. malibucarl

malibucarl Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

If you live in the Thousand Oaks area call AUTO ESSENTIALS. 805-371-9983.
    They're very good.
    Carl

6. BethlehemPrius

BethlehemPrius New Member

Hey there,

I paid toyota for the XM unit and had them install it, I would NOT recommend it! They put my antenna on the windshield inside! lol No where close to a professional installation, however it is where toyota tells them to place it! stupid.

I would recommend using "http://www.factoryinteractive.com/" I bought my Sirius unit from them and everything from them worked great and had no issues. The only item is that you cannot see the full text with Sirius on the MFD, but i believe you can with the xm.

I got the install spec sheet from my dealership, i would ask yours for the install sheet, if you can't get it I will share them with you :)

Also the site above provides you with install instructions. I would not be afraid to try it your self, it really isn't hard at all. Just time consuming.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions. (if you were close to PA i would install it for you, love doing that sort of stuff in cars)

7. greenani

greenani New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lesliermm @ Apr 3 2007, 04:04 PM) [snapback]417303[/snapback]</div>
    I already mentioned to Norman the EV mod, he didn't know what I was talking about and was not knowledgable about any other mods, like the hitch. I'm hunting for other possibilities to install the Coastal mods. I got a lead for Al & Ed's in Burbank, will keep you posted. UPDATE: Called Al & Ed, Burbank, not familiar with the mods at all, plus 100 per hour!!! Also called Precision Auto (spoke to Jason), they do know the mods, at $60 per hour. The XM is a 2-hour job, and if you have more mods planned like me ;-) it'll take about 5 hours. I'm reconsidering and may try to do it myself...

8. Lesliermm

Lesliermm New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Spoke with Richard at Auto Essentials in Thousand Oaks 805.371.9983 and says he has done Coastal Tech installs before. I think I will drive there and use him.

9. keithnteri

keithnteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lesliermm @ Apr 4 2007, 04:02 PM) [snapback]417874[/snapback]</div>

I'm in Oxnard, did the install myself. Took about 30 minutes. I would be happy to help if you want to do it yourself. The hardest part is getting the cable into the back of the head unit with fat hands, everything else is a cake walk.

Let me know if you decide to install yourself and save a few bucks.