1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

XM Radio problem - poor connection - intermittent

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by jpmcdonough, Apr 21, 2010.

1. jpmcdonough

jpmcdonough Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have a 2010 Prius IV with built-in XM. The other day when I left the house the XM made a helicopter sound and finally gave up. No radio, no traffic. The AM/FM/CD all worked fine. I tried turning it off and on but no joy.

I travel the same route every day and live in a big city. I do not have reception issues.

That day at lunch I went out and started the car. XM was fine.

I have had it fail a couple of times since then. I can recover by turning the car completely off and back on again.

Is this a problem others are having? Thanks. The car is 2 months old and is otherwise fine.

2. thebeed

thebeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yes, the exact same problem and the exact same solution.

3. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Ditto that. The reception seems much more sensitive to weather issues than XM & Sirius radios I've had in other vehicles.

4. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Might want to check your connections. The XM tuner plugs into the 2010 audio system at 2 spots: 1) under the driver's seat and 2) behind the head unit itself. Could be that someone sitting in your backseat somehow kicked the connector, or maybe unplugging it and blowing some air in it will help.

That said, the 2010 XM antenna is probably one of the worst I've ever experienced reception-wise, though that doesn't sound like your issue.

5. shaun5stu

shaun5stu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've had that problem before. It seemed to me like the problem occurred when I initially turned on the radio in an area where no satellite signal was available - in a parking garage for instance. This is probably totally false, but that's my impression.

6. jpmcdonough

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have had the problem leaving home - although the radio works in the garage except the one time. I've also had it leaving work, where I am blessed with uncovered parking.

Toyota said to call XM and have them send a reset signal, which I did. Of course, it was working then anyway.

7. jpmcdonough

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Strangely enough - since I had them reset the radio, no problems.

8. resoh02

resoh02 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Its my FM reception that fades, I drive in my driveway and the radio is clear at one point the signal fads, I turn the car off and then back on with accessories only and the signal is perfect, I start the car and it fades away. By the way this is in the same spot in the driveway. I have had this problem ever since I bought the car in June. I get emails and phone calls from Toyota that they are so sorry and they are working on the problem, they think its the tuner, I think its interference from the Hybrid system. To date I am no farther in getting it fixed that I was 6 months ago. Also the dealer put in a new radio twice and still the same result. Its frustrating to pay for something and the dam thing doesn't work.

9. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There was another thread some time ago on this same subject. Several people stated they have had this problem. Search the forum for this thread.

I had this "helicopter" sound twice when I first got the car. It occurred both times when leaving the garage in the morning. I lose the XM signal when driving in the garage at night but it normally reconnects when I drive out.

The first time this happened I was able to turn the Audio off and back on. The second time this did not work and I had to stop and then restart the car.

I have not had this happen since in over a year now.