1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

XM radio released yet?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by kente777, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Jim1eye

Jim1eye Shaklee Ind Distributor

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    It doesn't display enough characters? You're driving a car, not reading a book. :blink: It's a RADIO! :rolleyes:

Anyway, I got mine at Factory Interactive http://www.factoryinteractive.com/PriusXM/

The unit plugs into the back of the MFD, and the instructional DVD is very thorough.

But pick yourself up a Terk XMicro antenna so you can hide it under your sharkfin!

2. jsf

jsf Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jim1eye @ May 2 2006, 06:12 AM) [snapback]248490[/snapback]</div>
    I had the unit with the 10 character limit in the 2005 car that I sold. From my experience, it is annoying having the title and artist truncated. I will be waiting for the new unit for my 2006.

3. PriusInsight

PriusInsight New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BobR @ May 2 2006, 07:22 AM) [snapback]248461[/snapback]</div>

OK, I am confused. I thought that all of the Prius systems are SAT compatible and you only need to set it up as a Sat Radio.

Why do you choose the CD Changer interface?

How did you install both the SLX and the SLI since they are supposed to plug into the same connector on the Prius radio?

I thought that one had the choice of either a Sat Radio plus AUX in, IPOD plus Aux in, or Double Aux In from Vais.

Thanks

4. BobR

BobR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusInsight @ May 3 2006, 06:37 PM) [snapback]249348[/snapback]</div>
    The SLX can be setup as SAT, CD or MD Changer. I tried it setup as a CD Changer as an experiment. I like it better set up as SAT. This feature is for Toyotas that don't support SAT on their radio.
    The cable that comes with all the Vais products is a Y adapter; so additional devices can be attached. As an experiment, I had the AIC-100i setup as a CD Changer, SLI as a MD Changer installed at the same time.

5. PriusInsight

PriusInsight New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BobR @ May 1 2006, 02:25 PM) [snapback]248015[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you very much for sharing your photos and the details of the installation in your Prius.

Do you have pictures of the SLX and the XM Direct installed?

Which glove box did you install in?

Do you think there is a place or space for the SLX and the XM Direct BEHIND the glove box or under the Dash?

I am thinking of mounting my XM antenna on the dash, on the drivers side where the puch out is visible on the top of the dash. I have placed the antenna there on the dash with a PNP Sat Radio and it works VERY well.

Do you have pictures of how your antenna was routed from the roof to the car interior?

Lastly, With the XM Direct, can you choose to display channels by type (Rock, News, Sports, etc, then select the partiuclar channel?)

Thank you again.

6. BobR

BobR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusInsight @ May 6 2006, 11:04 PM) [snapback]250945[/snapback]</div>
    The XM Direct is just sitting in the lower glove compartment. Using the method devised by Craig (see attached) I was able to place the SLI and SLX behind the radio. Because of the shape of the XM Direct, using this method, I wasn't able to place it behind the radio. I'm sure if the whole dash is taken apart, the XM Direct would fit.

I don't have any pictures of how I ran the antenna, I'll try to take some this week, but it is very much like the directions for installing the cable for the factory XM Radio.

With the factory radio, if I select one of the "Type" buttons, the radio will switch types. If "Type Seek" is selected, the radio will switch to the next channel of that type.

7. PriusInsight

PriusInsight New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BobR @ May 7 2006, 10:45 PM) [snapback]251243[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you for the detailed explanation and Craig's Instructions. Craig put the SLI into the glove box. I assume that you installed the SLI and SLX behind the PRIUS radio, not the XM Direct.

It also seems that the XM direct has more features, not just longer text, than the Solara's XM receiver. Is this correct?

Thanks.

8. BobR

BobR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusInsight @ May 7 2006, 10:40 PM) [snapback]251269[/snapback]</div>
    Because of the limited opening, I couldn't fit the XM Direct behind the radio. The SLI and SLX are narrower than the XM Direct, so the XM Direct is sitting in the glove compartment.

9. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Is the Toyota XM kit released yet for the '06 Prius? It was scheduled for last month. I really do not want a unit without the full display... and I do not want a portable.

/Jim

10. PriusInsight

PriusInsight New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(flynz4 @ May 14 2006, 01:48 PM) [snapback]255216[/snapback]</div>
    Yes.

My toyota dealer ordered one and received it one week later. It is waiting for me ...

11. jsf

jsf Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusInsight @ May 14 2006, 02:02 PM) [snapback]255358[/snapback]</div>
    Make sure it's the Toyota part they ordered for the Prius. When I had my 05 and contacted the parts dept at a couple of dealerships, they were willing to order the unit for the Solara that is the same as the unit on the market with the 10 character limitation.

12. PriusInsight

PriusInsight New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jsf @ May 14 2006, 11:28 PM) [snapback]255475[/snapback]</div>
    This is only for the Prius specific Installation Kit. They have not ordered the radio for me yet...

I do not know if the new kit changes the 10 character limitation.

I do know that the TERK XM Direct with the VAIS interface can display at least 16 characters...

13. jsf

jsf Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusInsight @ May 15 2006, 05:10 PM) [snapback]255975[/snapback]</div>
    Just checked with one dealer who said the Toyota unit is not out yet. I recall reading, don't remember where though, that the Toyota unit will provide 30+ characters per line.

14. gwelgrin

gwelgrin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    XM Receiver and Fit Kit for the Prius are now in stock!

I just called and confirmed availability with two dealers in my area.
    They both said they can have the reciver and fit kit in one day.
    I was quoted $199 for reciver and $100 for the Fit Kit.
    I will place my order as soon as I finish posting....

15. DocToss

DocToss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gwelgrin @ May 23 2006, 01:10 PM) [snapback]259795[/snapback]</div>

Take pics of your install so we all can do it.

16. gwelgrin

gwelgrin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocToss @ May 23 2006, 03:06 PM) [snapback]259836[/snapback]</div>
    Although I pride myself on being an uber-geek I am going to let the dealer install this while I am out of town. Sorry.

17. jenlynmc

jenlynmc New Member

I got the call and got mine installed today! Finally!!!

18. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'll hopefully have these up in the shop by the end of the week, and I'll do my best to beat the $299 total price.

19. dvdirv

dvdirv Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had my XM installed yesterday as well. I did notice the 16-character limit.

I paid $499 including installation. Checking with other dealers here (in Indianapolis), they were asking from $470 to $630 with installation, plus tax.

So be sure to check out all the competition before you order the XM. "Official" Toyota charges are $199 for the tuner, $100 for the mounting kit and $200 for the install.

But dealers may not adhere to these prices! :unsure: