1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

XM Radio Update

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by funpilot, Mar 21, 2004.

1. rflagg

rflagg Member

It's sad their customer service has dropped off - but, expected as they grow (well beyond 1.7 million now). When I joined up a few years back, they were great - no wait times, very helpful, etc. Nowadays, they can never find my account by last name. I'm glad I don't have to deal with the cust. service much anymore, and that I'm near enough to go complain in person if it ever gets bad enough. :)

-m.

2. ifftster

ifftster New Member

I would like xm radio but have hesitated not because of the install, but the antenna. i guess i'm a bit anal, but i would like a more aerodynamic antenna like i see on other cars. is it possible to purchase a better antenna from ,say, toyota maybe.are the wire connections universal?

3. Jon

Jon New Member

Hi Ifftster,

You can use any XM antenna that you might find at a BestBuy or Circuit City as long as it is dual-arm (a green and yellow connector) instead of the pink connector single-arm. You might be able to find a antenna splitter if you find a single-arm antenna you like.

-Jon

---
    PriusXM
    www.priusxm.com

4. ifftster

ifftster New Member

thanks for the info jon :D

5. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

Jon, is there anyway to host a very compressed video of the DVD?

If i could watch the DVD before buying, i could gauge if i felt comfortable or not about doing it. Im sure after watching it i would buy one because i absolutley LOVE Xm radio and would love to have it in my prius, i just would like to see what i would be getting myself into first...

6. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Putting together a montage of the installation video is a good idea for prospective buyers.

7. Jon

Jon New Member

Certainly, I will see if I can put something like that together. I'll be out of town all this week, so it might not be until after that.

We do, of course, sell just the DVD if you want to check it out.

https://secure.priusxm.com/order.html

Thanks for the idea.

-Jon

---
    PriusXM
    www.priusxm.com

8. wagnerism

wagnerism New Member

The Toyota activation offer is for three free months with free activation.

I bought the XM kit from metrotpn.com for $255 and Eddie Bell was wonderfully helpful - even including some installation instructions he created himself for release to the public domain.

I called the regular customer service / activation number and told them I had a factory installed XM and that there was a promotion for free activation and some complimentary XM service. It was as easy as pie!

Good luck to all who get this option - it's dang neat!

Richard

9. toyotapartsnow

toyotapartsnow New Member

I have updated the installation instructions with help from Richard and many others. The size is only 1.8mb instead of 12mb.

Here is the link. Eddie's XM Install Guide - metrotpn.com

You have to right click and save as.

Thanks to all that have helped with this guide. :)

10. Jon

Jon New Member

The install method that Eddie offers in his manual is great. I still think it's worth the money to buy the kit from PriusXM as we also include high quality mounting fixtures and a cable fixture in addition to the highly-acclaimed DVD. You can see the amount of pressure needed to remove the panels, etc. You also get to see me say stuff like "doodad".

In fact, Eddie asked me for a DVD a few weeks back (which I sent him), and judging from his manual, I'm guessing he decided our method was good.

So, read Eddie's manual, but buy the kit from us and you'll get the DVD and the mounting fixtures too. It's definitely worth it.

Regards,
    -Jon

---
    PriusXM
    www.priusxm.com