1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

XM, Sirius and NPR

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by innov8v, Jun 16, 2005.

1. innov8v

innov8v New Member

Like many others, I'm considering satellite radio for my new Prius. I've read posts from a couple of people who've said they chose Sirius over XM because Sirius broadcasts NPR and XM doesn't. I'm a big NPR listener, so that could well be the deciding factor in my case, too. My question is, once you go with satellite, does that mean that the stations you'd normally get with a standard radio (e.g. NPR, local news) are no longer available to you if they're not beamed/broadcast via the satellite?

2. 925PriusGuy

925PriusGuy Winter Gray & Blizzard Pearl Pri

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If I understand your question correctly....my response is that XM or Sirius are separate services (just like AM/FM/CD) are tuning choices.

Your satellite radio would give you additional options for stations (for a monthly fee) and your current setup would still be available (since AM/FM is free). If you currently receive NPR on FM or AM then you could go with either XM or Sirius for satellite radio service.

Hopefully I addressed your question.

3. innov8v

innov8v New Member

Thanks for the info, 925PriusGuy. I knew that XM and Sirius are separate, competing services. What I didn't know was whether am/fm stations available via standard radio (and, yes, I do get NPR on fm) would still be available once I go with whichever satellite alternative I choose. With that issue off the table, I'll probably need to make the decision on the basis of other factors, including which is easier to integrate as an after-market add-on to the Prius. Anyway, thanks again.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can still get all your regular radio stations and can listen to NPR on regular radio any time you want.

5. FourOhFour

FourOhFour Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sirius does have an NPR feed, but the schedules (NPR Now, NPR Talk) are rather lacking and you may find the compression on the NPR stations (like all the other talk stations) annoying (it's below FM quality). A few of NPR's music shows are on music stations, where the sound quality is much better.

I'd suggest listening to the music using the free trials you can get on Sirius's and XM's web sites, and then decide. You can get NPR almost everywhere with a normal radio, so unless your local NPR is really bad for some reason

6. Steve Zettel

Steve Zettel New Member

Actually, XM Radio also offers an NPR feed. Channel 133.

Steve Z
    near Libby, MT USA

7. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:7e34d2cc46]Which service is Bob Edwards on?[/font:7e34d2cc46]

8. Steve Zettel

Steve Zettel New Member

That would be Channel 133 XM Radio, Bill.

Steve Z

9. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant\";p=\"99251)</div>
    XM :crazyeyes:

10. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:b67e5a9970]Thanks, guys. XM will be my choice.[/font:b67e5a9970]

11. petteri

petteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Don't forget that you can also go to:

xmradio.com

and

sirius.com

for full channel line-ups and more....

XM Public Radio has Bob Edwards but it is not NPR.

12. innov8v

innov8v New Member

Thanks to all for your insights about programming availability. Next question: for those of us not blessed with the "handyman gene" (like yours truly), is there any sort of consensus about what's the best way to get necessary equipment for either satellite service installed? As of now, is it something Toyota is offering, or would it be better to find an installer at Best Buy, Circuit City or some place similar? Also--and this probably should have come first--any consensus about where's the best place to buy the equipment necessary? I've read various posts on both equipment and installation, and it seems as if, at least as of recently, there's not been a clearly most efficient way of taking care of both issues and ultimately ending up with satellite service. Am wondering if that's still the case, or if things have shaken out to the point where a relatively painless solution has emerged.

13. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got XM MyFi since I do not have the vehicle handyman gene. However, I also got it because it has the built in FM modulator and a 5 hr recording storage with a timer, and the home, vehicle, and portable sat receivers. This way I can pull it out of the car and use it at home, work, or while I am on a business trip. I did pay Best buy to run power directly in and the satellite receiver in the ceiling.

14. innov8v

innov8v New Member

Tadashi,

Did you buy the hardware directly from XM or somewhere else? Did you need to buy some sort of adapter/adapters that make it work/fit in a Prius, or did Best Buy handle all that as part of their installation? Thanks.

15. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got them from BestBuy. The MyFi pack comes with everything for the home, car, and mobile (sat receivers, mounts, cases, etc). I paid $40 extra to have the vehicle mounting and power adapter install. Note they will chop the cigarette lighter end off of the power cord to put a permanent power connection. They just run it to the power adapter line so your unit knows when to auto shut off when the car does.

No adapters needed unless you want to mount on the dash. I think it is a $12 mount. I have mine mounted on the plastic wall in between the driver and passenger. I have to use the remote (also included) to change the channel. I did this since the wife needs to be able to see the LCD otherwise I would have mounted it on the dash in the left corner of the dash by the small window.

16. AngelFish

AngelFish New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am not sure where we got our xm radios (my husband ordered them online) Anyone of the places like bestbuy, curcuit city, etc should be able to install it, or you can try your local Toyota dealer. (You might even be able to get them to order it for you.) Personally, I prefer having the toyota one, since it adds to your list in the menu button, instead of adding another 'gadget'.

Ours goes through the cycle as: AM/XM1,2,3/FM1,2/CD/Tape

17. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah the BestBuy price was the same as online so I just went there since I have a rewards card. I wish I could have it in the OEM unit and be able to use my portable when my car unit is off. The whole reason I got the MyFi is for the 5 hr storage and portability (for business trips and use in the house).

Not sure if they are still doing it but about 1 mo ago they were offering free install if you got the radio.

What would be nice is a removeable card that I can insert into any unit.

18. 925PriusGuy

925PriusGuy Winter Gray & Blizzard Pearl Pri

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I bought mine from Metro Toyota along with other Toyota add-on's. They also sell on Ebay, but I found their web site had a lower price for the XM kit. Check them out at: Metro Toyota

19. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(925PriusGuy\";p=\"99414)</div>

Is that XM kit integrated into the Prius like the one Coastal sells for $299? Coastals was a good deal when they had the one year of free service, but now it seems a little more expensive.